The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

UCAS personal statements

I’m currently in yr 13- I am undecided whether I want to apply for English as a single degree or English and history as a joint degree for Durham uni. As Durham offers a substitute PS I was planning on applying for both (even though it takes up 2 choices). Is this a stupid idea and a waste of a choice since the courses are very similar?
Does anyone also know specifically how a substitute PS works for Durham- do I have to send the application first before the uni ‘acknowledges’ it to then send them the additional PS?(the website is quite vague on this)
Hopefully someone knows more than I do on this :smile:
I would contact the department and ask whether it would be possible to switch from a joint course to a single course once you've been accepted. Some unis allow this. If Durham does, I would apply for the joint course since you would still be able to switch to the single course.

I'm not familiar with Durham applications or personal statements specifically though, sorry. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by penguingirl18
I would contact the department and ask whether it would be possible to switch from a joint course to a single course once you've been accepted. Some unis allow this. If Durham does, I would apply for the joint course since you would still be able to switch to the single course.

I'm not familiar with Durham applications or personal statements specifically though, sorry. :smile:

Yes, I have done that, just pending a reply…
It would make sense to apply for the joint at first like you say, but my personal statement is tailored completely for English, so I’m just gonna have to hope they’d be willing to switch from a singles to a joint.
I have been planning on primarily applying for English, but my indecisiveness tells me I may want to do history as well….
The problem is I don’t want to have to apply to Durham twice (using up 2 of my choices) for courses which overlap…. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I’m currently in yr 13- I am undecided whether I want to apply for English as a single degree or English and history as a joint degree for Durham uni. As Durham offers a substitute PS I was planning on applying for both (even though it takes up 2 choices). Is this a stupid idea and a waste of a choice since the courses are very similar?
Does anyone also know specifically how a substitute PS works for Durham- do I have to send the application first before the uni ‘acknowledges’ it to then send them the additional PS?(the website is quite vague on this)
Hopefully someone knows more than I do on this :smile:

Hiya

With joint honours degrees, since you're studying more than one subject, it makes your course different from a single honours (i.e., just English). So a substitute PS would be the best option for you here. To answer your other question, the website says:

Submit the substitute PS within three days of your application to Durham being acknowledged. This is because until we have your application from UCAS we won’t be able to match the statement (and the system won’t let you upload this); it can take UCAS a few days to process all the applications they’ve received. If you reach three days without acknowledgement, you can still try to upload the personal statement if it works then we have your application and the statement will be matched to it.

-Himieka
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

With joint honours degrees, since you're studying more than one subject, it makes your course different from a single honours (i.e., just English). So a substitute PS would be the best option for you here. To answer your other question, the website says:

Submit the substitute PS within three days of your application to Durham being acknowledged. This is because until we have your application from UCAS we won’t be able to match the statement (and the system won’t let you upload this); it can take UCAS a few days to process all the applications they’ve received. If you reach three days without acknowledgement, you can still try to upload the personal statement if it works then we have your application and the statement will be matched to it.

-Himieka

Ok thanks for your help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest