Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the number of people that are awarded pupillages vs the number of people that complete the BVC then it will discourage anybody greatly.

It is indeed a great risk that you will not get a pupillage.

If you are to take the LPC I think things are tipped in your favour a little more.

But don't necessarily let this put you off. The fact you got a mini-pupillage will work in your favour. It does seem that you are aware of the risks, so its entirely up to you.

ReputationRep:
    I personally didn't think the people that articulate or intelligent on that program with the exception of the lady who got a pupilage and the member of the Queen's Council.

I didn't think there was that much demand to become a barrister - not that it deters me, just makes me work harder.

Great program though, on next week too isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ѕнαℓiηα)
    I did mini mooting competitions which kind of made me want to pursue a career at the Bar.
    (Sorry if the above didn't make sense, I tend to ramble a lot)
    haha :P better sort that out lol j/k

but yeah, if you have the money, and think you can handle the workload, go for it

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen it yet, just about to watch it on iPlayer!

ReputationRep:
    Yay good for you man. I wish I had your attitude.

Yup its on next week. :yep:

I dunno I just feel like my ethinicity and financial status will restrict me.
    I think 150 or so scholarships are handed out yearly to the Bar. And as for what you look like/where you were born, why do you think that makes any difference - as long as you speek English, no one (with a brain) cares. :yep: didn't you see the man from another place but England become a barrister?

ReputationRep:
    If only it was like that though. The thing about the Bar is that it is very traditional. Yes obviously there are ethnic minorities in the Bar, but very few. :no:
    Well the ethnic representation may not be representitive to the minority in this country. But people are interested on merit. The Bar is an independant council, there is no old boys club, as the construction barrister said in the program. I am not trying to convince you I am right, i might be wrong to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    I'd also say that if you manage to get sponsorship from the firm offering you a training contract you will also be one of the lucky few. Most Law students are looking at a £9,100 bill for the LPC.

Very few people even secure a training contract before they start the LPC. This is quite scary considering the immediate outlay of money.

It's all very discouraging, but I am naturally a very negative person, I suppose it prevents me from ever being disappointed

I always keep thinking I should have chosen something less competitive.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't quite saying that the Bar is preventing asian women...there are just things about the Bar that kind of restrict them from doing it and making it a lot harder. The majority of the entrants to the Bar will be wealthy (and usually white) middle class students and a lot of ethnic minorities just don't have the money/status to do it. (Doesn't mean its impossible, just more difficult).
    I understand how many won't have the money. Because of social and economic reasons. But I could not disagree more about the status statement. Any academically sound person, such as those at the Bar, prospective employers, etc, do not care where a person's mother was born (etc) but what their brains like.

peace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni

The other thing to consider is with regard to becoming a barrister; since you are self employed, during the early years you will struggle greatly as the more experienced barristers get more work, simply because of that experience.

But even becoming a solicitor has risks, even if you do complete a training contract there is no guarantee that you will be taken on.

But a lot of what I say are 'what ifs'. If you think too negatively about things you will never have any success.

What makes you think the other two candidates are stronger than yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoyed the program, though it did sort of bring it home to me how hard it's going to be to become a barrister. Hasn't put me off though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there is some sort of discrimination going on in the Bar.

If you Google 'discrimination in the Bar', you will find a lot of it.

Here's one:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...on-563826.html

Sorry, but that is reality. But keep on working and believing... you never know.

ReputationRep:
    "The fact that 20 per cent of new entrants to the Bar are from ethnic minority backgrounds is clear proof that the Bar as a profession is the most attractive to them that there is in the country. We also stand by our record on having the first and most comprehensive equality code there is."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    I'm sure there is some sort of discrimination going on in the Bar.

If you Google 'discrimination in the Bar', you will find a lot of it.

Here's one:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...on-563826.html

Sorry, but that is reality. But keep on working and believing... you never know.
    The date for that article was 2004, a lot happens in the legal world in four years.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that I could hear something about barristers on the TV in my lounge. Is it worth a watch on iPlayer? Oh, and what's it actually about - just a documentary about barristers or is there a particular slant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    I thought that I could hear something about barristers on the TV in my lounge. Is it worth a watch on iPlayer? Oh, and what's it actually about - just a documentary about barristers or is there a particular slant?
    I would say it's worth watching.

This first episode follows a few BVC students, watches them get their exam results, watches some as they are called to the bar, follows interview successes (or not). It also follows a wierd ass kissing barrister follow the QC he is acting with around like a lost puppy! Quite strange; I hope one does not have to act like that at the bar to get anywhere!

All in all, interesting and quite inspirational, in that I was thinking "wow, that could be me in a few years time"!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see it, but I'll probably review it on iPlayer at some point.

Rather bizarre really if it is so difficult to get a pupillage in England. I was speaking to a gentleman from the Faculty of Advocates (in effect, the Scottish bar) who told me apparently there are more Devil-masters than there are Devils (an amusing Scottish term for an Advocate's pupil) willing to take up a pupillage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I didn't see it, but I'll probably review it on iPlayer at some point.

Rather bizarre really if it is so difficult to get a pupillage in England. I was speaking to a gentleman from the Faculty of Advocates (in effect, the Scottish bar) who told me apparently there are more Devil-masters than there are Devils (an amusing Scottish term for an Advocate's pupil) willing to take up a pupillage.
    Definitely not. The figures are something like 1/5. I don't know the exact figures but I think for 07 it was roughly 2,500 applicants for 500 places.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I was on the programme and I am glad you all seemed to find it interesting.

The documentary will feature a female Asian barrister as well. I don't in any case think its necessary to cover every category of person at the bar, rather, its important to get the story across clearly.

Enjoy the rest of the show!

N

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightseternal)
    Hi everyone

I was on the programme and I am glad you all seemed to find it interesting.

The documentary will feature a female Asian barrister as well. I don't in any case think its necessary to cover every category of person at the bar, rather, its important to get the story across clearly.

Enjoy the rest of the show!

N
    Wow, nice one!

If you don't mind me asking, which person are you?

(Sorry, I could probably work it out from "N", but can't remember all of the names!)

Good luck, if you're applying for pupillage!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.