The Student Room Group

SAAS or SFE?

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this but it’s proving to be impossible.

I am a EU graduate with settled status. I have been living in Scotland for 6 years and completed a 4-years undergrad in Scotland. I never asked for a loan though. Only had my tuition fees paid by SAAS.

I received a few offers to study MSc Physiotherapy (pre-registration) in England in January 2023. I’m trying to understand how I can get a loan for the tuition fees and a maintenance loan.

I contacted SAAS and they said they would not give me a loan because the same degree is available in Scotland. SFE said that since I live in Scotland it’s up to SAAS. I would be moving to England for good and not only for university. Why can’t I get a loan from anyone? It’s not like it’s free money anyway.

For this type of degree, I read on the SFE website that I have to apply for an undergrad loan and not a postgrad loan; but the undergrad eligibility criteria section says: currently live in the UK (National or with settled status), and then below: currently live in England.

Thank you for you help, I just don’t know who to ask anymore. Without a loan I can’t afford the degree.

Cheers

TLDR: EU with settled status living in Scotland needs a loan for a physiotherapy master in England. SAAS or SFE?
Original post by vab00014
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this but it’s proving to be impossible.

I am a EU graduate with settled status. I have been living in Scotland for 6 years and completed a 4-years undergrad in Scotland. I never asked for a loan though. Only had my tuition fees paid by SAAS.

I received a few offers to study MSc Physiotherapy (pre-registration) in England in January 2023. I’m trying to understand how I can get a loan for the tuition fees and a maintenance loan.

I contacted SAAS and they said they would not give me a loan because the same degree is available in Scotland. SFE said that since I live in Scotland it’s up to SAAS. I would be moving to England for good and not only for university. Why can’t I get a loan from anyone? It’s not like it’s free money anyway.

For this type of degree, I read on the SFE website that I have to apply for an undergrad loan and not a postgrad loan; but the undergrad eligibility criteria section says: currently live in the UK (National or with settled status), and then below: currently live in England.

Thank you for you help, I just don’t know who to ask anymore. Without a loan I can’t afford the degree.

Cheers

TLDR: EU with settled status living in Scotland needs a loan for a physiotherapy master in England. SAAS or SFE?

I have responded to your query on your other post. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending