The Student Room Group

Research Project idea help

Hello,

I'm about to start my third year at University and I'm looking to pick an idea for my Research Project dissertation. Based upon my interest and module choices, I am looking into the area of Oncology.

Now, I would be highly interested into looking at the effect of cannabis (specifically, cannabinoids) on the treatment of different Cancers (most likely Melanoma). However, I know that Cannabis is still a Class B drug and so I can imagine that this type of research will not be permitted.

Do you believe there is a direction in which I could research in terms of the affects of cannabis on cancer; whether it be palliative treatment or therapeutic treatment? Or would i be looking more into the ethical side of it?

Thanks in advance.
Heroin is a class A drug but its still used in medicine to treat pain (sort of heart attacks too), and I don't imagine a research project looking at pain relief in whatever setting would exactly be banned.

Palliative treatment doesn't mean its not therapeutic! Palliative and curative, you mean.

I think this could work as an idea, though you'd spend a lot of time digging through a lot of poor quality evidence I'd imagine.
Reply 2
Original post by Tremelim
Heroin is a class A drug but its still used in medicine to treat pain (sort of heart attacks too), and I don't imagine a research project looking at pain relief in whatever setting would exactly be banned.

Palliative treatment doesn't mean its not therapeutic! Palliative and curative, you mean.

I think this could work as an idea, though you'd spend a lot of time digging through a lot of poor quality evidence I'd imagine.

Yes, curative treatment is what I meant sorry.

You raise a good point about the quality of evidence, so i will definitely have to look into what is out there before I make a decision.

Thanks!

Quick Reply