The Student Room Group

Lenovo VS HP VS Huawei

What laptop would be better for a first-year uni student??

A Lenovo laptop?
HP Pavilion?
Huawei Matebook?
Reply 1
Original post by purple_diva
What laptop would be better for a first-year uni student??

A Lenovo laptop?
HP Pavilion?
Huawei Matebook?

Hi there,

It really depends on what your course is! If you'd be using the laptop for convenience of typing up notes, my HP pavilion in my first year was amazing for that. I have had Lenovos in the past, I personally found that mine slowed down quite quickly and I ended up formatting it a few times. At the moment, I am using a second hand ASUS for my notes in a BSC and I find this works perfectly, especially as its a smaller laptop so more portable.
Original post by BAMJ00
Hi there,

It really depends on what your course is! If you'd be using the laptop for convenience of typing up notes, my HP pavilion in my first year was amazing for that. I have had Lenovos in the past, I personally found that mine slowed down quite quickly and I ended up formatting it a few times. At the moment, I am using a second hand ASUS for my notes in a BSC and I find this works perfectly, especially as its a smaller laptop so more portable.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I pretty much no nothing about tech but would dodge HP like the plague. Wouldn't get a HP laptop if you can avoid it imo.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I pretty much no nothing about tech but would dodge HP like the plague. Wouldn't get a HP laptop if you can avoid it imo.

Why is that??

I'd avoid huawei more than HP tbh.
I think lenovo or hp are the better choices there.
Original post by hungrysalamander

Hi,
I have looked at two Lenovo laptops that I have chosen that I do like and would probably purchase too. Please recommend which one you think is better :smile:

https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Lenovo-IdeaPad-5-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-MX450-14-Inch-Laptop-82L700LUUK/p/391044

https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Lenovo-Slim-7-Pro-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-14-Inch-Laptop-82MS00DWUK/p/391046
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by purple_diva
Why is that??

Just not good laptops imo (seem to be unreliable based on reading comments on TSR, me using them in school etc) there are better options in my view.

Lenovo and Dell are good I think. Yeah idk much about Huawei laptops (only phones cause I use one) though so can't really comment on them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just not good laptops imo.

Lenovo and Dell are good I think. Yeah idk much about Huawei laptops (only phones cause I use one) though so can't really comment on them.

I don't trust huawei as a company lol
I don't trust huawei as a company lol

Fair. I only have their phone but not the rest.
Also tagging @mnot who might be able to give some advice.

Probably the second one. The mx450 isn't a good graphics card and doesn't justify the extra cost and power usage.
Also tagging @mnot who might be able to give some advice.

Its all about what you want a bang for buck… all 3 brands are reputable (although ive never personally used huawei).

of the 2 links posted both laptops seem very strong spec wise for beyond what most university projects would require.

on things like hard drive space, I personally think a SSD is better for speed but if you have a cloud storage system (iCloud drive, google drive, OneDrive then you can be fine with 256gb) additionally if you really want storage go for an SSD coupled to a good HDD.

I personally think 8gb RAM is plenty for most users.

graphics is dependent on use.

CPU wise approximately 3.5GHz across quad core and above is probably good. These are 6 cores, no experience with this AMD CPUs, but they are popular.

Quick Reply

Latest