Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Ahhhh, so basically, I sent my UCAS form three days ago. Since i've been totally addicted to track, and it feels like life is standing still until I get an offer!
    I'm not very patient.
    I was lurking on these boards, reading posts by everyone else, and finally felt the need to just ask my own question.
    I'm worried.
    I lovelovelove Exeter uni and would like to study English lit there, at the Exeter campus. I realize however that it is really competetive, and my predicted grades are AABB (im doing four a2 levels).
    I have been put forward to do the AEA for English also and I think my personal statement is pretty strong. This, however, still doesn't hide the fact that when it comes down to the final decision my grades aren't going to stand out against the straight A's. It's stressing me out an awful lot and i'm starting to think maybe I should have applied to the Cornwall campus instead...
    Anybody know whether I still stand a chance of being given an offer?
    Thanks!
    xx
    ps - Sorry this is so long! Eek.

ReputationRep:
    Eh, don't worry. AABB is very good. I'm sure you'll get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your stress, I remember what it was like last year. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Eh, don't worry. AABB is very good. I'm sure you'll get an offer.
    Don't say that - Exeter had no clearing places this year at main campus & more people met offers than expected - its :. reasonable to excpect them to up the offers a bit this year.. plus english gets alot of applicants.

OP - of course you have a fair chance of an offer. The AEA is something alot of people aren't going to have however they all probably will have strong PS's too.. good luck i really hope you get one . And I know some people who don't get offers from Streatham will be offered a place in Cornwall instead (without having applied there), so even if you don't get an offer theres still a chance of that, plus english was, i think, in Cornwalls clearing list this year. Don't give up hope of the offer though! Its early days and if they like you you;ve a good chance of an offer. Even if it is an AAA one and you have to work that bit harder to get it! Plus getting an offer to the cornwall campus isn't the end of the world, its lovelyy here, nice campus, facilities, scenery, etcetc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahl89)
    And I know some people who don't get offers from Streatham will be offered a place in Cornwall instead (without having applied there), so even if you don't get an offer theres still a chance of that, plus english was, i think, in Cornwalls clearing list this year.
    Does that often happen, people getting offers from Cornwall when they applied to the main campus? My boyfriend is in a similar position to the OP, so I just wondered whether this might be a possibility for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solecism)
    Does that often happen, people getting offers from Cornwall when they applied to the main campus? My boyfriend is in a similar position to the OP, so I just wondered whether this might be a possibility for him.
    im not really sure, sorry.. ive just heard that some people have had that happen but don't know whether its very common - best bet would prob be to ring the uni i suppose!

ReputationRep:
    im not really sure, sorry.. ive just heard that some people have had that happen but don't know whether its very common - best bet would prob be to ring the uni i suppose!
    Oh, no worries, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Those are very good grades, I am in Exeter doing English and I know people who had AAB at A level. Don't be scared if Exeter offer AAA though as that is their typical offer for English, people still get in and Exeter actually sent people a letter last year saying they would still consider us. If you get an offer I would definitely recommend going on a post offer open day even if you have already been because it shows you have a lot of interest in the uni. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my application last monday, applying for English and Exeter is my first choice. I got an offer from them on thursday, for AAA.

I have predicted grades of 3As but my AS levels didn't go that brilliantly (I dropped French because I got an E) but they still gave me an offer. You sound like you've got a really good chance, especially as you're doing 4 A Levels and your predicted grades are great. Just fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll be fine - I'm doing English at Ex and I know a few people who were predicted AAB etc. There are even people (including myself!) who were predicted AAA, but dropped a grade in a different subject and still were given a place. English is very competitive though, so if you don't get an offer, don't take it to heart too much - when I applied Bristol, Durham, Oxford and Edinburgh ALL rejected me. It's just a very very popular subject. If you have a good personal statement and the AEA on top of your grades, you definitely do have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    I got AABB as my final grade and i'm here. My offer was AAB but I do know a lot of people who needed 3 A's. (so if i enjoyed the course i'd feel lucky) I didn't do AEA and I was also applying at other universities for philosophy so my personal statement was aimed at more than just english and i still managed to get here so, don't despair!
    I don't think anyone can really say what your chances are. Everyone has things going for them and things against them and it just depends what other candidates are like.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've been given offers for two courses and I only have ABB at A level. Granted I am resitting and I'm predicted AAA and my reference explained that I was only a couple of marks off in both. I got my offers 6 days after my application being sent off.

On results day I only had BBB (my history grade went up ater remark) and Exeter rang me up asking if I wanted to go to Cornwall instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
    I've been given offers for two courses and I only have ABB at A level. Granted I am resitting and I'm predicted AAA and my reference explained that I was only a couple of marks off in both. I got my offers 6 days after my application being sent off.

On results day I only had BBB (my history grade went up ater remark) and Exeter rang me up asking if I wanted to go to Cornwall instead.
    Are you gonna go to Cornwall then?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you get an AAB conditional offer then it should be fine, but if you get an AAA offer, they will not back down if you don't get the grades. I initially got AABB for my A-Level grades and they would not take me unless my grades moved up to AAAB after remarks.... so August was a very stressful time for me! Especially since I didn't get my remarks back until after the Ucas deadline, so I had to apply again this year. Luckily now I have an unconditional offer for 2009 But like I said, Exeter are a lot stricter with grades than you would think!

ReputationRep:
    Are you gonna go to Cornwall then?
    Ohh no. I turned Cornwall down and reapplied for Exeter campus. I now have two AAA offers for the Exeter campus and I'm resitting two exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
    Ohh no. I turned Cornwall down and reapplied for Exeter campus. I now have two AAA offers for the Exeter campus and I'm resitting two exams.
    Ahh. You should've gone there .

ReputationRep:
    I Got An Offer Today For AAB! So Happy!

-original poster (Im on a different account)

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.