Turn on thread page Beta

NEED Advice Kind people! watch

ReputationRep:

Hi all, I really need your help as atm I am so confused and angry with life..(Here goes)

Basically I am 16 yrs old currently doing my A levels in sixthform. I picked As Chemistry English Biology and Sociology, hoping to have some sort of career in medicine.(yes I know its competitve). My GCSEs went really bad, I got really ill last minute, being predicted 4 A*s 5 As 3 Bs. In April I actually got 1 A 9Bs 2Cs, which was a huge dissapointment but acceptable as my sixth form understood my circumstances. Ok, so today I had chemistry in the afternoon, I walked in and got told "I had been kicked off the course" because I got a U in a small test... Several other people were also kicked off, some people started to even cry. However I still remained in her lesson, whilst other people left I still showed her I was determined and even wrote down the homework she set. I spoke to her after the lesson endend, after several attempts of me pleading and explaining myself she walked out on me.... Since then my heads just been going round in circles. Having being kicked out of chemistry I just lost my mind, my whole career and dreams just fell apart... I spoke to my parents who are understanding and behind me 100%. I also spoke to a friend of mine he suggested I should :Take this year out to resit my GCSEs 5 of them getting my A*s/As in them and also build up on my personal statement for uni, aswell as getting tuition for a whole year for chemistry. This would mean me dropping out of my current sixth form and studying for my GCSEs and once I have got my GCSE results in August, I should reapply to my same sixth form or another one and take up my subjects, Chemistry ( having being tutored for a year i should be better at it) Biology sociology and English... Any advice on what I should do and not do ? wether this is a good option ? or if there are any other options? (this is my first post so please bear with me) atm I cant think straight and need another opinion from someone. Any advice is most welcome and could change my life. Thank you for reading this.....

P.s Deadline for decision is monday....

ReputationRep:
    Wow! You have a lot of questions

Personally I wouldn't be looking at re-sitting GCSE's - your results can be explained on your teachers reference when you apply to university

My advice would be sit down with a very large sheet of paper and write out all of your options (Dropping out of sixth form etc) then leave it. Come back to it tomorrow with a clearer head and reconsider your options - write down pros and cons and get other peoples opinions

Also try talking to your tutor and/or your head of sixth form, perhaps your chemistry tutor can be persuaded to change her mind.

Best of Luck

ReputationRep:
    What was the test? Seems odd that they'd kick people off the AS course half way through this term :eek3:

Could you not transfer to another 6th form?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Erm, test was on chemistry unit 1 which kinda covered some basic knowledge of chemistry. erm... I really dont know what to do... I already spoke to my sixth form and my friends, half my friends are saying its best to leave and half are telling me to stay at my current sixth form and just forget medicine... hmmmm ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawn the Sheep)
    Wow! You have a lot of questions

perhaps your chemistry tutor can be persuaded to change her mind.

Best of Luck
    Thnx for your advice, but trust me nothing will change her mind.... Ive even got my parents to speak to her, shes still saying no...

ReputationRep:
    Erm, you've already asked this before: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post15314942

And I've already given you some advice, but that thread did go OT (apologies), so in case you missed the advice last time:

OP: Whilst your situation is not ideal, having drastic thoughts like suicide will not help you as it'll just mean you can't think straight. You need to keep focussed and keep thinking about what's right for you.

Your friend's suggestion seems adequate enough. Seeing as the school seem like they won't be compromising on letting you do Chemistry, then perhaps dedicating the year to improving your GCSEs substantially and getting practice at your A Levels would be good. More than just getting practice at AS Chemistry, you could actually take it independently somewhere else. Just make sure the syllabus you follow is the same as the one your sixth form do, so that then you can enter into the second year of Chemistry. I'd presume that would be okay.

Other than that, have you thought of any alternate career choices? Medicine is incredibly competitive and so, so many deserving students just don't get the chance to go into it. Perhaps you should think about a similar branch, such as BioMedicine? It would be good if you found a different career that was similar but you could get into without Chemistry, then you wouldn't have to drop out at all. I can't advise you more specifically, because I'm an Arts student and know very little about the Sciences, but I hope it'll have given you some food for thought. We don't always get what we want, especially when it's something as hard to achieve as a Medicine degree.

Good luck, whatever you do, and try to keep us updated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myth717)

Hi all, I really need your help as atm I am so confused and angry with life..(Here goes)

Basically I am 16 yrs old currently doing my A levels in sixthform. I picked As Chemistry English Biology and Sociology, hoping to have some sort of career in medicine.(yes I know its competitve). My GCSEs went really bad, I got really ill last minute, being predicted 4 A*s 5 As 3 Bs. In April I actually got 1 A 9Bs 2Cs, which was a huge dissapointment but acceptable as my sixth form understood my circumstances. Ok, so today I had chemistry in the afternoon, I walked in and got told "I had been kicked off the course" because I got a U in a small test... Several other people were also kicked off, some people started to even cry. However I still remained in her lesson, whilst other people left I still showed her I was determined and even wrote down the homework she set. I spoke to her after the lesson endend, after several attempts of me pleading and explaining myself she walked out on me.... Since then my heads just been going round in circles. Having being kicked out of chemistry I just lost my mind, my whole career and dreams just fell apart... I spoke to my parents who are understanding and behind me 100%. I also spoke to a friend of mine he suggested I should :Take this year out to resit my GCSEs 5 of them getting my A*s/As in them and also build up on my personal statement for uni, aswell as getting tuition for a whole year for chemistry. This would mean me dropping out of my current sixth form and studying for my GCSEs and once I have got my GCSE results in August, I should reapply to my same sixth form or another one and take up my subjects, Chemistry ( having being tutored for a year i should be better at it) Biology sociology and English... Any advice on what I should do and not do ? wether this is a good option ? or if there are any other options? (this is my first post so please bear with me) atm I cant think straight and need another opinion from someone. Any advice is most welcome and could change my life. Thank you for reading this.....

Hiya

I am currently in a similar situation....

Carry on with your studies! don't worry about your GCSE's, As/A level matter far more.

Sociology is not a very academic subject, if you can't do chemistry hold onto biology whatever happens you must stay in biology so you have at least one sicence and bio is so important. You can still apply to some universities about for a 5 year degree for medicine, with just biology and no other science. one example of this is newcastle medicine.

In year 13, if you do well at As your school will probably let you sit chemistry As as well as 3 other a levels. If you have biology A2 and chemistry As you have many unis you can apply to for medicine and you won't be disadvantaged.

Don't stop your study for a gap year or that will raise more concern, just work hard at what your doing and your other subjects. DO NOT GIVE UP.

last week I nearly gave up cos i too couldnt do chemistry but i realise there are still options out there for people like us who didnt have that option! Messege me if you want a chat or to ask anymore, cos i honestly know how you feel. I set my heart on medicine for years and to be told I cant do the most important a level [chemistry] was just awful

If you really cant do chem, choose an academic subject in its place. I'd advise something like maths/a language/history/geog/Re/physics. Make sure it's academic. So nothing like art or buisness studies. (list goes on).

Good luck with this, there's more i could say but you really need to find stuff out on your own and do what you feels best for you.

best wishes! xxx

ReputationRep:
    ah hi ascient, hmm thats what i was thinking but medicine has been my goal from day one, I cant I just cant do something else.. I know your thinking its kinda strange but ever since I was a kid I wanted to become a doctor, my whole familys behind me supporting me, financially and everything. I think its just unfair 1 small test and Im off the course I mean come on..and for nearly all unis chemistry for medicine is a MUST! I havent even taken maths so.... but thnx anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that. I think that your GCSE's aren't that bad and even though you want to apply for medicine as already mentioned this can be explained in the reference etc. Can you not ask your parents to speak to your head of 6form to let you back on the course? Perhaps then with extra support a tutor or something you can improve upon your current knowledge.

Also as mentioned by Ascient you may want to think of other possible careers. You may want to spend time researching this theres a lot out there that may appeal to you. Theres also other routes into medicine that you could find out about. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    First step: go to head of sixth form, parents in tow! Trust me, they sit up and listen when your parents are reasonable, but make it clear that you wish to be place back on the course.

If you were ill, it sounds like your sixthform understands. The tutor to me sounds unreasonable and I wouldn't try to reason with her - speak to someone in a higher authority like I said.

Your GCSEs were good! Yes, I understand you were predicted higher but you were ILL, which will be mentioned on your reference and therefore taken into account when you apply to University!

So to sum up:
    Speak to someone above the Chemistry tutor.
    Have parents with you!
    Volunteer to go to workshops/extra sessions.
    Work your arse off...

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    get one of your parents to call college and talk to your chemistry teacher to plead your case.

You'd be very suprised of the power of a parent vs a teacher

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jinxy,
    Thnx for your quick reply and concern, I just dont know what to do, I am so confused atm my parents have spoken to my chem teacher today she said "no way can I allow him to come back on the course" I explained to my head sixth form she said you can reapply to us next year and we will let you in, but whats making me uncomfortable now is unis concern for taking a gap year before A-levels.. I need some time to resit some of my GCSe because the competition for medicine ill be against people from, places like Eton and Bancroft who would have 10 A*s for GCSEs. I dont know why but I know I can do it, its weird... im in a 50/50 situation its a gamble to be honest. taking a year out for chemistry will I get the A I always wanted in all my subjects? or carry on atm just bearly and without chemistry and see what happens ? isnt it better for me to take a year out rather then doing my first chemistry exam in Jan getting a bad grade in it and then resitting ? I thought unis for medicine especially dont like or consider resits for A levels ? ...

ps thanks for ur replys again pple

pps there is no way she will change her mind, parents already have contacted her...

ReputationRep:
    you know I didn't know teacher could actually kick you off the course without good reason... and this really dosn't seem good reason... have you (or your parents) talked to anyone higher up than her

ReputationRep:
    She is the head of science. I did an exam and got real bad in it I mean real real bad....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myth717)

-Incredible GCSE's are only needed in myths for medicine. As long as you're not expecting to go to Oxbridge then you'll be fine applying for most other unis (one of my good mates applied for medicine the same time as I did, and her GCSE's were pretty similar to yours and she still got 2 interviews) so please don't take a year out of your life to waste re-doing GCSEs that don't count for very much and adding even more time to an education that if you go into medicine is going to be long enough already (unless of course your heart is set on the very competitive unis).

-You may have been kicked off the chemistry course, but if you are determined to learn, you can still sit the exams (if your school won't let you sit them at the school, then you need to find somewhere else close to you that will, trust me, there are places). Go to the lessons do the work, revise like hell, then come out of it with As. Proving someone wrong is a great motivation, it sure helped me pull my C grade in chemistry up to an A this year (on a side note, I got plenty of Us in my class tests - as did most of the class, but in the long run, as long as you study for the 'real deal', then you're fine).

-Don't get yourself worked up. Easy for me to say, I know, but stressing won't solve anything or make anyone any happier, so quit it, and think this through logically.

ReputationRep:
    well if chemistry is important to fulfil your dreams I'd say reapply. to anothe rcollege or the same... but if this is they way your college works I'd say go someowhere else

ReputationRep:
    kicked off? thats absolute nonsense.

Is that Unit due to be taken in January?

I mean this seems ridiculous that they are kicking you off the course on the basis you failed a practice test in one module. Either you've really slacked off (missed lessons, wrong attitude) or your school is too strict. For example last year, just about every one bar one or 2 people got Ds, Es and Us in practice papers but they werent kicked off the course. Instead we have a system where those who are underachieving have to work during their free lessons or after school.
    I mean i remember in AS, we all did biology module 1 in Jan and the highest mark in the class was a B (which 2 people got) with most getting D's and E's (this was down to really poor teaching, no practice of exam technique and the other 2 students had tutors). Yet every one who re-sat (with a new teacher and more practice) got above a C

It seems that your teacher thinks this U is a sign of things to come when some dont realise Chemistry is one of the hardest A'levels you can do

I wouldnt re-sit your GCSE's. For most Med Schools (except Oxbridge, Imperial etc) you need B for Maths and B for Eng Lang. Also some Uni's will not like the fact you re-sat and will want evidence of your extenuating circumstances during GCSEs.
    I would get your parent in...ask for a proper explanation of why you were kicked out at this stage. Was there any opportunity to learn from the mistakes on the paper and do another test?

ReputationRep:
    Your parents really need to speak to someone higher up.

ReputationRep:
    free they already have, theres nothing they can do... its so F****d up

ReputationRep:
    thnx for ur help people

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.