Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why arent pedestrians held accountable for their safety? Watch

ReputationRep:
    They can walk out in to the road in dark clothes, mp3 stuffed in ears, chatting, focusing on anything but the road.

Yet the motorist is always pounced on usually and nobody seems to challenge this. Cyclists are even worse.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    They can walk out in to the road in dark clothes, mp3 stuffed in ears, chatting, focusing on anything but the road.

Yet the motorist is always pounced on usually and nobody seems to challenge this. Cyclists are even worse.....
    If a pedestrian walks without looking and hits something they usually only harm themselves. Also, if it can be proven that their actions caused a fatal accident, they could be prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter.

ReputationRep:

Because generally speaking neither pedestrians nor cyclists go at 60mph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    They shouldnt really be anywhere near roads of 40mph speed or more, Germany probably plans this seperation better. We have pedestrianised zones as it is and yet their presence even permeates main roads. All this ******** about road safety - why cant we just accept that roads and cars are inherently dangerous and everyone will act with more caution.

ReputationRep:
    They shouldnt really be anywhere near roads of 40mph speed or more, Germany probably plans this seperation better. We have pedestrianised zones as it is and yet their presence even permeates main roads. All this ******** about road safety - why cant we just accept that roads and cars are inherently dangerous and everyone will act with more caution.
    Hmmm, so I shouldn't go outside my house because it's next to a main road with a limit of 60? Or should be put more 30mph limits whenever there are towns/villages and then be all shocked when people go over that and kill some kids?

ReputationRep:
    they are in Germany
    like if a bike runs you over, youd get fined for it.
    haha.

(Original post by Bubblebee)
    Speed of the participants is totally irrelevant when determining blame. Obviously it places a duty to drive carefully on the motorist because the consequences of a mistake are potentially more dangerous, but if a motorist is driving properly and hits someone who was completely oblivious to their surroundings and stepped out in front of them without looking and with no warning, then the fact that the motorist is moving at 50x the speed of the pedestrian doesn't change the fact that the pedestrian caused the accident.

ReputationRep:
    I nearly hit someone in a black hoodie the other day.... amble-ing across the road, looking at the ground.... Am annoying it would have been my fault for hitting him (luckily I know how to do an emergency stop).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    I nearly hit someone in a black hoodie the other day.... amble-ing across the road, looking at the ground.... Am annoying it would have been my fault for hitting him (luckily I know how to do an emergency stop).
    you should have hit them. teach them a lesson!

ReputationRep:

I have found that this ^^ seems to be worse in Bristol than most other places. In Birmingham (where I'm at uni) if a pedestrian tried that, they'd get beeped at or hit

Bristolians seem not to notice the presence of roads sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    Hit me at 30 theres an 80% chance I'll live.

Hit me at 40 theres an 80% chance I'll die.

If I didnt walk into the road without looking in the first place then theres a 100% chance I'll live.

ReputationRep:
    If you get run over and it's your fault they don't punish the driver. I got run over a couple of months ago (entirely my fault, didn't look properly and ran straight in front of the car, I don't need lecturing now), they made me give a statement from the hospital, the lights hadn't changed, the bloke was going 15 mph, and I felt really guilty for ages afterwards. The only negative thing to be said about the driver was that according to the people who saw it, he sped up to avoid me, which was a bit stupid, but not half as stupid as what I did. There would have been no point punishing me though, I didn't hurt anybody else, I didn't even damage his car as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    You want society to take responsibility for their own actions? Like that's going to happen when we're triggerhappy with benefits and paying out for injuries! Blame someone else and get paid a packet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    You want society to take responsibility for their own actions? Like that's going to happen when we're triggerhappy with benefits and paying out for injuries! Blame someone else and get paid a packet.
    Anyone else sick of every thread in TSR being turned around to a rant about benefits? Congratulations I didn't think you'd manage to turn this one around. Why not try fitting it into the "Why do girls wear jeans and trousers" thread, tht should be a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamab)
    you should have hit them. teach them a lesson!
    yay! let's all kill people for no reason!

ReputationRep:
    what the hell have benefits got to do with anything?! go away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owl1867)
    Anyone else sick of every thread in TSR being turned around to a rant about benefits? Congratulations I didn't think you'd manage to turn this one around. Why not try fitting it into the "Why do girls wear jeans and trousers" thread, tht should be a challenge.
    Now who's turning this thread around? I mentioned one word included in a sentence and all of a sudden YOU are having a rant at me saying I derailed the thread. Nice one. Don't want threads de-railed? Don't de-rail them!

It's a thread about pedestrians not being held accountable for their own safety, that the car is to blame, roads are dangerous and speeding kills. We live in a NANNY state where it is always someone elses fault, where there's blame there's a claim! Walk infront of a car, a free week in hospital, £2500 whiplash payout AND you get to sue the car manufacturer because the bumper wasn't shaped around your knees, not to mention taking the driver for a ride "because he should watch where he's going!"

ReputationRep:
    Now who's turning this thread around? I mentioned one word included in a sentence and all of a sudden YOU are having a rant at me saying I derailed the thread. Nice one. Don't want threads de-railed? Don't de-rail them!

It's a thread about pedestrians not being held accountable for their own safety, that the car is to blame, roads are dangerous and speeding kills. We live in a NANNY state where it is always someone elses fault, where there's blame there's a claim! Walk infront of a car, a free week in hospital, £2500 whiplash payout AND you get to sue the car manufacturer because the bumper wasn't shaped around your knees, not to mention taking the driver for a ride "because he should watch where he's going!"
    Did you not read about 4 posts above you, where someone plainly stated that they got hit by a car but the driver was not held accountable because it was not his fault?

ReputationRep:
    Cyclists are even worse.....
    Absolute ********.

A cyclist barely ever does anything but keeps to the traffic, and generally get where they're going in the city faster than you. We're not taking 13 year olds on bmxs.

If you don't see the cyclist, you're not fit to be driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    If you don't see the cyclist, you're not fit to be driving.
    Really? When it's dark and they don't have lights?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.