Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Quick question for anyone one out there...

Hallnet, i dont want to use any naughty p2p programs but, has anyone met any opposition from using regular download sites like rapidshare? Usually download from there using a download manager.

Any help welcomed

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't download stupid amounts you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaSPLuNK!)
    As long as you don't download stupid amounts you will be fine.
    So 700mb in week... thats no tooo excessive right?

Hey IDT, good choice gradudated from that course last year. If you want any old reports or notes let me know. The final year is a *****!

ReputationRep:
    The other consideration is the proximity of other like minded people...

You no longer actaully need to download the latest episode of lost for yourself, becuase you mate three doors down the corridor already has and is sharing it around on his new 26GB usb pen drive he's so very proud of!

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnef)
    So 700mb in week... thats no tooo excessive right?

Hey IDT, good choice gradudated from that course last year. If you want any old reports or notes let me know. The final year is a *****!
    I currently am doing that in an average day of web surfing. A guy below me has downloaded 60gb worth of stuff on Usenet (worth investing in )

and yeah I keep getting warned not to get in the way of 3rd's years during the run up to the degree show ha

*edit

http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?page=10 I use this atm to see what I use - I try not to go over a gb a day.

ReputationRep:
    Peer-to-peer type software is blocked on HallNet and will quite likely result in your getting a ban from HallNet if you are caught using it. Likewise if you are caught downloading copyrighted material (I think, but am not 100% sure on this, for this to really be enforced the copyright-holder has to tell the university that a student has been downloading their work illegally).

You only get one or two warnings (ie: shorter bans) if you abuse hallnet, particularly with respect to P2P - after that it's a permanent ban and possible university disciplinary procedures.

With regards to non-P2P usage, as long as you're not causing a problem for other hallnet users due to excessive use, that's generally ok.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=JaSPLuNK!]I currently am doing that in an average day of web surfing. A guy below me has downloaded 60gb worth of stuff on Usenet (worth investing in ) QUOTE]

Whats usenet? I miss the days of sharescan and mytunes redux!

ReputationRep:
    just download, ive never had any problems. + They have to give you a warning before they block your net.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.