The Student Room Group

Medicine personal statement - talking about A levels

A lot of example medicine personal statements I read online did not include much information on their A levels. I am doing biology, chemistry and psychology, and a teacher at my school suggested that I should add a sentence about each of these A levels, linking it back to medicine in my personal statement.

However, I have so much to write about in my personal statement. For example, using the words for reflecting on my A-levels I could instead go into more detail about researching medical articles, playing a sport, and going into more detail about a long term commitment I had in a leadership activity.

I really have no space left to squeeze in researching medical articles, playing a sport, and talking about the leadership commitment unless I get rid of the part talking about my A levels, which I don't think is that important but my teacher is very keen to include it.

But I really have no idea which option would be better, the rest of my personal statement talks about my motivation to pursue medicine, volunteering and work placements I have done and each sentence is important so I can't cut down on those previous sections

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by canajones18
A lot of example medicine personal statements I read online did not include much information on their A levels. I am doing biology, chemistry and psychology, and a teacher at my school suggested that I should add a sentence about each of these A levels, linking it back to medicine in my personal statement.

However, I have so much to write about in my personal statement. For example, using the words for reflecting on my A-levels I could instead go into more detail about researching medical articles, playing a sport, and going into more detail about a long term commitment I had in a leadership activity.

I really have no space left to squeeze in researching medical articles, playing a sport, and talking about the leadership commitment unless I get rid of the part talking about my A levels, which I don't think is that important but my teacher is very keen to include it.

But I really have no idea which option would be better, the rest of my personal statement talks about my motivation to pursue medicine, volunteering and work placements I have done and each sentence is important so I can't cut down on those previous sections

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I am applying to dentistry in 2023 and have been told by many not to include about a levels. If you think about it, everyone who is applying for medicine does biology and chemistry and quite a lot do psychology. So, your sentences about them could be similar. However, not everyone has had the same experiences in sports or read the same articles so this would make your statement unique. Your teachers will also write references about each subject you study, so if there is stuff you wanted to include about a levels you could ask them to include it there for you. Hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest