Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ignoring legs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I read a lot of posts saying that you CANNOT ignore legs when doing weights and stuff. However, I am a middle distance runner (10k) and I have read many many times that weight lifting and endurance exercise do the exact opposite to muscles. In this case is it alright to just exercise my upper body with weights and leave my legs for the running?

ReputationRep:
    Do 10k runners derive any benefit from working their upper bodies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woofdog)
    I read a lot of posts saying that you CANNOT ignore legs when doing weights and stuff. However, I am a middle distance runner (10k) and I have read many many times that weight lifting and endurance exercise do the exact opposite to muscles. In this case is it alright to just exercise my upper body with weights and leave my legs for the running?
    You're stereotyping. Getting bigger is not the only goal you can achieve through weight training, it all depends on how you train (ie; what exercises you chose, what sets and reps, what rest periods, workout frequency, etc).

I have heard of endurance runners doing weights to improve their endurance and speed, both of which would be highly beneficial.

Secondly you're going to look like an absolute rupert having a big, nicely toned torso, and chicken legs, but hey if that's what you want...

ReputationRep:
    I found working my legs helped me - stronger glutes, hams and quads! Give you extra power for the last km to rinse the field. Stop whinging and get lifting! You don't get big by accident..... you have to put in a lot of work and eat right to get big; so what's stopping you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woofdog)

You just said that weight lifting and the endurance (your running) do the exact opposites. Therefore you've answered your own question, it makes no sense to weight train your upper body and then do the "exact opposite" to the lower half of your body, unless you're endurance training your upper body aswell with weights, ie 15 reps sort of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    But curlz get the girlz?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer my guys to have skinny legs. You better not make them massive!

ReputationRep:
    Nah man, Chris Hoy legs FTW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Nah man, Chris Hoy legs FTW
    I agree - I'd rather have a guy who looked good all over, not just with his shirt off

He has :love: legs *swoon*

ReputationRep:
    You just like looking at guys in lycra pants.

Pervert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    You just like looking at guys in lycra pants.

Pervert.

So do you.

HOMO.

ReputationRep:
    Why do rowers n stuff in uni go to the gym in their lycra outfit. It's very homo.

ReputationRep:
    Where's a lycra clad rower when you need one? Apagg? Chumbaniya?

ReputationRep:
    My lowers are made out of lycra, does that count?

ReputationRep:
    i wear lycra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    i wear lycra
    :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    :coma:
    :p:

Not an all in one mind.....

ReputationRep:
    You see dudes wearing those lycra bodysuit things in the gym doing cardio. Why?

It's not as if it even compliments them cause there is usually a certain lack of bulge going on.

Not that I look for a bulge.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Where's a lycra clad rower when you need one? Apagg? Chumbaniya?
    You're requesting pics of me in lycra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    You're requesting pics of me in lycra?
    Yes.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.