The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham 2022 applicants accommodation and communication issues

Original post by Anonymous
2022 students, who start Freshers week 26/9 still have no enrolment, no college allocation and no communication from Durham- It is absolutely appalling

Thanking my lucky stars I chose another Uni over Durham. Total shambles only getting back to the majority of applicants in the deadline week in May most of whom were told they hadn’t got in, by which time many had missed out on accommodation choices at other unis. Appalling communications from admissions constantly emailing with misleading email subjects like ‘update on your application decision’ only to say that they still considering applications and that they would be giving decisions by the ucas deadline. Zero clarity from admissions, who were only contactable by chatbot. Contacting unsuccessful students with information about starting their course by mistake. Presently leaving students stressed with no college or accommodation, no point of contact, no way of enrolling and with modules getting booked up. Take a look at the 2022 thread, 2021 thread, 202……..

Scroll to see replies

My sister has been totally put off by my experience and I very much concur with this post from a parent on the 2022 parents thread, ‘A series of poor processes and mismanagement: First, we had students waiting for decisions until A level examinations had started many of whom were then rejected having waited for up to 7 months. (The story was that decisions took so long because of the rigorous assessment process when, in fact, UCAS forms don't even go to academic departments at Durham.) Those students that were offered places at this late stage were at the back of the queue for colleges, because college allocations had already started. And now, two weeks to go and students are being reallocated many of whom may have gone elsewhere had they known they were getting 'x' college rather than 'y'. To top it all, many students still don't have accommodation.’
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by H4ttie03
How come?

Durham have changed computer systems over the summer and it’s messed up the enrolment process, cas, accom, and lots of other stuff. A lot of info was released this week and last week but people were thinking they’re leaving it too late for the students to prepare. (some people are still waiting for their enrolment logins and accom, but we found out today you can call them up and mysteriously get an email like an hour later).

Also (as usual) people were changed colleges from their provisional after results day and some people are not happy with their new college as it’s different (eg from catered to self catered) from the original - but you are warned this will happen but for the majority of people you won’t have this happen only a small amount.

And on top of that people were thinking Durham was not going to send out info during the period of mourning, but they did (not sure if this was on TSR but definitely a concern on some of the chats of the students entering Durham this year).

(just want to end this with the statement that whilst it seemed wide spread, the majority of students got their info on time - except maybe accom where we were all waiting for quite a while but all colleges afaik have now sent round accom emails to the majority of students. You will see a lot of negativity on sites like here and r**dit since these are websites where people come to complain and seek for help).
(edited 1 year ago)
nope these were just normal applicants who had been on the thread from the beginning who started out with bushy tails and excitement and increasingly became worried, confused and let down. You may have had a lucky time but you were in the minority, possibly you were a contextual applicant. I understand sticking up for the uni you have plumped for but please don't pull the wool over prospective students eyes.
Original post by bxcs
Durham have changed computer systems over the summer and it’s messed up the enrolment process, cas, accom, and lots of other stuff. A lot of info was released this week and last week but people were thinking they’re leaving it too late for the students to prepare. (some people are still waiting for their enrolment logins and accom, but we found out today you can call them up and mysteriously get an email like an hour later).

Also (as usual) people were changed colleges from their provisional after results day and some people are not happy with their new college as it’s different (eg from catered to self catered) from the original - but you are warned this will happen but for the majority of people you won’t have this happen only a small amount.

And on top of that people were thinking Durham was not going to send out info during the period of mourning, but they did (not sure if this was on TSR but definitely a concern on some of the chats of the students entering Durham this year).

(just want to end this with the statement that whilst it seemed wide spread, the majority of students got their info on time - except maybe accom where we were all waiting for quite a while but all colleges afaik have now sent round accom emails to the majority of students. You will see a lot of negativity on sites like here and r**dit since these are websites where people come to complain and seek for help).
Original post by peridotdot
I think your daughter was very lucky as this certainly wasn't the case for most applicants. Did your daughter get a contextual offer? It seemed like these were the offers that went out on time (which were the minority). Just look at both the 2022 applicants thread and the Durham parents threads to see how many people missed out on the offer day in March and how Durham made no effort to put on a later offer day. Also how many people with 3 - 4 A* both predicted and achieved were kept waiting until A'levels exams had already begun to hear that they had or hadn't been accepted. The late replies were nothing to do with being a strong candidate or not. It was purely down to terrible organisation and a complete lack of care for the students applying. Every year applicants believe this year would be different to previous years fiascos and every time Durham messes it up again.

My daughter didn’t get a contextual offer - and was in the A* range that most applicants to top unis are in these days.

I suggest writing to the office of students and minister for universities and suggesting the offer deadline should be moved to the last day in April would solve this issue.

College reallocation is a possibility and is explained from day 1 at Durham and is acceptable. The delay to this reallocation isn’t acceptable as travel and accommodation for parents has to be sorted and time to purchase kitchen equipment etc needs to be factored in and I know several parents who have written to the vice chancellor to ask for her to take on this as a urgent project to improve for 2023.

As of 8am this morning there are a small nu significant group of kids still with no idea of their accommodation for next week.
My daughter didn’t get a contextual offer - and was in the A* range that most applicants to top unis are in these days.

I suggest writing to the office of students and minister for universities and suggesting the offer deadline should be moved to the last day in April would solve this issue.

College reallocation is a possibility and is explained from day 1 at Durham and is acceptable. The delay to this reallocation isn’t acceptable as travel and accommodation for parents has to be sorted and time to purchase kitchen equipment etc needs to be factored in and I know several parents who have written to the vice chancellor to ask for her to take on this as a urgent project to improve for 2023.

As of 8am this morning there are a small nu significant group of kids still with no idea of their accommodation for next week.

My child has a place that was allocated very quickly and is very lucky but I feel for these kids who are up in the air
My son received his Durham offer for Sept 22/23 just in the nick of time to just book onto the Open day in March (others who received offers the week after were unable to secure a place). He was an early entry applicant who applied in October. It was a standard conditional offer he is a UK English student not a contextual offer.

He has been offered a place to study in his chosen college which we have accepted and paid the £200 deposit well before and soon after A level results day and the 7 day cut off point and yet days before move in weekend Durham still haven’t communicated with him/us about the day or the moving in slot time!! He is one of the lucky ones as some people have only just received their reallocated College name today and they have still to begin enrolment, selecting modules, paying deposits etc etc.

All this stress which could have been avoided has really tarnished my sons last couple of weeks at home, his fantastic A levels results and being offered a place to study at a prestigious University.
My son received his Durham offer for Sept 22/23 just in the nick of time to just book onto the Open day in March (others who received offers the week after were unable to secure a place). He was an early entry applicant who applied in October. It was a standard conditional offer he is a UK English student not a contextual offer.

He has been offered a place to study in his chosen college which we have accepted and paid the £200 deposit well before and soon after A level results day and the 7 day cut off point and yet days before move in weekend Durham still haven’t communicated with him/us about the day or the moving in slot time!! He is one of the lucky ones as some people have only just received their reallocated College name today and they have still to begin enrolment, selecting modules, paying deposits etc etc.

All this stress which could have been avoided has really tarnished my sons last couple of weeks at home, his fantastic A levels results and being offered a place to study at a prestigious University.

I think not knowing the time slots etc is on the college and not the uni (but I'm not 100% sure). Is there any way he could contact the JCR?
Original post by XanaXoid
I think not knowing the time slots etc is on the college and not the uni (but I'm not 100% sure). Is there any way he could contact the JCR?

We have done this and just been advised to check his emails every day and that we should hear within the next week or so. Its not good.
We have done this and just been advised to check his emails every day and that we should hear within the next week or so. Its not good.

Well at least now you know that you'll know in the next week or so... really helpful! Unfortunately I don't know how to be more helpful but if something comes to my mind I'll let you know
Hmmm the current 2022 thread speaks for itself.
Applying for Durham University 2022: A Summary

Significant numbers of students waiting for decisions until A level Examinations had started up to seven months. (Please note: Durham University has a centralised Admissions Team and UCAS applications are NOT seen by Academic departments.)
Significant numbers of students rejected late April/early May some as late as mid-May with the potential to negatively impact performance in A level Examinations.
College Allocations began before all UCAS decisions had been made, so significant numbers of students offered places late in the year were at the back of the queue.
Students who had been rejected by Durham received ‘congratulations’ emails intended for offer holders.
The University states on its website that College Reallocation ‘is a rare occurrence’ but significant numbers of students were reallocated to the least popular colleges as late as early September.
With just a few working days until freshers week, some students were still waiting for confirmation of their College and their Accommodation.
Little to no communication from Durham throughout.
This was NOT a small handful of unfortunate students; significant numbers were affected. If the University wishes to dispute this, it should publish the total number of UCAS decisions made in April and May and the total number of College Reallocations for 2022 entry.

Significant numbers of students waiting for decisions until A level Examinations had started up to seven months. (Please note: Durham University has a centralised Admissions Team and UCAS applications are NOT seen by Academic departments.)
Significant numbers of students rejected late April/early May some as late as mid-May with the potential to negatively impact performance in A level Examinations.
College Allocations began before all UCAS decisions had been made, so significant numbers of students offered places late in the year were at the back of the queue.
Students who had been rejected by Durham received ‘congratulations’ emails intended for offer holders.
The University states on its website that College Reallocation ‘is a rare occurrence’ but significant numbers of students were reallocated to the least popular colleges as late as early September.
With just a few working days until freshers week, some students were still waiting for confirmation of their College and their Accommodation.
This was NOT a small handful of unfortunate students; significant numbers were affected. If the University wishes to dispute this, it should publish the total number of UCAS decisions made in April and May and the total number of College Reallocations for 2022 entry.

Oh my golly. Not sure whether I could cope with all that🫣
Original post by bxcs
i'm complete opposite of a contextual student lol
the majority of offers were sent between late january and march
it is true that is a minority of students, whilst still much more than it should be. it will seem like more as those with complaints are louder than those without
also, i'm not sticking up for the uni, they've completely messed over quite a few students. the current applicants can know what happened to applicants this year but we have to not over exaggerate the extent of how many were affected

Nobody is exaggerating and stating that it is the minority of students that have been affected is inaccurate and misleading. Please see the post below which clearly describes the experiences of applicants last year. It’s great that your experience worked out well but clearly not the case for many others. I agree that it would be helpful to see some stats from Durham regarding the issues outlined to avoid any exaggeration either way.
Latest update: Friday 16th September

St Chad'sCollege has withdrawn ALL room allocations.

My daughter has an unconditional offer for 23/24 as she missed out this year due to AQA being rubbish.

They marked one of her papers wrong - it was obvious they had - which meant she didn't meet her offer. We told Durham on the day but all they said was to get the remark to them ASAP. We got the remark to them by the 31st Aug, after AQA regraded her.

However, they said that they were full by this time and she would have to wait until next year. She had an offer for another really good Uni through clearing so we gave her the option of going there or waiting a year - and she's decided to wait.

The whole thing was immensely stressful for my daughter and none of it was her fault.
Original post by manchesterian
My daughter has an unconditional offer for 23/24 as she missed out this year due to AQA being rubbish.

They marked one of her papers wrong - it was obvious they had - which meant she didn't meet her offer. We told Durham on the day but all they said was to get the remark to them ASAP. We got the remark to them by the 31st Aug, after AQA regraded her.

However, they said that they were full by this time and she would have to wait until next year. She had an offer for another really good Uni through clearing so we gave her the option of going there or waiting a year - and she's decided to wait.

The whole thing was immensely stressful for my daughter and none of it was her fault.

Hang on I thought they had to honour remarks if submitted by 31 August? That’s awful and might even be a breach of contract. I feel very sorry for your daughter, hopefully she will be able to organise something fun and useful to do this year. I’m worried Durham doesn’t seem to put students welfare first.
Hang on I thought they had to honour remarks if submitted by 31 August? That’s awful and might even be a breach of contract. I feel very sorry for your daughter, hopefully she will be able to organise something fun and useful to do this year. I’m worried Durham doesn’t seem to put students welfare first.

They do honour it, subject to space. Which they didn’t have.
Original post by manchesterian
They do honour it, subject to space. Which they didn’t have.

Ah well a gap year will hopefully be fun.
2022 students, who start Freshers week 26/9 still have no enrolment, no college allocation and no communication from Durham- It is absolutely appalling

This is definitely not the same for every student. I'm a 2022 Fresher, and I've been enrolled since August, which is also when my college was allocated. I'm in several large group chats of Freshers, and none of us are having the issues you've mentioned. It's terrible that some students are having these issues, but what you see online is not a majority - those with no issues are not going to be complaining, or talking about it online.

Quick Reply

Latest