Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Unless they have probable cause, they can **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmyMonster)
    If you were in a clothes shop, would you lift up your top to show them your underwear to prove it wasn't stolen? :rolleyes:

I'd refuse. Same as I refused to have my school bag searched when teachers were checking for something.

Usually the phrase "go to hell" works.
    That's a bit of a poor example. If I'd gone into a shop and tried something on, generally there are attendants there to supervise how many items you are taking in, and if there isn't there, I always go and check with someone if it's ok to try it on.

If I'd gone into a shop with a massive kitbag (which does look bad to a shopworker, sorry, but it does) and I left without buying anything, of course I would let them check my bag.

I don't know why people are so ******* rude to shop workers, and seem to think that they are above them somehow. They're just doing their ******* job.

Just ******* agree, it gives you and everyone else an easy life, and if you're innocent you have nothing to hide anyway.

End rant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    That's a bit of a poor example. If I'd gone into a shop and tried something on, generally there are attendants there to supervise how many items you are taking in, and if there isn't there, I always go and check with someone if it's ok to try it on.

If I'd gone into a shop with a massive kitbag (which does look bad to a shopworker, sorry, but it does) and I left without buying anything, of course I would let them check my bag.

I don't know why people are so ******* rude to shop workers, and seem to think that they are above them somehow. They're just doing their ******* job.

Just ******* agree, it gives you and everyone else an easy life, and if you're innocent you have nothing to hide anyway.

End rant.
    Yeah, anyone here that's worked in a shop will feel sorry for shop assistants lol, whether it was right in this scenario or not is not the point, we have to deal with the crap passed down from management and take all the flak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpont)
    No, stealing from Lidl would be worse :P
    no. that would be netto.

ReputationRep:
    So it added, what, 20 seconds to your trip to the car. And you managed to make them feel like an idiot in the process (or you should've done, if you played the victim properly)

I don't see the point of people saying "Tell them to call the police". If they call your bluff your going to have to sit in a crappy little back room waiting for an hour for the police to get there.

Sure, they had no right to search you. But its hardly a big deal, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Just let them do it. Sorry, but from a retail point of view, it does look bad, and stock loss at a time like this just isn't good for businesses. And the last thing they want is for someone to get on their high horse and start complaining, when it's just procedure, and they don't want to do it any more than you do.

Plus, if you're innocent, what exactly have you got to hide?
    Agreed. This is making a fuss over nothing. If you'd said no, you'd have looked very suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    After rugby today I walked into ALDI to meet my dad who was picking me up. Being knackered he let me take the keys and get into the car. As I walked out of the store and into the car park an ALDI worker asks if she can check my bag because I didn't buy anything but went in with a big sports bag. Being too tired and pissed off at the world to disagree and/or argue, I was a pushover and let her check my bag. I can't believe it, it was outside the store ffs! :mad:
    how can I stand up for myself in the future? I'm crap in arguments :o: I'm too nice
    OP that is nothing!

An ALDI security guard once asked me to remove my beanie hat because he thought I was hiding a CD-ROM up there...seriously... such a 'tard.

Fortunately it distracted him from the bratwurst I had stuffed into my shoe...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    i actually thought you meant there was a bleeding (blood) worker from ALDI
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Okay, I totally misinterpreted the thread title. I thought you witnessed ALDI workers bleeding to death or something.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread otherwise, sorry.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that....:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she was trying to flirt with you.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's a bit annoying when and you feel like you're having your privacy invaded, but I think being co-operative in these situations is the best bet.

Aldi stores a pretty well covered by CCTV and even if they aren't monitored they are still recording.

If you had refused, depending on the location of the store - if you were in a town then more than likely they'd radio in and then you'd be followed by CCTV scrutinising your every move. If you were in a car, it's possible they would take those details and pass them onto the old bill.

3 weeks down the line you got PC Plod knocking on the door asking about "an incident in Aldi on 14th November..."

It's not worth the hassle - a shame - but true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    After rugby today I walked into ALDI to meet my dad who was picking me up. Being knackered he let me take the keys and get into the car. As I walked out of the store and into the car park an ALDI worker asks if she can check my bag because I didn't buy anything but went in with a big sports bag. Being too tired and pissed off at the world to disagree and/or argue, I was a pushover and let her check my bag. I can't believe it, it was outside the store ffs! :mad:
    how can I stand up for myself in the future? I'm crap in arguments :o: I'm too nice
    Same with me I usually was too "nice" to deal with people in these sort of situation. However almost 99% of people, once they work in any customer service environement (debt collectors, supplier that kind of thing in my case) have the confidence to argue about it. Arguing is often not the right option, but in this case the woman could logically assume that you didn't steal anything, but was simply stereotyping.

There's a good chance that rather than being crap at arguments, you take arguments that you shouldn't. What I mean is that you should only argue if you have a solid basis of facts and are comfortable in the ideal that you are right. If so, proceed to whoop ass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)
    So it added, what, 20 seconds to your trip to the car. And you managed to make them feel like an idiot in the process (or you should've done, if you played the victim properly)

I don't see the point of people saying "Tell them to call the police". If they call your bluff your going to have to sit in a crappy little back room waiting for an hour for the police to get there.

Sure, they had no right to search you. But its hardly a big deal, is it?
    I think the point is that to some people keeping their privacy and rights is a big deal.

(Original post by Perfect_Gent)
    But even if they'd found your bag full of their stuff unless they'd seen you put it into you bag they wouldn't have got a conviction so it was pointless stopping you.
    That's not really true. Fruit of the poisonous tree doesn't really exist in England except for coerced confessions.

OP, just say no. It can be flustering to be faced down by someone who acts like they're in authority, but hell, successfully asserting your rights can actually be a high itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    lol, stealing from ALDI would be the chavviest thing ever
    It might appear so... however, let's consider for one moment that the owners of ALDI are the richest men in Germany.

Well stealing is not a good idea in any case.

ReputationRep:
    stealing from the postal service would be more chavvy

"GOD DAMNIT SOMEONES STOLE MY PARCEL"

ReputationRep:
    Ironically, they probably get the most shoplifters.

Plus, if you're innocent, what exactly have you got to hide?
    Er, bags very often contain things of a private nature. Either way, it's your personal space, and it is an affront to have anyone violate it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't think it's rude to effectively accuse someone of being a possible thief?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steelmole)
    I think the point is that to some people keeping their privacy and rights is a big deal.
    Yeah... as it is to me. But asking to look in someone's holdall as they are leaving your store without buying anything is hardly the crime of the century. And as I said, I'd rather go home than kick up a fuss about how the person is 'invading my personal space' or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be happy about it. And I'd make it known I wasn't happy about it. But I wouldn't just refuse on a point of principle because as I say, its not worth the effort or time involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)
    But I wouldn't just refuse on a point of principle because as I say, its not worth the effort or time involved.
    Exactly

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.