The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Is it worth getting a bus pass living on campus?

Hello, I've been debating whether I should get a bus pass or not since I'm not sure how often I'd use it to justify the cost. On the website it says if you use the bus 3 or more times a week it'll be cheaper, but I'm not really sure if I'd need to use it that often. There's of course the free Sainsburys bus on Wednesdays but would I save more if I just got the bus to Aldi or Lidl and shopped there? I'm also not into clubbing or drinking at all so I won't need it for that. I'm not sure how often I'll need to go food shopping since fridge and freezer space is limited, but I've heard the shops on campus are quite expensive so I'll probably only use them if I really need something.

Did anyone get a bus pass first year? Was it worth it or just more expensive than getting a return?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I've been debating whether I should get a bus pass or not since I'm not sure how often I'd use it to justify the cost. On the website it says if you use the bus 3 or more times a week it'll be cheaper, but I'm not really sure if I'd need to use it that often. There's of course the free Sainsburys bus on Wednesdays but would I save more if I just got the bus to Aldi or Lidl and shopped there? I'm also not into clubbing or drinking at all so I won't need it for that. I'm not sure how often I'll need to go food shopping since fridge and freezer space is limited, but I've heard the shops on campus are quite expensive so I'll probably only use them if I really need something.

Did anyone get a bus pass first year? Was it worth it or just more expensive than getting a return?

Hi!

From personal experience getting the bus pass for living on campus is a bit of a waste. It really only works out to be worth it if you are having to travel most days a week from town to campus. When you are in first year you can make use of the Young Persons Bay Dayrider, which is £2.80 compared to a return which is around £3.40 (unsure if this last one has changed over summer). This will allow you to make as many trips into town and back in a day as you need, as well as go all the way into Morecambe and Heysham for no extra cost.

My first year was unfortunately in lockdown, so I don't know how much I would have gone to town otherwise, but you could always try and time shopping trips up with when you will be going into town anyway (either in the day or the evening) to save some money.

In second and third year the bus passes are definitely worth it and are very convenient but for living on campus I would say there is no point.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

From personal experience getting the bus pass for living on campus is a bit of a waste. It really only works out to be worth it if you are having to travel most days a week from town to campus. When you are in first year you can make use of the Young Persons Bay Dayrider, which is £2.80 compared to a return which is around £3.40 (unsure if this last one has changed over summer). This will allow you to make as many trips into town and back in a day as you need, as well as go all the way into Morecambe and Heysham for no extra cost.

My first year was unfortunately in lockdown, so I don't know how much I would have gone to town otherwise, but you could always try and time shopping trips up with when you will be going into town anyway (either in the day or the evening) to save some money.

In second and third year the bus passes are definitely worth it and are very convenient but for living on campus I would say there is no point.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Thank you! That makes sense, I can definitely see how it'd be worth it after first year. Thanks for the info
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! That makes sense, I can definitely see how it'd be worth it after first year. Thanks for the info

Hi Anon,

As Laura has said it isn't really worth it if you're living on campus but will save you a lot of money in later years if you're living off-campus.

I had a normal (i.e. prior to covid) first year living on campus and I found that I went off campus about once a week only. The under 19 DayRider is also a great cheap option (cheaper than a return) if you want to pop into town. I found that most of the society events were on campus too.

As a flat, we grouped up and got Asda delivered to campus. We bought a delivery pass and then as long as we spent over £40 (easy with a group of 5 or more people) they delivered it to campus with no extra fee. We found this really convenient but as you say there's also the bus to Sainsbury's which I believe should be free as long as you spend something like at least £5 in store. I found that there was enough food storage space to do a weekly shop.

The bus from town to campus is one set price so you won't save money just going to Aldi on the bus however, I'd suspect that your total shop would be cheaper at Aldi compared to Sainsbury's. If you want to go to Aldi you can get the bus to the 'Infirmary' bus stop, it's just at the beginning of the main town centre when driving from the uni.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest