The Student Room Group

Radiographer vs Economist/Banker

Hello

I am currently studying Business, Economics and Finance in a bid to get involved in the financial world, however my family, who are all doctors and nurses and health professionals, are trying to convince me to become a radiographer instead. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but can anyone give some advice to what I should commit myself to? I have great people skills and I know I could be a radiographer, on top of that, the NHS basically guarantees that I can find work easily right after I finish studying and that I will be stable. On the other hand, I feel like while the possibilities are much higher with finance and economics, there is definitely the smell of instability in the air with all the stuff going on in the current economy, as companies downsize, fire employees and shut down offices. What on earth do I do with my life?!?!
Original post by CarbineOG
Hello

I am currently studying Business, Economics and Finance in a bid to get involved in the financial world, however my family, who are all doctors and nurses and health professionals, are trying to convince me to become a radiographer instead. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but can anyone give some advice to what I should commit myself to? I have great people skills and I know I could be a radiographer, on top of that, the NHS basically guarantees that I can find work easily right after I finish studying and that I will be stable. On the other hand, I feel like while the possibilities are much higher with finance and economics, there is definitely the smell of instability in the air with all the stuff going on in the current economy, as companies downsize, fire employees and shut down offices. What on earth do I do with my life?!?!

Well first of all, you don't need a degree to go into finance. If you do have a degree, it can be in any subject. The degree you do has zero bearings on your eligibility to get into finance. You also make no specific mention on the specific role that you want to do.
You will likely require to do a professional qualification for the role, depending on which role that is.
It's always turbulent in the financial world, and jobs there are never really stable - employers are known to fire staff when required without a second thought or any consideration. There are more stable jobs outside the City though, and there are roles that are significantly more stable.

I don't know what possibilities in finace you are specifically referring to, but jobs in the finance sector are known to be ridiculously competitive, and more so with specific roles than others (usually the higher paying ones). For certain roles in finance, you might even have a better chance doing medicine at a top end university in the world than landing a specific role at one of big City firms.

If you're currently doing a degree (because I don't know any A Level called Finance), I would at least try to finish it off. At least then you would be able to do any specific professional qualifications relevant to the role that you want to do.
Should you decide to go into radiography, you are likely to be enrolling onto an MSc in Diagnostic Radiography/Medical Imaging (pre-registration), otherwise you're looking at doing another bachelor's in radiography. e.g.
https://www.gcu.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduate-diagnostic-radiography-pre-registration-glasgow#entry-requirements
https://www.qmu.ac.uk/study-here/postgraduate-study/2022/msc-diagnostic-radiography-pre-registration/
https://www.cumbria.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduate/medical-imaging-msc/

Aside from job security, I think you should ask yourself which of the 2 areas would make you happiest.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Well first of all, you don't need a degree to go into finance. If you do have a degree, it can be in any subject. The degree you do has zero bearings on your eligibility to get into finance. You also make no specific mention on the specific role that you want to do.
You will likely require to do a professional qualification for the role, depending on which role that is.
It's always turbulent in the financial world, and jobs there are never really stable - employers are known to fire staff when required without a second thought or any consideration. There are more stable jobs outside the City though, and there are roles that are significantly more stable.

I don't know what possibilities in finace you are specifically referring to, but jobs in the finance sector are known to be ridiculously competitive, and more so with specific roles than others (usually the higher paying ones). For certain roles in finance, you might even have a better chance doing medicine at a top end university in the world than landing a specific role at one of big City firms.

If you're currently doing a degree (because I don't know any A Level called Finance), I would at least try to finish it off. At least then you would be able to do any specific professional qualifications relevant to the role that you want to do.
Should you decide to go into radiography, you are likely to be enrolling onto an MSc in Diagnostic Radiography/Medical Imaging (pre-registration), otherwise you're looking at doing another bachelor's in radiography.

Aside from job security, I think you should ask yourself which of the 2 areas would make you happiest.

Thank you for the reply. The specific name of the course is "Certificate in Financial Studies", so basically Finance.
Thank you for the reply. The specific name of the course is "Certificate in Financial Studies", so basically Finance.

It's interesting that you chose to do the certificate. The certificate kind of covers personal finance from what I have read about it, and not all universities will accept the certificate as an A Level.
Just out of interest, do you have a specifc role in finance in mind?
Hello

The A levels you have chosen won't get you onto a radiography degree. Most unis ask for at least one science from biology, chemistry and physics (or sometimes maths). What year are you in?
Reply 5
Original post by normaw
The A levels you have chosen won't get you onto a radiography degree. Most unis ask for at least one science from biology, chemistry and physics (or sometimes maths). What year are you in?

I am in my first year of A-levels, so Y12, I am going to get my financial focused a-levels swapped out for physics and biology and health and social care

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending