Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    You seriously shouldn't pay somebody else for past papers that are being illegally sold on.

Morally, it's no worse than buying bootlegged media such as fake DVDs at a market - he has no right to profit from this or even distribute it freely. :no:
    Morally exam boards should have all the material and mark schemes available free online - so everyone has a fair chance at the exams. They can make their money from the entry fees.

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand why they remove old papers ... just leave them on ffs. Although some exam boards have been known to slap on 2002 questions on the 2008 ones ... half the paper was same lol

ReputationRep:
    Morally, it's no worse than buying bootlegged media such as fake DVDs at a market - he has no right to profit from this or even distribute it freely.
    Oh noes, evil.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Morally, it's no worse than buying bootlegged media such as fake DVDs at a market - he has no right to profit from this or even distribute it freely. :no:
    Morals are for those who can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamstar)
    I always thought this sort of thing was perfectly legal as long as you weren't making any profit off of it. I don't much about this sort of thing though
    Well, you are wrong about your first point, though quite right about your second.

ReputationRep:
    it is not illegal to host past papers:
    1.if you are keeping them for yourself
    2.not making a profit out of them (you could be sharing them with 'friends')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psl89)
    2.no making a profit out of them (you could be sharing them with 'friends')
    If you publish them on a website you are infringing copyright. Profit, or even payment, is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    If you publish them on a website you are infringing copyright. Profit, or even payment, is irrelevant.
    ^^Correct.
    (Original post by psl89)
    2.not making a profit out of them (you could be sharing them with 'friends')
    ^^Ludicrous

ReputationRep:
    You seriously shouldn't pay somebody else for past papers that are being illegally sold on.

And equally you can say AQA and Edexcel have no right to charge such extortionate amounts for their services - they must undoubtedly have a large surplus every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadmau5)
    And equally you can say AQA and Edexcel have no right to charge such extortionate amounts for their services - they must undoubtedly have a large surplus every year.
    Does it matter whether they have surplus amounts or not?

Big movie companies are stinking rich too - does that give you the right to buy bootlegged copies of their films? No - so the same applies to past papers too. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter whether they have surplus amounts or not?

Big movie companies are stinking rich too - does that give you the right to buy bootlegged copies of their films? No - so the same applies to past papers too. :yep:
    The difference is exam boards are charities. If anyone is stupid enough to buy resources that are readily available for free, they should feel free.

ReputationRep:
    The difference is exam boards are charities. If anyone is stupid enough to buy resources that are readily available for free, they should feel free.
    Well out of the main exam boards, only AQA is a non-profit charity, the others are not.

And if they are charities, surely you would feel right and proper to pay for resources you are using - so that they can keep doing the important work they do, right?

ReputationRep:
    That is officially, the most backward argument I have ever seen on TSR. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Charities can still have copyright and charge people for things.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you guys just get the papers off of the exam boards websites? ^o)

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel isn't - its owned by Pearson. The exams could be a lot cheaper if the government killed it off, along with OCR and just left AQA. Then mandated all the resources be put online for everyone - including free textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VVVES)
    Because not all of the papers are available. As far as I'm aware, they only go back about 3 years or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shonak)
    Hey guys,

I have a collection of papers that most people wont have. Am i breaching copyright or any other laws if I hosted it on my website?

Thanks
    Can you let www.freeexampapers.com have your papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixis)
    Can you let www.freeexampapers.com have your papers?
    That's a good point, I will enquire..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VVVES)
    For us unfortunate people who do exams with WJEC, we have no access to any past papers online.

That means A level chemistry is going to **** ME OVER.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.