The Student Room Group

Cambridge extenuating circumstances for medicine

Hello,

I want to apply to read medicine at Cambridge, or am atleast considering it. I was just looking into universities briefly and it's not my final decision but I'm approaching all unis with an open mind.

During y10/y11, I missed a fair bit of school due to illness. I had around 70% attendance, and was often ill. I have medical documents that show I have a chronic MSK illness.

In my GCSE's, I got 999888775A* in rs, literature, language, biology, physics, maths, chemistry, german and EPQ.

Will Cambridge take into account my extenuating circumstances considering I had low attendance and was suffering from a chronic illness? I am trying to make up for the less stellar performance at gcse by working extra hard for a levels, and will make sure to try do my very best in other aspects such as personal statement, interview, admission tests, predicted grades etc.
What do you need to have gotten at GCSE?
Reply 2
"With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually."

With that being said, Cambridge is actually slightly more flexible with GCSEs (compared to Oxford). As long as you have great AS/A Level predictions, BMAT etc then that can make up for any shortcomings you have with your GCSE grades.

I have peers who got into Cambridge Med despite not having “extraordinary” GCSEs. One also got a contextual offer due to health issues, so yes I do believe they will take into account your extenuating circumstances.

You could always email the admissions office directly and ask them!
Original post by Iyumi
"With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually."

With that being said, Cambridge is actually slightly more flexible with GCSEs (compared to Oxford). As long as you have great AS/A Level predictions, BMAT etc then that can make up for any shortcomings you have with your GCSE grades.

I have peers who got into Cambridge Med despite not having “extraordinary” GCSEs. One also got a contextual offer due to health issues, so yes I do believe they will take into account your extenuating circumstances.

You could always email the admissions office directly and ask them!

Just to flag, this quotation is 6 years old and no longer applies. Here's what we say about GCSEs and this applies to all subjects:

"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved."

OP, we would definitely take your Extenuating Circumstances into account. This doesn't mean you'll be given a free pass, but it will help us assess your achievements in their own context.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending