The Student Room Group

SAAS or SFE?

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this but it’s proving to be impossible.

I am a EU graduate with settled status. I have been living in Scotland for 6 years and completed a 4-years undergrad in Scotland. I never asked for a loan though. Only had my tuition fees paid by SAAS.

I received a few offers to study MSc Physiotherapy (pre-registration) in England in January 2023. I’m trying to understand how I can get a loan for the tuition fees and a maintenance loan.

I contacted SAAS and they said they would not give me a loan because the same degree is available in Scotland. SFE said that since I live in Scotland it’s up to SAAS. I would be moving to England for good and not only for university. Why can’t I get a loan from anyone? It’s not like it’s free money anyway.

For this type of degree, I read on the SFE website that I have to apply for an undergrad loan and not a postgrad loan; but the undergrad eligibility criteria section says: currently live in the UK (National or with settled status), and then below: currently live in England.

Thank you for you help, I just don’t know who to ask anymore. Without a loan I can’t afford the degree.

Cheers

TLDR: EU with settled status living in Scotland needs a loan for a physiotherapy master in England. SAAS or SFE?
Original post by vab00014
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this but it’s proving to be impossible.

I am a EU graduate with settled status. I have been living in Scotland for 6 years and completed a 4-years undergrad in Scotland. I never asked for a loan though. Only had my tuition fees paid by SAAS.

I received a few offers to study MSc Physiotherapy (pre-registration) in England in January 2023. I’m trying to understand how I can get a loan for the tuition fees and a maintenance loan.

I contacted SAAS and they said they would not give me a loan because the same degree is available in Scotland. SFE said that since I live in Scotland it’s up to SAAS. I would be moving to England for good and not only for university. Why can’t I get a loan from anyone? It’s not like it’s free money anyway.

For this type of degree, I read on the SFE website that I have to apply for an undergrad loan and not a postgrad loan; but the undergrad eligibility criteria section says: currently live in the UK (National or with settled status), and then below: currently live in England.

Thank you for you help, I just don’t know who to ask anymore. Without a loan I can’t afford the degree.

Cheers

TLDR: EU with settled status living in Scotland needs a loan for a physiotherapy master in England. SAAS or SFE?

Hi there, If you are moving to England permanently you would need to send the paper PN1 application form via post along with a cover letter and evidence to show that you are moving to England permanently and not just for study for the team to review. Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, If you are moving to England permanently you would need to send the paper PN1 application form via post along with a cover letter and evidence to show that you are moving to England permanently and not just for study for the team to review. Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen, thanks a lot for your reply. I just have a couple more questions.

1) Would I still have to provide the documents you mentioned if I submitted a loan application with the English address I’m moving to? Or are these docs for those who apply with a Scottish address? Hope it makes sense.

2) is the loan affected in any way by bursaries? (NHS one included)

Many thanks
Original post by vab00014
Hi Karen, thanks a lot for your reply. I just have a couple more questions.

1) Would I still have to provide the documents you mentioned if I submitted a loan application with the English address I’m moving to? Or are these docs for those who apply with a Scottish address? Hope it makes sense.

2) is the loan affected in any way by bursaries? (NHS one included)

Many thanks

Hi there,

It would need to be the paper application regardless of the address. This is so we can update your award authority as the system likely won't allow you to apply online.

No. The bursary is assessed by the university and doesn't affect your loan through us.

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending