Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ѕнαℓiηα)
    If only it was like that though. The thing about the Bar is that it is very traditional. Yes obviously there are ethnic minorities in the Bar, but very few. :no:
    Shalina,

I agree that the overall make-up of the Bar is not representative of the gender and ethnic make-up of the country. See the Bar's stats below:

http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/assets/...Table%201).doc

However, the breakdown of current pupils shows that (a) there are more women than men entering the Bar and (b) ethnic minorities are well represented:

http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/assets/...table%204).doc

So, whilst there have been problems in the past, the Bar has worked very hard to improve the situation.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be rude here, but when you're submitting applications, you often have to declare whether or not you have resat exams. You will still be at a disadvantage even if you do secure AAAA after resits, as there will always be candidates who have secured the top grades without having to resit.

On the point of elitism/racism; yes, there still is a lot of it in the Bar, but also in pretty much every area you can care to think of. But boundaries are there to be broken!

ReputationRep:
    pcok I am one of the BVC students

Everyone here should be in no doubt that you need top class academics (A Levels and degree) as well as something exceptional in you or your experience to secure pupillage. The bar may still have an old boy's network but it is also genuinely very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    Definitely not. The figures are something like 1/5. I don't know the exact figures but I think for 07 it was roughly 2,500 applicants for 500 places.
    Are you sure about that? That'd make the number of pupillage places about the same as in England and Wales, which doesn't really make sense considering that Scotland is a much smaller jurisdiction.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah very true. Like that guy on the programme, he got a "competent" for his BVC results...looks like its gonna be a lot tougher for him to get a pupillage. And I also met a Cambridge graduate who was at Middle Temple, she was struggling to get a pupillage too 'cause she got a 2:2.
    Oxbridge graduates or not and in the absence of any exceptional circumstances, people who try to become barristers with a 2:2 are completely delusional.

ReputationRep:
    im actually watching it on iplayer as we speak...i enjoyed the girl who blamed her lack of experience on time and money when she hadn't even bothered to get a 1st in her undergrad degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Are you sure about that? That'd make the number of pupillage places about the same as in England and Wales, which doesn't really make sense considering that Scotland is a much smaller jurisdiction.
    Oh, the guy said "really bizarre if it's that difficult to get a pupillage in England", so I thought he was talking about that. That's what I meant anyway, that's the rough figures for England and Wales.

ReputationRep:
    I watched that programme on iplayer this morning, what a great insight into the world of the bar it gave me.

Junior moots terrified me so I would probably suck as a barrister, looking more at the LPC myself! Still, it was really good to see what happens behind the closeted world of advocacy , I have so much respect for oeople who choose this path. There are so many obstacles in the way that it takes immense dedication to get somewhere.

I'm not even through my first year yet so vac schemes are a whole year away yet lol but I have secured myself an Allen and Overy Insight Day in summer woo!

ReputationRep:
    It was definitely worth watching. I can't help but feel sorry for that girl who failed one of her exams.

ReputationRep:
    In my limited experience there are many people at bar school from ethnic minorities and many women, and many women from ethnic minorities.

However (in general) many people from ethnic minorities do not do particularly well at bar school. I do not know why that should be but it is nothing to do with (overt) racism at bar school. See for example this link:
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...sectioncode=26

Experience on the LPC is the same: please look at this report and the remarkable reasons put forward for disparity in results between white candidates and members of ethnic minorities:
    http://www.ukcle.ac.uk/directions/pr...sue10/lpc.html

At pupillage stage chambers are very much influenced by results at bar school, and results at university (among other factors). For example if you have a "competent" only at BVC you will not get into the best chambers.

I feel that chambers as employers are doing no more than reflecting earlier advantages / disadvantages. There may be a case for chambers doing more to compensate for those earlier advantages / disadvantages but what exactly? Chambers just want good people and they have very little time in which to find them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree.

Just out of interest are you considering the Bar?
    Nope, I'm all TC-ed up.

ReputationRep:
    wow you're so lucky! I did a mini-work experience at A&O, it was brilliant.
    I did some work experience there this Summer. I really didn't enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which universities they all attended? I know Catherine (Cat) went Oxford but what about the rest?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats!

Is it at a MC firm?
    Nope, SC firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    Nope, SC firm.
    Sorry to sound like a n00b but what exactly is a SC firm? I've heard of it, but not quite sure what it means.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to sound like a n00b but what exactly is a SC firm? I've heard of it, but not quite sure what it means.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Circle_(law)

ReputationRep:
    Shalina

You will not be disadvantaged at the Bar at all as a minority candidate. The UK population is less than 8% ethnic minority, however the bar intake of BME s now nearly 20%. Thus it will go entirely on your academics/luck in getting an interview then your performance thereafter.

On the programme last night the 2 with Scholarships were both ethnic minorities.

Therefore you should not let that put you off.

If you are genuinely bright enough, genuinely want it and genuinely will put in the effort and work to succeed then go for it. My only advice would be test the pupillage water before paying the money for the BVC, unless money is not an issue.

ReputationRep:
    What NW8_SW1_EC3 said. And within the most restrictive interpretation, the most alphabetically superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    What NW8_SW1_EC3 said. And within the most restrictive interpretation, the most alphabetically superior.

(Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Circle_(law)
    Thanks. :top:

ReputationRep:
    I think overall it's more difficult for ethnic minorities to enter the profession but it's not impossible. Therefore, I'm sure if you try your hardest you will make it. I wish you all the best Shalina! .

Tia xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.