The Student Room Group

EPQ

So I am doing maths physics and music at a level. Wanting to study aerospace engineering at uni, and I’m really undecided whether to take on the epq or not. 3/5 of my uni options don’t accept it to lower the entry requirements or even ucas tariff points so to me it doesn’t seem worth it. Just looking for some opinions :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by samashcroft05
So I am doing maths physics and music at a level. Wanting to study aerospace engineering at uni, and I’m really undecided whether to take on the epq or not. 3/5 of my uni options don’t accept it to lower the entry requirements or even ucas tariff points so to me it doesn’t seem worth it. Just looking for some opinions :smile:

Hiya there,

The EPQ takes a lot of effort over a good few months, and you don't want it getting in the way of revising for your A-Level subjects :redface:. If you enjoy writing essays and are really keen on studying a completely different topic than ones you cover in your A-Levels, then do the EPQ - but if it's just so that you can write a good PS and look good for unis then don't do it! There are so many other ways that you can show your passion for aerospace engineering - for example, by shadowing an aerospace engineer or doing an aerospace engineering free course online on websites like FutureLearn.

Hope this helps!

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply I am not keen on writing essays at all so I just thought it would be more of a pain than anything. I was looking to do it on a physics topic as well so it kind of read out of place in my personal statement anyway. I’ll have a discussion with my teachers and see if I would be able to drop.
Thanks again!
How are you finding music A-level, what's it like?
Original post by erin11
How are you finding music A-level, what's it like?

Ngl I actually really like it, I took it to take off some stress from maths and physics and it does however it is quite full on. If you did edexcel music at gcse you’ll know about the 8 set works we did. Now we have 13/14 set works but working that set work there are 2 or 3 songs or even more so it’s a lot more content but pretty much the same level of difficulty. Not much changes apart from the size of the course. Definitely worth doing if you’ve got good facilities at your school or college. Very fun and creative subject
Thanks, this was good to know. I did edexcel gcse. Currently Im very conflicted whether to drop French to do music.
Ngl I actually really like it, I took it to take off some stress from maths and physics and it does however it is quite full on. If you did edexcel music at gcse you’ll know about the 8 set works we did. Now we have 13/14 set works but working that set work there are 2 or 3 songs or even more so it’s a lot more content but pretty much the same level of difficulty. Not much changes apart from the size of the course. Definitely worth doing if you’ve got good facilities at your school or college. Very fun and creative subject
AAA will always look better than 'BBB and an EPQ' - if you have any doubts about if you have enogh time to do an EPQ without messing up your A levels, then dont do it. No Uni requires an EPQ.

Probably not worth it other than just doing it for interest imo :smile:
AAA will always look better than BBB and an EPQ.

Quick Reply

Latest