The Student Room Group

Scared of rejection!

Hey everyone, I am applying for Oxford, Imperial, St A’s, Edinburgh and Glasgow to do Chemistry, with all A1’s (Scottish system) at Higher and N5. My predicted grades are all A1 at Advanced Higher. My PS is strong with a lot of focus on academics and my reference fills in the rest of the stuff (jobs, extracurriculars, etc)
However, I am really worried about being rejected from all my uni’s since they’re all quite competitive, I was going to put a safety but I wouldn’t want to go there if they offered me a place. What are the chances I won’t get into any of my choices?

Scroll to see replies

I say go for the ones you want! Don’t put down a safety you would never go to. There’s always extra/clearing :smile:
Original post by hcyune
Hey everyone, I am applying for Oxford, Imperial, St A’s, Edinburgh and Glasgow to do Chemistry, with all A1’s (Scottish system) at Higher and N5. My predicted grades are all A1 at Advanced Higher. My PS is strong with a lot of focus on academics and my reference fills in the rest of the stuff (jobs, extracurriculars, etc)
However, I am really worried about being rejected from all my uni’s since they’re all quite competitive, I was going to put a safety but I wouldn’t want to go there if they offered me a place. What are the chances I won’t get into any of my choices?

The only way to find out is to apply.

You might want to research other universities (in case you don’t get your predicted grades) or year in industry/gap year options as a backup.
Original post by hcyune

As advised before, apply to your top 4 initially then wait to see what offers/rejections you receive. You can fill in your fifth choice before the equal consideration deadline with a greater feel for whether you need a safety or not
Original post by hcyune

If you apply to all high risk university you run the risk of 5 rejection. You have to decide whether you want to take that risk. You cannot apply to these 5 without that possibility.
Worth noting that Edinburgh and often other Scottish universities won’t start to make decisions until after the January deadline so staggering choices might not be much help.
Original post by PQ
Worth noting that Edinburgh and often other Scottish universities won’t start to make decisions until after the January deadline so staggering choices might not be much help.

Ah, good point.
Original post by ageshallnot
Ah, good point.

It’s still worthwhile from the point of view of more time to research and more of a feel for how confident an applicant is in meeting their predictions…but I suspect quite a few of those 5 will use a “gathered field” :frown:
As far as I can see your grades exceed the entry requirements for the Scottish unis.

The offer rate for Chemistry for Edinburgh is a very high 84% for Scottish students. https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics. Glasgow don't publish the same stats but I would expect them to be similar.

Nothing is guaranteed but I think you are worrying unnecessarily for the Scottish unis. Is there a reason you think they would all reject a straight A1 grade student?
Reply 9
Original post by BlackLab
As far as I can see your grades exceed the entry requirements for the Scottish unis.

The offer rate for Chemistry for Edinburgh is a very high 84% for Scottish students. https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics. Glasgow don't publish the same stats but I would expect them to be similar.

Nothing is guaranteed but I think you are worrying unnecessarily for the Scottish unis. Is there a reason you think they would all reject a straight A1 grade student?

I don’t know how other applicants compare to me, especially with grade inflation during covid 😭
Feeling very stressed!
Original post by hcyune
I don’t know how other applicants compare to me, especially with grade inflation during covid 😭
Feeling very stressed!

More applicants get rejected by Oxford and Imperial than get offers and that is probably the same for St Andrews. If you apply to these universities that is a fact and you have to accept the risk. Often students who exceed the entry requirements get rejected. It is a fact you have to face up to if you apply there.
It is quite likely you will get an offer from a Scottish uni and I assume these are your preferred options due to not paying fees.

If you are genuinely concerned about being rejected from all of them, and you don't want to reapply after a gap year, you could consider replacing Imperial or Oxford with York which is highly rated for Chemistry.
Original post by hcyune
Feeling very stressed!

Grade inflation is looking to be reversed in next year's exams. Teachers are also guided by this and so the predicted grades going out now for uni applications would have taken this into consideration. I don't think anyone can say with certainty what sort of grades will be presented to universities, and so admission staff will want to see what the new cohort of students' grades look like before making offers. In so doing, I think we can expect universities to batch a larger number of applications before making offers.
Original post by hcyune

Having applied to Oxford, St Andrews and Imperial last year to study a masters in Chemistry (as well as Durham and UCL, but you didn’t ask about them), what I can tell you is that only Oxford and Imperial interviewed me and of the 4 unis (all but Oxford) I applied to gave me offers.

Imperial seems to give offers to the chemistry applicants very generously (I think it’s something like a 72% offer rate) and Oxford is rather stingy (it’s something like a 30% offer rate). Even with an interview that didn’t go so well (I may or may not have rather annoyed my interviewers by going into excessive amounts of detail), Imperial still gave me an offer.

I reckon you stand a good chance of getting into all of them, as chemistry isn’t a very competitive course and Imperial is too generous with it’s offers.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
More applicants get rejected by Oxford and Imperial than get offers and that is probably the same for St Andrews. If you apply to these universities that is a fact and you have to accept the risk. Often students who exceed the entry requirements get rejected. It is a fact you have to face up to if you apply there.

Hello! Do you mean even students who exceed entry requirements get rejected? OR do you mean students who exceed entry requirements will surely get rejected?
Original post by BubblesBB
Hello! Do you mean even students who exceed entry requirements get rejected? OR do you mean students who exceed entry requirements will surely get rejected?

He presumably means that some who exceed the entry requirements get rejected.

I was one such example with my application to Oxford last year (predicted A*A*A*, rejected post-interview). The feedback that I requested, since I’m reapplying, suggested the problem was the interview (which is unsurprising, as I hadn’t had many interviews before).

The fact is Oxford can’t take everyone, as the number of people with grades that exceed the entry requirements is greater than the number of places they have, so some rejections have to be made. The interviews are a key factor in making such decisions.
Original post by TypicalNerd
He presumably means that some who exceed the entry requirements get rejected.

I was one such example with my application to Oxford last year (predicted A*A*A*, rejected post-interview). The feedback that I requested, since I’m reapplying, suggested the problem was the interview (which is unsurprising, as I hadn’t had many interviews before).

The fact is Oxford can’t take everyone, as the number of people with grades that exceed the entry requirements is greater than the number of places they have, so some rejections have to be made. The interviews are a key factor in making such decisions.

You must be a very impressive applicant to be offered an interview at Oxford considering that Oxford gives out interviews in lower % than Cambridge. What are your A level grades that you would be re-applying with, if you don't mind me asking?

I think it is reasonable to think that majority of applicants exceed entry requirements to Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL ...
You must be a very impressive applicant to be offered an interview at Oxford considering that Oxford gives out interviews in lower % than Cambridge. What are your A level grades that you would be re-applying with, if you don't mind me asking?

I think it is reasonable to think that majority of applicants exceed entry requirements to Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL ...

I got the following:

Edexcel A level Chemistry: A* (56 UCAS points)
Edexcel A level Mathematics: A* (56 UCAS points)
OCR A level Physics B: A (48 UCAS points)
Edexcel AEA Mathematics: Distinction (40 UCAS points)

Overall: A*A*A Distinction (200 UCAS points)

Oxford requires A*A*A, in which both the A*’s must be in science or mathematical subjects, thus I do exceed the requirements, but whether AEA Mathematics is considered or not is uncertain.

No it isnt certain that someone who exceeds entry requirements will get rejected but many do. It is also a fact many applicants who apply to 5 risky choices end up with 5 rejections. Look back o n here and that is what you will find.
Original post by TypicalNerd
I got the following:

Edexcel A level Chemistry: A* (56 UCAS points)
Edexcel A level Mathematics: A* (56 UCAS points)
OCR A level Physics B: A (48 UCAS points)
Edexcel AEA Mathematics: Distinction (40 UCAS points)

Overall: A*A*A Distinction (200 UCAS points)

Oxford requires A*A*A, in which both the A*’s must be in science or mathematical subjects, thus I do exceed the requirements, but whether AEA Mathematics is considered or not is uncertain.

:smile: Thanks for replying! Good luck with your re-application!

Quick Reply

Latest