Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you babysit do you set down a rate p/h or do the parents do this? I need to make some money fairly quickly (without resorting to prostitution) and I'm thinking of advertising as a babysitter. I can provide references from previous friends of family babysitting, so do I write a rate on the advert or do I let the parents set it.

Erm, I'm not sure if that makes any sense, peep show and posting=a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    id say £8/hour is pretty fair!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure its more like £5 lawl. But who knows...guys dont babysit. At least I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    id say £8/hour is pretty fair!
    2/3 of that.

How much experience do you have?

ReputationRep:
    My sister's for the past 6 years, friends of family for the past 3.

ReputationRep:
    i was going on like dollars probably lol

ReputationRep:
    ive done loads of babysitting and always let the parents pay me whatever but that can be a bit of a piss take in some cases. But thats because id be too embarassed to pull out a figure that i think is acceptable just because people often see it as an easy job so dont pay much. not everyones like this though

Ive been paid a massive variety of wages though:

For babysitting:
    3 boys aged 7,5 and 2 = £6 Ph. £7 ph after midnight
    A boy and 2 girls aged 14, 12 and 9= £3.20 ph :eek:
    one boy aged 6=£5 ph, £6 ph after midnight
    For a girl and 2 boys aged 16, 12 and 5= £4 ph
    For a boy and 2 girls aged 6,5 and 1= £5ph

I dirve myself there and back and do end up having to put them to bed etc. Erm some are far worse than others and a lot of the children will be complete gits just because they will see you are young.

ReputationRep:
    How much are people around your area charging?

Find out, and undercut them. You may not make as much out of one sitting, but once people find out you are cheaper, they may come to you instead. Babysitting is a funny 'un, because it's about trust and such, people tend to go with people who they know are good. I'm not saying you're not, it's just that good babysitters are like gold dust.

ReputationRep:
    I set the rate - £5 an hour, £7 if it's past midnight.
    I wouldn't write it on the advert though, just put something like 'for more information call ...' and then they'll most likely ask when they phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woofums)
    ive done loads of babysitting and always let the parents pay me whatever but that can be a bit of a piss take in some cases. But thats because id be too embarassed to pull out a figure that i think is acceptable just because people often see it as an easy job so dont pay much. not everyones like this though

Ive been paid a massive variety of wages though:

For babysitting:
    3 boys aged 7,5 and 2 = £6 Ph. £7 ph after midnight
    A boy and 2 girls aged 14, 12 and 9= £3.20 ph :eek:
    one boy aged 6=£5 ph, £6 ph after midnight
    For a girl and 2 boys aged 16, 12 and 5= £4 ph
    For a boy and 2 girls aged 6,5 and 1= £5ph

I dirve myself there and back and do end up having to put them to bed etc. Erm some are far worse than others and a lot of the children will be complete gits just because they will see you are young.

Give them some of your sig and they might came down some

ReputationRep:
    If I'm not there to do it, my parents pay any female teenager they know (usually a friends offspring) £10 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    If you arent getting at least the minimum wage, feel free to steal all the food. Anybody who is well off enough to be breeding children is ripe for exploitation.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, suck for you guys in England! I don't really babysit, but i know some people in the state schools, and they get like £12 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    I generally go with £5/hour and a taxi home or £5/hour before midnight then £7 after. You can't really expect to get paid much more than that because once the kids are in bed, you really are being paid to watch TV/do your homework and eat their food. If it is daytime babysitting which is obviously more hardwork, I would say maybe £6 an hour but only if you are willing (as I was) to really put some effort in it e.g. take them to the park, pre-plan some creative activities, play sports, drop them off to things they need to do, make them fresh, proper meals, do baking etc rather than just plonking them in front of the TV all day.

Most daycare charges about £4 an hour but that's because they can have one adult to 10 children so if you are looking to do daytime sitting, you have to make it worthwhile for them.

It also depends on the age and the number of children. So if you are looking after children 9+ you really are only supervising them and making sure they don't set the house on fire, rather than actually having to entertain them. As this requires less effort, you charge less. With small children, its obviously more of a responsibility, have to do more with them - basically you are constantly paying attention and finding things for them to do. This is worth more money.

I would put on your ad's rates negotiable, guide price £5/hour. But like another poster said, you need to find out what is reasonable in your area and this comes from asking your parents, and getting them to ask other parents to see what they would be happy paying for daycare and evening sitting.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.