Turn on thread page Beta

Rejected Contestant on American Idol Commits Suicide-Has Judge criticism gone too far watch

ReputationRep:
    Here is the link to the story:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-1017434.html

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X88_AWDck3g

Paula Goodspeed was reportedly a major fan of American Idol judge Paula Abdul and was deeply hurt by the criticisms made to her when she appeared on the show back in January 2006. She died of a suspected drug overdose in a car parked outside Abdul's house this month.
    Simon Cowell had made fun of her braces whne she appeared on the show and Paula Goodspeed had a MySpace page where she reported that she had been very upset by some of the mean things said by people about her performance on the show.

Are judges on reality shows sometimes too harsh on participants?

ReputationRep:
    I read and heard that she was an obsessive fan of Paula Abdul and had been stalking her - she didn't sound too sane in the first place, so, whilst being made fun of on tv can't have helped, I don't think it would have been the sole cause of it.

ReputationRep:
    Major fan = obsessed.

People like this already have something wrong with them. They just take the judges remarks, amplify them by 10, and instead of moving on, take them to heart and unfortunately things like this happen.

ReputationRep:
    I get so pissed off at story's like this. There is so much more **** going on in this word with people dying every day from starvation and disease etc who want to live for me to care that some lady decided to take her own life while stalking her favourite celebrity. Blaming the judges is just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    what worries me is people get obsessed with a television show to the point where they supposedly take their own life.. now that is FUBAR

ReputationRep:
    Good riddens.

Darwin marches on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overground)
    Darwin marches on.
    What an hero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marlyly)
    I get so pissed off at story's like this. There is so much more **** going on in this word with people dying every day from starvation and disease etc who want to live for me to care that some lady decided to take her own life while stalking her favourite celebrity. Blaming the judges is just ridiculous.
    +rep :ninja:
    (Original post by Overground)
    Darwin marches on.

Everything I was thinking you two have said. Thank you, saved me the brain energy to type it up :hugs: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssl9165)
    They can be quite harsh but I think they have to be. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Alot of people go on these shows genuinely believing that they are the next best thing when they actually have very little talent, so I think they need to be told straight for their own benefit. I read a quote by Simon Cowell once, I can't repeat it verbatim but it bascially said that he would feel guilty about giving people hope when they have no hope, so that's why he tells it like it is.

As for this particular case, I don't know all the details but no one commits suicide over one comment or criticism alone, she was probably unstable in the first place and whilst that particular comment might have tipped her over the edge, she was already dangling off it. You can hardly blame the judge, it's the individuals choice to commit suicide, no one makes them.

ReputationRep:
    The judges don't criticise harsh enough a lot of the time. They are there to judge and tell the people straight. Giving people false hope is often worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssl9165)
    I think that's the key word here.

ReputationRep:
    They were actually quite nice to her!!

ReputationRep:
    As many TV shows, ratings=big money.

creating friction=ratings

getting possible stalker people=friction

making fun of said stalker people=notagoodidea.

I hope her family get through this without being subjected to the kind of media pressure this creates.

ReputationRep:
    Yer they really weren't that bad to her, insulting braces isn't that nice I guess. But he even said nice to meet you... Its unfortunate, but I agree she was probably unhappy before the show.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I laughed...

ReputationRep:
    If anything its more of a reflection on the individual, rather than the judges comments. If you are looking for blame though, rather than judges its more likely to have been that combined with the attitude and messages of the media these days.

ReputationRep:
    It was 2 years ago. If she'd gone and killed herself straight away then, fair enough, you could place some of the blame on them for being a bit harsh to a nutter. Even then, like people have said, she clearly had problems that were nothing to do with their reaction to her and would lilely have tried to top herself anyway at some point. But... she went to the audition, was treated poorly, and then killed herself over it two years later? I don't think so. It was blatantly not even related.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why they latched onto the fact she had braces. That's just bullying tbh. Still, there's plenty of cruel people in the world... hence the huge following of such programmes.

Edit: hold on a minute, she had a crush on a woman that looks like Michael Jackson?!

ReputationRep:
    Yes they were a bit harsh, but auditioning for something like that kind of opens yourself up to all that criticism.

But as someone said, she didn't commit suicide straight after the audition. Other factors no doubt affected her emotions leading to suicide. The American Idol experience was probably a small part of a larger picture.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.