Turn on thread page Beta

L'Oreal prelightener - anyone used prelightener b4? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have naturally very dark brown hair and i want to take my hair to a very light brown (ash, perhaps).

I've bought L'Oreal prelightener cream and i was wondering what people's experience of either this specific product or prelighteners have been.

Does anybody have any advice or helpful tips that i should follow when using (e.g., should i use one or both sachets of the 'booster' cream?).

Please help x

also, p.s., will my hair turn orange!!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you have very dark brown hair, I don't think any sort of home lightening is recommended due to its tendency to go wrong e.g. go orange.

ReputationRep:
    If you use the prelightener, it will go a yellowy blonde. (I have black hair and have prelightened it prior to dying often)

If you want a light brown hair you can use the prelightener, then dye your hair the colour you want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    If you use the prelightener, it will go a yellowy blonde. (I have black hair and have prelightened it prior to dying often)

If you want a light brown hair you can use the prelightener, then dye your hair the colour you want it.
    Yes, as Revd. Mike says, you'll have to dye over it again.

I never use home bleaching kits for their tendency to go wrong - they're just not strong enough, and with good reason, or hairdressers would lose out.
    Which is why my rule is - going darker, fine to use a home kit, bleaching or highlighting, always use a hairdresser.

You can try it if you want though!

ReputationRep:
    I have dark brown hair and I lightened it once......it went orange!!. Had to dye it back to brown almost instantly.

ReputationRep:
    Question: can you get pre lighteners that strip it a shade or two lighter? Not just straight to blonde?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    Question: can you get pre lighteners that strip it a shade or two lighter? Not just straight to blonde?
    Yup, I have some hair stripper upstairs, which just removes the colour step by step, but isn't a bleach. I think it's called ID Elimin8, and I got it off eBay

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way - I have never seen a pre lightener that has done what the buyer wanted it to do!

ReputationRep:
    omg i have been looking for something like this! i have brownish/gold hair i want it to go a bit more gold/lighter but i dont wanna dye it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Yup, I have some hair stripper upstairs, which just removes the colour step by step, but isn't a bleach. I think it's called ID Elimin8, and I got it off eBay
    Ooh thanks
    Everytime I want to dye my hair a mid brown colour it always has that redish tint in it and I want to make it a little lighter and then try again

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I wouldn't...home lightening is really risky, especially if your hair is very dark.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh thanks
    Everytime I want to dye my hair a mid brown colour it always has that redish tint in it and I want to make it a little lighter and then try again
    Yeah, I'm gonna try it next week, so hold off til then and I can let you know :P

ReputationRep:
    It's fine if you're just lightening it to dye over it! But if you're only going to use the lightening kit... I wouldn't risk it :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.