Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Completely fed up - it never ends Watch

Well, its been a very stressful and tough week this week... I thought I had a job but it turned out someone was trying to rip me off. I've found out something about someone I used to be close to and I don't think I can speak to them any more. On top of that, I've just come back from hospital and I've managed to injure myself so I can't even take part in exercise this weekend - my only outlet.

It seems every time I try and sort out my emotional and mental problems and make any kind of headway, things like this crop up and crush me. I am meant to be a grown man but I am just a pathetic piece of crap who still gets pushed around in his twenties. I try so hard, I've given up drinking, I try and draw a line under events of the past, try and forget stuff and start fresh and i just keep getting knocked back. I just don't have the strength, I'm so upset and frustrated

ReputationRep:
    So what do you want us on the website to do about it?

Just wanted to write it somewhere that people might read it. I don't have anyone I can speak to. I am very alone and I thought it might help.

ReputationRep:
    samaritans?
    email them

yeah, I have called them quite a few times over the years. They are angels. Makes me feel good that there are people like that who don't wanna attack you because you are weak like others do.

ReputationRep:
    i've never phoned them but i emailed them earlier this year when i was going through a tough time and they were brill.

PM me if you really want, a thread isnt idea to talk about stuff like this

ReputationRep:
    You guys and girls are really harsh.

I understand what you are going through and it seems like things never get better, but keep your head up. Find other outlets to let out your frustration. I do alot of stuff to let go, from listening to hardcore drum and bass to writing poetry.

Also you sound slightly depressed. You need to pick yourself up. Find out the root causes of your problems, and if you need to, share them with us and plenty of decent people on here will help you out and offer their advice.

At the moment I am not sure what is causing your problems. Expand a little.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy for me to say 'cause I'm not in your shoes, but you're capable of getting through adversity. You've managed it for 20 years now...whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger I say. Just keep going. Humans are a resilient species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cascadingstylez)
    You guys and girls are really harsh.

I understand what you are going through and it seems like things never get better, but keep your head up. Find other outlets to let out your frustration. I do alot of stuff to let go, from listening to hardcore drum and bass to writing poetry.

Also you sound slightly depressed. You need to pick yourself up. Find out the root causes of your problems, and if you need to, share them with us and plenty of decent people on here will help you out and offer their advice.

excuse me? what is harsh about what i said??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    excuse me? what is harsh about what i said??!
    Not you, the other guy. I think I responded to the post before I read your comment ... or I might have read it wrong. Sorry.

(Original post by cascadingstylez)
    Find out the root causes of your problems, and if you need to, share them with us and plenty of decent people on here will help you out and offer their advice.

I can't - that's the problem. There are some things that I will never have the strength to feel comfortable talking about, even anonymously.

I wish I didn't blame how my life is turning out on my past and I wish I could take more control and I wish I wasn't so full of anger. I feel powerless. I feel like lying down and dying.

ReputationRep:
    i know its easier said than done because of financial constraints etc. but have you ever considered moving away from everything and just starting again?

ReputationRep:
    peep show solves all problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    So what do you want us on the website to do about it?
    You sir, are an idiot.

OP, just wait for everything to settle. Give your friend time or talk to them. I say you find some people you can hang out with to occupy your mind. Tough to give advice, expand a bit more on your problems.

i know its easier said than done because of financial constraints etc. but have you ever considered moving away from everything and just starting again?
    This isn't something I can escape. The problems with me, not my surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think running away from his problems is a good idea. They catch up with you in the end, and end up being much worse. OP needs to keep at it...channel some of his negative thoughts into other areas. Do some kind of sport/excercise on a regular basis, eat healthily, try and sleep well, make a routine for the day...I find all these things help me when I'm having problems.

You sound very much like a friend of mine who would try and 'sort his life' out evrytime something happened when all he needed to do was cope with that one thing.

Everytime he hit one of lifes hurdles he'd think he had to completely change everything, he'd go on a diet and start down the gym and start a new job and change his circle of friends and change his haircut and the way he dressed and his aftershave.

I know the last paragraph makes no grammatical sense but I'm trying to show his way of thinking, all he needed to do was adjust, cope with that one hting. It meant that every time something happened it would crush him as he'd have to change everythingrather than just cope.

He's a TSR member who'd recognise himself from my association, hence the anon

ReputationRep:
    have you tried proper counselling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can't - that's the problem. There are some things that I will never have the strength to feel comfortable talking about, even anonymously.

I wish I didn't blame how my life is turning out on my past and I wish I could take more control and I wish I wasn't so full of anger. I feel powerless. I feel like lying down and dying.
    Take control. Look towards the future. I assume you are at university and are doing well, and if you are not doing well, pluck up and study hard.

I know people have issues in life, and I am guessing yours are pretty bad because you can't even talk about them, but you need to move on. The past is the past, it can never come alive again, it can only be remembered. I understand some things can never be forgotten, in which case you have to look at ways of trying to forget them and working past them.

Its hard, I know, I have had so much hardship in my life and suicide has been an option too. If your problems really are that bad you need to speak to someone about it, and release all that pain.

Feel free to PM me or chat on MSN. I have had so many people on here help me out in the past when I was going through really bad times, and I don't mind helping others out.

Sometimes I will lie in the garden and look at the stars (best in the summer) and just think about my life. And it really inspires me. I know you can't do it now, but find other forms of inspiration - anything that will inspire you.

At present I sleep on a 2 seater sofa, I have no private space, a little bit of money, recently split up with the girlfriend and I'm in mad debt ... but I still manage to keep myself afloat.

It is possible, you just need to realize it's possible.

(Original post by Shadow!)
    You sir, are an idiot.

OP, just wait for everything to settle. Give your friend time or talk to them. I say you find some people you can hang out with to occupy your mind. Tough to give advice, expand a bit more on your problems.
    I know, this will pass, the person wasn't a friend anyway, just someone I could occasionally phone - mainly because they felt sorry for me I think. But they don't matter. Its just the cycle of trying and failing at improving things.

Problems are basically depression, loneliness and despair. I've lost all skills in dealing with people, I am so lacking in self-esteem and knowledge of how to interact and i am so uptight.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.