The Student Room Group

Grammar help

Is “i gauged their prior knowledge on the topic” proper English?
Original post by todayyy04
Is “i gauged their prior knowledge on the topic” proper English?

From a grammatical perspective yes, it is.

However, the word "guaged" doesn't seem the best word to use here. Perhaps "assessed", "judged", or "determined" might be better - depending on the context.

I can't justify why "guaged" doesn't sound quite right - it just doesn't. It is, however, grammatical correct.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

However, the word "guaged" doesn't seem the best word to use here. Perhaps "assessed", "judged", or "determined" might be better - depending on the context.

I can't justify why "guaged" doesn't sound quite right - it just doesn't. It is, however, grammatical correct.

I think this may be because it's a bit of an orthographic anomaly in English.

It's a bit funny to see a word deriving from Old French (hence the 'au' spelling) with an English -d stuck on the end of it, as well as a preceding 'g' at the start).

Also, I think this verb tends to be used most commonly in its infinitive form, as opposed to in the past tense (e.g. 'it can be difficult to gauge...'). Though, that is just my own experience.

It is grammatically correct, as you said.

Edit: Also, I agree, it sounds a bit off in the context presented.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia

Original post by Meduse
I think this may be because it's a bit of an orthographic anomaly in English.

It's a bit funny to see a word deriving from Old French (hence the 'au' spelling) with an English -d stuck on the end of it, as well as a preceding 'g' at the start).

Also, I think this verb tends to be used most commonly in its infinitive form, as opposed to in the past tense (e.g. 'it can be difficult to gauge...'). Though, that is just my own experience.

It is grammatically correct, as you said.

Edit: Also, I agree, it sounds a bit off in the context presented.

Thank you guys! I’ve made sure to change it so it sounds better.

Quick Reply