Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

girls, what do you think of guys who wear shoe lifts? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    lol arctic suicide, you sound like a prick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    What a ridiculous poll. Of course a girl is going to generally prefer a guy to be, say, 6'2 as opposed to 5'9. But this is if all other factors are equal, and they most certainly aren't in the real world.

Going back to my earlier example of Johnny Depp, it's pretty obvious that a majority of girls would go for him as opposed to a guy who is tall and well built but only of average looks.
    yeah its ridiculous but still true, the stats and general opinion show that girls want tall guys.

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring the troll...
    I think it's unfair to use the poll as a general consensus of what girls think. It's very skewed and only gives girls two options: Yes and No.
    The question asked? Ever wished a guy was shorter.

Why on earth would you wish a guy was shorter unless he gave you neck-cramps from looking up. What if you already date 'short' guys and it means going for five feet tall men if you did go shorter? Furthermore, the only answers you can give is 'yes' or 'no', no third option of 'don't care', which already eliminates another core group or forces those who don't really care to pick 'no' since it doesn't matter to them.

Look at this other poll: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll...s&pollid=15118
    Minimum height for you to fancy them - majority have 'I could fancy a person at any height' (25). While the second majority is 5'11" (15), the third is 5'8" (14) and for 5'? 12! So only three more girls prefer 5'11" than 5'. Oh, and for 5'7"? Only 7 girls.

So, the moral of the story? **** this height debate. It's not how small you are, it's how well you use it.

ReputationRep:
    cant be bothred to start a new thread for this, but does anybody know, on average, what age people stop growing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcticsuicide)
    Lemily, i have difficulty understanding your presence. Who scared you? Why were you born? Dont bottle your worries up, let them loose on the river of joy, unkindled spirited unenerve, tapsetry farce and the indignant pride of the severed birth. You fail.
    Excuse me, but how rude are you?! By saying I find tall people scary, I mean I can find them quite intimidating being of someone of smaller stature, but I am not so much of an arse that their height would excuse me from wanting to know them/date them

I don't know how you can be so rude. I felt I made a valid point, and hence my presence in this thread. Choose to ignore me if you will but I have every right to be here and to express my opinion to your question even if you do not like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veecee)
    firstly this is not about Depp or good looks, this is about being taller. Secondly, why are you dissing me? I never did anything bad to you, I just want a civilised conversation then you come and vomit this sort of poison in my face about virginity and social ineptitude. Its totally uncalled for.
    Do you even know what you wrote? Go and have a look at your earlier post. You disagreed with me and said 'sadly, that's the case' or something of the sort. So yes, evidently it was about looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcticsuicide)
    girls wear heels to be taller

its a FACT
    No, girls wear heels because they look good and slim the calves. Nothing to do with height. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veecee)
    yeah its ridiculous but still true, the stats and general opinion show that girls want tall guys.
    Anyway yep, here is the evidence that you did indeed state I was wrong.

So tough luck.

And why did I get warned for 'threatening'? All I said was that you're a virgin (note Mod, I am not saying he is a virgin in this post, merely stating the fact that I got warned for such an accusation).

Strange.

Oh well, mods of H&R for ya... ()

ReputationRep:
    aww, dont worry you will grow eventually

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'9" and I wear heels all the time not because I want to be taller though. My Boyfriends 5'11 ish, and most of my heels are more than 2" so I look taller but no one cares. Also my ex was shorter than me my about an inch so...

Hi, I know this is a post from miles in the future, but I am a real life lift wearer! I am 19 and began wearing them when I was 18. I am around 5' 9'' barefoot, so nothing to be worried about. My gf is 5'8'' so it was partially for her that I began wearing them. They give me about 2 inches extra in height, and as long as i keep the inserts hidden, the difference between with and without them is hard to notice.

I've read through these and seen that people are saying that the OP is ridiculously insecure, or stuff along those lines. Well, I too used to be pretty insecure, despite never having a shortage of girls, despite being very good-looking (modesty has been left at the door in order to give weight to my argument), despite being average or only partially under average.

My insecurity stopped and pretty much resolved after a month or two with lifts. And despite no longer caring about my height (as much) I still wear them. Do you know why? Because shorter men are discriminated against. This doesn't mean women will not go for a shorter man - they will. It's not as black and white as that. But it is a proven, observable fact that on average taller men are more attractive and more successful.

I applied to work at Hollister (where to be employed you need to be good looking) shortly before I got lifts, received no call back. With lifts, I got the job.

On top of that, the amount of bull**** I have heard about being short - not necessarily directed at me, but still - winds me up. the 'napoleon complex'. 'short guy syndrome'. Isn't it funny how you very rarely hear short people take the piss out of someone tallers height? But yet shorter men have to put up with complete myths and be insulted everytime they are dominant, defensive or forward.

And the worse thing is that these short myths are supported by Hollywood, a place teeming with shorter men. The most attractive men of our generation and generations past have been short:
    Depp - 5 9
    Brando - 5 9
    James Dean - 5 7
    taylor lautner - 5 8
    James Franco - 5 9
    Jude Law - 5 9

Yet everybody in Hollywood lies about their height, because to get the role as the male interest or leading man, you must be tall, or at least appear to be. So they all wear lifts, and continue to perpetrate the myth that to be a successful attractive man you must meet a certain height, which in turn subconsciously influences the common man and woman. They may say it doesn't, but we all know that it does. Some more than others, but it still does.

so to conclude, for those still reading, yes the OP may be short, but because society ****s up the short guy, he should wear lifts.

/rant over, thanks for listening

ReputationRep:
    tbh, if it makes you feel better about yourself, it's nobody's business. Confidence increases people's appeal exponentially, so whatever floats your boat!

I am 6"6' (still growing at 16) and in one more inch i will be legally classed as a giant which is a disability.

Contrary to popular belief, as it seems to be on this thread, big guys are not "more attractive" in fact its a hindrance being tall hence the whole disability thing.

Take this advice from a soon to be giant, you at 5"7' are a great size, be happy with your height

ReputationRep:
    If she's right then she will like you the way you are but if your not wanting that kind of relationship no one notices a few cm added! If it makes you feel more confident then screw what everyone else is thinking!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i would kill to be taller as well, as would some of my short(er) friends! but shoe lifts isnt the answer, one just needs to be comfortable in your own body.

ReputationRep:
    Strong double standards in this thread

Op, wear what you want.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.