The Student Room Group

Does playing hard to get work?

I'm not talking about anything drastic here by the way. I met this guy I like recently, we've seen each other out clubbing a couple of times and we've got on really well and have been texting once or twice a week. I just don't want to seem desperate at all. Do you think that if I show interest in general, but do little things to show I'm not too keen (like occasionally wait a while to reply to his text, or be the one to end our text/msn conversations) that it will get him more interested? I know what I've described isn't really playing 'hard to get', just not seeming too obsessed. It's just that when I've liked guys in the past, if they don't reply to my text, I get slightly worried and wonder if they like me or not, and when they do reply I'm relieved and more interested than before. So I wondering if it's just me that feels like this!

Scroll to see replies

NO. playing games never works. its childish.
Reply 2
Don't be easy, but don't play games either.

Make your intentions clear enough and if he's up for it he should make the move!
Reply 3
amrizzle
Don't be easy, but don't play games either.

Make your intentions clear enough and if he's up for it he should make the move!

DO you think what I described sounds about right? I mean making an effort most of the time, but not all the time. What would you consider to be easy/desperate in terms of texting?
Reply 4
Indirectly make it clear that you're interested, but really avoid being too OTT i.e. replying to messages instantly, rambling on for ages in messages about nonsense, always asking him what he's doing. It sounds childish, I know we shouldn't play games, but come on, who really wants someone to text them back within one or two minutes of sending the message? I guess we all play 'games' to a degree it's whether it's intentional or not.
Reply 5
Anonymous
DO you think what I described sounds about right? I mean making an effort most of the time, but not all the time. What would you consider to be easy/desperate in terms of texting?

Well not every guy is the same, but I'd normally look for the girl to give me the go ahead. So if you're making some sort of effort most of but not all the time, I'd say that was good.

If a girl was texting me every night and being too forward then I'd get a little scared. You seem to have the right idea, just don't overthink it and keep the chat natural. If it's meant to happen and he likes you then things should work out. Just don't make it too hard because some guys get tired of the chase.
Well obviously you don't want to be too easy but playing too hard to get would certainly make me lose interest.
From my experience, nao
Reply 8
StotheL
Indirectly make it clear that you're interested, but really avoid being too OTT i.e. replying to messages instantly, rambling on for ages in messages about nonsense, always asking him what he's doing. It sounds childish, I know we shouldn't play games, but come on, who really wants someone to text them back within one or two minutes of sending the message? I guess we all play 'games' to a degree it's whether it's intentional or not.

That's exactly what I meant. It might sound childish to play games, but I'm not going to text back after a minute even if I have been hoping he'd text! What other advice do you have? e.g. don't initiate a text conversation twice in a row, and that kind of thing!
Reply 9
KayleeLand
NO. playing games never works. its childish.

Lies. Games usually ALWAYS work. :parrot:
Saying that, there's this guy atm who isn't falling for my [obvious :rollseyes:] charms. It's so annoying. :frown:
Reply 10
SiaSiaSia

If both parties are 15 or under.
amrizzle
If both parties are 15 or under.

Not necessarily.
I mean, I'm over 15.. :P
The guy who is not responding to my games WAS 15 though... :s-smilie:.
Reply 12
SiaSiaSia
Saying that, there's this guy atm who isn't falling for my [obvious :rollseyes:] charms. It's so annoying. :frown:

...Don't you have a boyfriend of 2 years?
Symbea
...Don't you have a boyfriend of 2 years?

Yes...
Shhhhh :P
Reply 14
SiaSiaSia

I mean, I'm over 15.. :P
The guy who is not responding to my games WAS 15 though... :s-smilie:.

:eek:

Still if you were 15 or less the games would have worked I'm sure, because my theory states that they would.
amrizzle
:eek:

Still if you were 15 or less the games would have worked I'm sure, because my theory states that they would.

Hahahaha
But must theories ALWAYS be correct?
Reply 16
SiaSiaSia
Hahahaha
But must theories ALWAYS be correct?

Mine usually are, though for lesser beings there is room for error.
Leads to nowhere.

:mad:
amrizzle
Mine usually are, though for lesser beings there is room for error.

Are you suggesting I am a LESSER being? :shifty:
Reply 19
Don't play games, most guys just think 'Oh, she doesn't like me' and stop pursuing.

Latest

Trending

Trending