The Student Room Group

How do you excel in English?

Hello everybody! Nice to meet you! I'm Immy and I'm a Year 11 student.
My grades so far have been excellent. Pretty much all of my grades are predicted grades are 9s and 8s. I aspire to go very far and I feel like I have all the talent to do so. I just have one major flaw, English Language and Literature.

I honestly don't know what to do in this subject. I'm above average in English (6s and 7s) but I just wanna know how I can excel in this subject and push myself into 8s and 9s territory. I feel like I lack creativity in this subject as I'm more of a logical thinker. I feel ridiculously stupid in an English classroom and I'm just about clinging to top set.

Do any have any tips on how to get better at English?

(Also, this is my first post so I'm sorry if posting this in the wrong place)
Original post by _immy
My grades so far have been excellent. Pretty much all of my grades are predicted grades are 9s and 8s. I aspire to go very far and I feel like I have all the talent to do so. I just have one major flaw, English Language and Literature.

I honestly don't know what to do in this subject. I'm above average in English (6s and 7s) but I just wanna know how I can excel in this subject and push myself into 8s and 9s territory. I feel like I lack creativity in this subject as I'm more of a logical thinker. I feel ridiculously stupid in an English classroom and I'm just about clinging to top set.

For English language, I’d recommend trying some practise questions and past papers. I’d also suggest trying to learn some advanced vocabulary which you can use for most/all topics as this might help to get you those higher marks, especially in section b on the paper.

Which texts are you studying for English literature?

For English lit I’d recommend trying to analyse quotes in depth and also find out context, try to look into perceptive ideas if you can and get quotes which could work for any/all themes. I’d also recommend past papers and practice questions to prepare for how to structure the questions.

Please feel free to message me if I can offer any more help or if you have any other questions, I’d be more than happy to help as I’m fairly decent at English (I average at about an 8).
Reply 2
For English Literature I'm studying A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and Macbeth.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
I feel like I need to expand my vocabulary a bit and learn to write a little faster.
Original post by _immy

Hiya there!

For english lit, as someone already mentioned, complete past papers on questions that you find you struggle on more. Then, hand them to your teacher to mark :smile:. Make a list of terminology that you can pick out from texts and write about - e.g. onomatopoeia, metaphors etc and really try to identify them in the text.

For english lang, look at notes for your texts online on websites like Cliffnotes and Sparknotes. Then, make mindmaps on different themes, characters etc, adding quotes onto the mindmap to back your comments up. Make flashcards on key quotes that you've thoroughly analysed and you can write about if that part of the text comes up in the exam!

Does that all make sense? Lmk if you have more questions!

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by _immy
For English Literature I'm studying A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and Macbeth.

Hey! I've got resources for Macbeth and AIC on my website that helped me get 9s last year in Language and Literature, so you could check those out!
https://thestudydays.wordpress.com
Original post by _immy

Hi, sorry for the late reply! Just did my GCSEs so hope this helps 💜, for context, I got 9s in Lang and Lit
Language was a nightmare for me to start with. Tbh, my teacher was my best resource, use your teachers! Get them to mark your papers and give you feedback, read examiners reports and just practise, practise, practise. For creative writing, our teacher got us to write out own pieces of writing, then she marked them to ensure that they included everything, and got us to memorise them for the exam, so we just adapted to the prompt. Would recommend. Also think about the order in which you do the questions on the paper, I found it easier not to just go 1,2,3... Non fiction writing is hard to revise for except for reading newspapers and practising.

But... I loveee Lit. The general essay structure I aimed for was three key points about a character or theme per essay, two quotes per point, three analysis bits per quote, and don't forget context/symbolism. Use Stacey Reay on YouTube, she was incredible during my exams, and I will never stop recommending her 😂. I would write essay plans then memorise them and adapt to the question (you could tell I'm awful at thinking on my feet haha). Not self advertising or anything, but I have a thread with more revision questions on it, which could help? But we're all here for you, let us know if you have any more questions xx
Reply 6
Original post by bluebirdbubble
Hi, sorry for the late reply! Just did my GCSEs so hope this helps 💜, for context, I got 9s in Lang and Lit
Language was a nightmare for me to start with. Tbh, my teacher was my best resource, use your teachers! Get them to mark your papers and give you feedback, read examiners reports and just practise, practise, practise. For creative writing, our teacher got us to write out own pieces of writing, then she marked them to ensure that they included everything, and got us to memorise them for the exam, so we just adapted to the prompt. Would recommend. Also think about the order in which you do the questions on the paper, I found it easier not to just go 1,2,3... Non fiction writing is hard to revise for except for reading newspapers and practising.

But... I loveee Lit. The general essay structure I aimed for was three key points about a character or theme per essay, two quotes per point, three analysis bits per quote, and don't forget context/symbolism. Use Stacey Reay on YouTube, she was incredible during my exams, and I will never stop recommending her 😂. I would write essay plans then memorise them and adapt to the question (you could tell I'm awful at thinking on my feet haha). Not self advertising or anything, but I have a thread with more revision questions on it, which could help? But we're all here for you, let us know if you have any more questions xx

Loving the responses! Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest