The Student Room Group

What extra curriculars do I need for ucas points?

I am a first-generation immigrant from India. Both my parents went to university but since they were international things were different. I am worried because I have no extra currriculars. I am year 12 so it's to late to do Lambda and learn an instrument etc. I am scared I won't have any curriculars. Any suggestions?
Original post by wanttoknow123
What extra curriculars do I need for ucas points?

Extra curriculars aren't about gaining UCAS points. They're about demonstrating non-academic skills which might be of interest to universities. That might be time management, working in a team, leadership, etc.

Do you do (or could you get) a part-time job that would demonstrate some of the above? Do you do any sport outside school? Are you a member of any clubs or societies?

Also consider what tend to be called super curriculars. Those are academic in nature, but are outside the scope of the A level syllabus. So that might be reading relevant books or articles, attending on-line courses, watching documentaries, listening to podcasts, etc. None of these will take years (unlike learning a new instrument!) and can demonstrate interest in, and enthusiasm for, the university course you want to study.
Thank you so much. It just feels that all my friends have all these extra curriculars and I don't but this was really helpful advice :smile:
Reply 3
Cambridge don't use UCAS points at all, they make offers based on grades alone. I had a grade 8 lamda distinction which had a few ucas points associated with it but I didn't even end up adding it to the qualifications list on UCAS as none of the unis I was interested it would consider it in their offer.

This means that if you're aiming for top universities, anything extra you've done outside of school only matters in terms of what you put in your personal statement, which needs to be carefully selected. For a Cambridge application, the ideal personal statement is at least 95% academically focused (and I ended up with one which was effectively 100% academic though I found ways to mention some extra-curricular activities in the context of the subject I was applying for). Oxbridge admissions tutors will pass over anything unrelated so it's important to be selective.

The idea of an extra-curricular is one that shows additional effort on your part but that also specifically demonstrates your interest in the subject. The ones I mentioned (for social sciences) were: getting involved in a local history research group, volunteering for a mutual aid network, and progressing in a national essay competition. You could also include things like attending book launches and conferences, running a relevant school society or writing blog posts etc. What's most important is how you talk about these things, because they don't have to be individually impressive. As you bring them up, you can talk about: what piqued your interest, whose research did it help you come across, what questions you had and how you ended up answering them - which could lead you on to another activity. By using these activities to link your thought processes together, you can end up with a cohesive personal statement that lightly incorporates an array of extra-curricular development.
It's not the only way to do it but a year is plenty of time to find and do things to discuss in this manner so it may be an approach you want to look into if you feel you haven't been as active as others in pursuing your subject so far.
Good luck with your application!
Thank you so much! I'm sorry for the late reply but this has been really insightful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending