Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place but here goes!

I've just dropped out of university where I was studying economics. My reason for leaving was that the course was too mathmatical for me and I couldn't do the maths. I was planning on reapplying for law this year but since reading around/speaking to people I am really worried about how competitive Law is after garduating with an LLB.

In my A-levels I did well- I got 4 grade A's in English, History, Economics and General studies. I also got 7A's and 3B's in my GCSES.

I'm really nervous about applying because the deadline is approaching and I still don't know what I want to study and I definitely don't want to waste another year.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice who's perhaps been in a similar situation..

Thanks everyone x

ReputationRep:
    Oh god...
    Sorry I can't help, but out of interest what year were you in and at what university? (if you don't mind me asking :o:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    Oh god...
    Sorry I can't help, but out of interest what year were you in and at what university? (if you don't mind me asking :o:)

That's ok. I was at York which is a bit of a coincidence! It's a great uni and most people there really liked the course it was just the wrong course for me (notice i have no A-level maths lol)

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well that's good I suppose, but I thought there were easier options in the first year for people who hadn't taken A-Level maths?
    Then again it is a Bsc afterall... sorry I'm taking over this thread.

OP, I'd go for Law if you think you can hack the degree (and are really interested in it).

ReputationRep:
    I've moved this from applications to the GUD subforum (and removed the thread you've just posted in here.

Do you want specific advice. By this I mean do you want some reassurances about law because, if so, I could move it to the law subforum if you want. If not, then GUD is probably the best place.

Anyway, it's understandable that you're cautious and that's a good thing. You don't want to rush the decision, find out law's not for you and drop out for a second time. Many top career areas are competitive and law is no different. It depends massively on where you want to go. If you're looking at the magic circle firms, or want to be a barrister, then getting to the right university is a great help but, whether you go to one of the top law schools or not, you will need that 2:1 or first and experience/contacts. Even then, it's very competitive. If you've got your sights set on provincial law firms (regional firms and particularly high street firms) then, yes, it's still competitive but with a good degree and work experience it's unlikely you'll spend the rest of your life on the dole!

Why does a law degree appeal to you? Do you know much about what studying law entails? If you're really not certain then perhaps it is best to just delay your application until this time next year. It'll give you some time to get work experience together, find out more about law (both what it's like to study it and what it's like being a solicitor or barrister - studying law and working as a lawyer are completely different things after all). It'll also be useful for working and getting some extra money together.

I'm not sure how helpful this post has been, it's almost one in the morning and I fear I've rambled again. I'll be back later this morning so if you've got any questions or would like this moved to the law subforum then let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentbs)

I've just dropped out of university where I was studying economics. My reason for leaving was that the course was too mathmatical for me and I couldn't do the maths. I was planning on reapplying for law this year but since reading around/speaking to people I am really worried about how competitive Law is after garduating with an LLB.

In my A-levels I did well- I got 4 grade A's in English, History, Economics and General studies. I also got 7A's and 3B's in my GCSES.

I'm really nervous about applying because the deadline is approaching and I still don't know what I want to study and I definitely don't want to waste another year.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice who's perhaps been in a similar situation..

Thanks everyone x
    You got 4As at a-level - write a killer personal statement and you're fine! People make out that subjects like medicine and law etc are so competitive and impossible to get into - trust me, they're not. If it's what you want, go for it. Your grades are more than good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marlyly)
    You got 4As at a-level - write a killer personal statemnet and you're fine! Pople make out that subjects like medicine and law etc are so competitive and impossible to get into - trust me, they're not. If it's what you want, go for it. Your grades are more than good enough.
    I think the OP's talking about how competitive law is after the LLB and possibly LPC (or BVC), not how competitive it is to get onto a law degree.

ReputationRep:
    River makes some very good points, but I guess you could always just apply for now (rather than choose a random subject or leave it till next year) then leave it if you later feel it's not right for you. UCAS isn't binding anyway. :p:

Get some work experience in the meantime, but if you do this then do it soon, because law is very competitive.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I think the OP's talking about how competitive law is after the LLB and possibly LPC (or BVC), not how competitive it is to get onto a law degree.
    Sorry, my bad (it is getting past my bed time ) in that case, all I know is that it is competitive, but once more, people like to greatly exaggerate things, and if you feel like you're good enough, then don't be put off. Everyone's in the same boat to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    River makes some very good points, but I guess you could always just apply for now (rather than choose a random subject or leave it till next year) then leave it if you later feel it's not right for you. UCAS isn't binding anyway. :p:
    Well, yes, but if you do that, then decide not to go in the end, it will be a waste of an application fee. Plus whatever it'll cost to travel to unis to visit them/go to an interview. Also, if you apply to LNAT unis, the cost of LNAT (can't remember what the fee is, of the top of my head, but I think there is one).

Sorry Electric Dreams, didn't mean to tear your point to pieces. It is an option, if you (OP) really would prefer to start uni in a year's time and are fairly sure law's for you. But I'd wait myself, until I was sure and take the opportunity to get more work experience (not that it's necessarily essential for your PS) and earn some money, or even just travel. I was almost in a similar position this year (long story) and considered applying this year but chose to wait till next year. In the end I've decided to give this degree one more shot.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes, but if you do that, then decide not to go in the end, it will be a waste of an application fee. Plus whatever it'll cost to travel to unis to visit them/go to an interview. Also, if you apply to LNAT unis, the cost of LNAT (can't remember what the fee is, of the top of my head, but I think there is one).

Sorry Electric Dreams, didn't mean to tear your point to pieces. It is an option, if you (OP) really would prefer to start uni in a year's time and are fairly sure law's for you. But I'd wait myself, until I was sure and take the opportunity to get more work experience (not that it's necessarily essential for your PS) and earn some money, or even just travel. I was almost in a similar position this year (long story) and considered applying this year but chose to wait till next year. In the end I've decided to give this degree one more shot.
    :laugh: Don't worry about it. I didn't even think about LNAT actually, plus I didn't know Law interviewed.
    Oh well, good points.

ReputationRep:
    plus I didn't know Law interviewed.
    In fainess most probably don't, to tell you the truth, it may only be a handful but I'm no expert. So if visiting unis isn't an issue (I would have thought one or two visits may be necessary as it's unwise applying to unis you've never really seen) then I don't think it should be a massive concern. At a guess the application fee and LNAT fee's about £50 in total, so not a fortune. That's just a guess though.

Just out of interest, OP, if you do apply for law would you consider York again?

ReputationRep:
    I'm very interested in the answer to that question. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do a joint Economics degree? Thankfully most don't have Econometrics as a compulsory :yep:

ReputationRep:
    In fainess most probably don't, to tell you the truth, it may only be a handful but I'm no expert. So if visiting unis isn't an issue (I would have thought one or two visits may be necessary as it's unwise applying to unis you've never really seen) then I don't think it should be a massive concern. At a guess the application fee and LNAT fee's about £50 in total, so not a fortune. That's just a guess though.

Just out of interest, OP, if you do apply for law would you consider York again?

yes I'd definitely apply. I loved the uni itself! The only thing that would worry me is that it's a brand new course at York even though I'm sure it'll be well established in a few years. I'm planning on applying to manchester and newcastle as well. I'm unsure where else to apply though, I've heard unis like warwick, durham and ucl expect a certain amount of A*'s at gcse!

Thanks for your advice everyone

ReputationRep:
    I'm very interested in the answer to that question. :p:
    lol yes i would!

i noticed your offer for economics at newcastle is a bit harsh! It was only ABB when I applied there last year. Where are u thinking of firming?

ReputationRep:
    No GCSE requirements for Law at Durham. You have pretty awesome A Levels so I would probably apply. So ling as you have a couple of fall backs you will be fine. And everyone i know who did Law and wanted a training contract got a training contract. Have also got a friend who did Law at manchester. He said vey good things and has just started training contract at a v good firm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lychee)
    No GCSE requirements for Law at Durham. You have pretty awesome A Levels so I would probably apply. So ling as you have a couple of fall backs you will be fine. And everyone i know who did Law and wanted a training contract got a training contract. Have also got a friend who did Law at manchester. He said vey good things and has just started training contract at a v good firm
    Thanks for that, I'll probably apply to Durham as well then..will just have to do well in the LNAT! I'm surprised they don't have a gcse requirement, my friend told me they're really strict on gcse's but he could be exaggerating I suppose!

Thanks again

p.s sorry for any typing errors, I'm half asleep lol

ReputationRep:

Thanks everyone x
    Are you sure dropping econ is the correct decision? How did you find it apart from the maths? Obviously you are a smart guy and you would work out the maths in the end.

One option would be to study Maths before returning to do economics. i.e. doing eocn at uni without A-level Maths is a tough route to go down. i.e. I have taught Maths at uni to students without A-level maths and I know their experiences.

Ideally you would want to do the whole A-level. Which would be tough as yoiu have less than a year.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard unis like warwick, durham and ucl expect a certain amount of A*'s at gcse!
    I know it has been said, but there's no set GCSE requirement at Durham (or UCL and Warwick, as far as I'm aware, but certainly not Durham). It's a top uni and law school, so they'll expect good grades, but you have a great set of A-levels and, with a good LNAT score, modest GCSEs don't need to be a hindrance. They only expect a high number of A*s for history.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.