The Student Room Group

I'm sick of people doing this:

Why are there so many people asking if they have a chance at an interview from a normal uni, not even oxbridge, that when you ask them what their stats are they say something like 3500 B1 A*A*A* achieved, A* in EPQ, all 9s in gcses, platinum duke of edinburgh, grade 20 on the trombone and an OBE.

Whats the bloody point? They already know the answer. I thought maybe it's to (not so) subtly flex on everyone but that doesn't make any sense since otherwise they'd keep it on the more "prestigious" uni threads but you see it on all of them from sunderland to even foundation medicine courses.

Why does this happen? It just ****es me off. Can someone explain:s-smilie:
I will never know but it might be because places are scarce now due to the current demographic bulge (meaning there are more Year 13 students now than ever before) and before this demographic bulge even happened, only 60% of medicine applicants even get 1 offer. And despite the fact that a lot of people that are getting A*A*A*, A in EPQ, DofE, Band 1 UCAT score, top decile BMAT score, etc - it doesn't guarantee that they will get a place. A lot of people who get top grades and stuff don't necessarily get an offer which is the most upsetting part. These people only want some form of reassurance.
It's anxious people, close to the deadline, needing reassurance of their own value as presented on a paper application
they have no social life im guessing. just want some dopamine hits from replies
Well said. I don't know how much this reflects me before I look at your answers. Insecurity sucks
Original post by prostecky
they have no social life im guessing. just want some dopamine hits from replies

Agreed, and guilty of this. I know it shouldn't mean anything, but I do feel what you say... Never even notice that before you point this out:redface:
Reply 6
Original post by sealaandians
Why are there so many people asking if they have a chance at an interview from a normal uni, not even oxbridge, that when you ask them what their stats are they say something like 3500 B1 A*A*A* achieved, A* in EPQ, all 9s in gcses, platinum duke of edinburgh, grade 20 on the trombone and an OBE.

Whats the bloody point? They already know the answer. I thought maybe it's to (not so) subtly flex on everyone but that doesn't make any sense since otherwise they'd keep it on the more "prestigious" uni threads but you see it on all of them from sunderland to even foundation medicine courses.

Some of them are just annoying people trying to show off. Others overthink so much that they doubt their chances even with such good stats. Everyone needs reassurance once in a while, but it's so hard to tell whether they're genuine or just attempting to flex.
Many threads on here **** me off. I just don't read them. I highly recommend it.
TSR users have a very long tradition of doing this.
Particularly as oxbridge or ucas deadlines approach.

A mix of genuine threads from students who are: anxious, confused, intensely competitive, terrified that uni rejection will end their career ambitions/all prospect of escaping off to uni, under extreme pressure from their school/household/local community or have been raised by tiger parents or overbearing academically orientated relatives that have mapped out their degrees/careers/first 45 years of life by the time that they were 9 years old and have taught them that any failure to comply with such expectations will bring such heinous shame upon the family & wider community that the entire world will end immediately.
Plenty of trolling from attention seeking jerks, practical jokers and nasty people trying to mock or impersonate someone that they know with helicopter parents.
Original post by ROTL94 3
Many threads on here **** me off. I just don't read them. I highly recommend it.

Genius, I'll try that!

They are just boasting or probably exaggerating their grades to seem Oxbridge material.

It is pathetic imho.
Original post by Muttley79
They are just boasting or probably exaggerating their grades to seem Oxbridge material.

It is pathetic imho.

Yeah I just don't get it because if they were at that level they'd actually be applying to oxbridge uno

You've been on this website since 2014! Was it like this back then too?
Yeah I just don't get it because if they were at that level they'd actually be applying to oxbridge uno

You've been on this website since 2014! Was it like this back then too?

Yep - it's always been like this - Oxbridge obsessed and many boasting about grades they probably don't even have!
One reason is that for many high achievers it's the first time they've ever experienced doing something that they're good at, that matters to them, but that they may well not succeed at. It takes a while for people to wrap their brains round "yes, you are a plausible candidate for this course/university/whatever" being the same as "you have a less than 50% chance of getting an offer". I think they're subconsciously expecting that if they ask the question just the right way they'll find the secret to whatever it is that guarantees success.

(And a lot of it is just stealth bragging.)
Original post by skylark2
One reason is that for many high achievers it's the first time they've ever experienced doing something that they're good at, that matters to them, but that they may well not succeed at. It takes a while for people to wrap their brains round "yes, you are a plausible candidate for this course/university/whatever" being the same as "you have a less than 50% chance of getting an offer". I think they're subconsciously expecting that if they ask the question just the right way they'll find the secret to whatever it is that guarantees success.

(And a lot of it is just stealth bragging.)

Thanks, this is the answer thats made the most sense to me. I think I do get where they're coming from now. When I applied for medicine in year 12 I was consistently getting CCC grades in my a level subjects and my gcses while quite good comparatively to the rest of this forum weren't the best(no 9s even a 5 which some tsr users would make you think is a fail) yet I got all 4 interviews and an offer(did have to really beg my teachers to predict me AAA though lol) so its just weird to see people doing so well asking if they've got a chance at even one.

Sadly got AAB in my a levels this year missing my offer and I'm resitting the B subject, came back to this website to look for resit advice and was just reminded by how competitive people can be here lol
(edited 1 year ago)
It's a TSR rite of passage

Quick Reply

Latest