Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS Physics: Current and Charge Free Electrons Drift Velocity Watch

11. If the density of a metal is 12.0 \times 10^3 kgm^-3 and 84.6kg of this metal contains 6.0 \times 10^26 atoms,

a) find the number of 'free' electrons per cubic metre of the metal assuming that each metal atom has one 'free' electron

b) how many 'free' electrons will there be in a 1.0m length of wire made from this metal of cross-sectional area 1.0 mm^2

c)what is the total charge of the free electrons per metre of the wire

d) assuming that these 'free' electrons are responsible for conduction, how long will the charge in (c) take to travel 1m when a current of 3.0A flows?

e) what is the drift velocty of the 'free' electrons

!! I know this is long, but some help is appreciated! full solutions are not really going to help me, so just help me in where to start

thanks

anyone?

ReputationRep:
    almost 10 years later but is the answer to the first one 8.5*10^26?
    doing some revision for my a levels and using this question as practise

ReputationRep:
    *8.5*10^28

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.