The Student Room Group

new school can be hard.

I have started a new sixth form ( I am a year 12) and I want to share my honest opinions on it so far.
I really miss my secondary school. I miss how in class, I wasn't afraid to put my hand up because I knew no one would judge me. however, it feels harder to do so at a sixth form.
I always used to be the top student at school in science.i got 9999988887 at GCSE and I went to a regular School. however, at this new sixth form, every other person in my biology and chemistry class seem to have gotten all 9s at GCSE at it for some reason makes me feel bad about myself, knowing how amazing my results are and how proud I am of myself.

everyone in class seems to always be a few steps ahead. they seem to know everything about the lesson before actually being taught. everyone just seems insanely clever.
I have 2 tests tomorrow (on biology and psychology) and I really put a lot of effort into revision.
it just feels like I am lower than everyone here. I'm unsure as to why as I know for a fact that I am fully capable and I am such a hard-working student. it's just, some people answer questions 24/7 in lesson and get the answer right and it seems that they are admired by the teachers. whenever I get picked on to answer a question, I get frightened and answer the question wrong - I hate being put on the spot - and I feel like I look stupid infront of my new class mates.

after typing this, it looks as though I really do care about my impression towards my new class mates. good lord
try reading ahead a little and revising at the end of each day. Use anki. It's good you're being challenged, it will make you smarter and do better in a levels and uni interviews if u go for oxbridge. If sixth form had been as easy for you as lower school then you would only be challenged when you entered university and probably have a 'gifted child identity crisis'
Good luck with your tests.

It sounds like you have a good strong peer group to study with. Don't be intimidated by this. You will settle in and get more confident over time. Don't judge yourself so harshly - no-one else in class will as no-one gets through school without getting some things wrong along the way.
Reply 3
When I saw that everyone in my Biology class was better at Biology than me by a longshot (it was my worst subject), it motivated me to work hard and catch up. I did loads of practice paper questions and stuck at it, and went from getting an E to a B, and then an A at some point (had a meltdown during the actual A-Level exam and ended up with a B but I was just proud that I'd crawled my way up from an E lol). Not saying you're in that position, but honestly you'll have to put effort into A-Level, no matter how smart you were at GCSE level. The smartest people in my year (and we were a high-achieving sixth form) had to work to get the grades they got. As for building your confidence, try pre reading the content in a text book, or using quilt to make online flashcards and just practice the knowledge you have learnt whenever you have spare time. Sixth form is difficult, but hopefully with time you'll find your way :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I have started a new sixth form ( I am a year 12) and I want to share my honest opinions on it so far.
I really miss my secondary school. I miss how in class, I wasn't afraid to put my hand up because I knew no one would judge me. however, it feels harder to do so at a sixth form.
I always used to be the top student at school in science.i got 9999988887 at GCSE and I went to a regular School. however, at this new sixth form, every other person in my biology and chemistry class seem to have gotten all 9s at GCSE at it for some reason makes me feel bad about myself, knowing how amazing my results are and how proud I am of myself.

everyone in class seems to always be a few steps ahead. they seem to know everything about the lesson before actually being taught. everyone just seems insanely clever.
I have 2 tests tomorrow (on biology and psychology) and I really put a lot of effort into revision.
it just feels like I am lower than everyone here. I'm unsure as to why as I know for a fact that I am fully capable and I am such a hard-working student. it's just, some people answer questions 24/7 in lesson and get the answer right and it seems that they are admired by the teachers. whenever I get picked on to answer a question, I get frightened and answer the question wrong - I hate being put on the spot - and I feel like I look stupid infront of my new class mates.

after typing this, it looks as though I really do care about my impression towards my new class mates. good lord

wow, it's crazy because I also take the same subjects and just switched schools AND curriculum in year 12, and everyone seems so prepared and smart here too... I always end up feeling dumb and being harsh on myself, I even had breakdown once because I felt so dumb compared to my classmates and embarrassed... ik I'm a year late but i just wanted to say yur not alone <3 we'll get through this!! if u do end up reading this hows things now...?
(edited 6 months ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending