Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Delete please.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ed

I enclose this:
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...forms/csas.pdf

The information regarding whether you'd be eligible is in the grey box.
    I'm really not an expert- however 2 of my best friends are at cambridge now and I know a little about the process. It seems like you would be eligible to apply through it, according to the second part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed_matthews)
    While I know that no-one here is an admissions tutor, and therefore cannot really give a definitive answer as to my circumstances I was hoping someone might instruct me as to whether I should apply through the CSAS next October.

Essentially the reason I think I may qualify is that my father died while I was at school and as a result I suffered from unipolar depression for nearly 2 years. This all came on in January of Year 11 and my school recommended I didn't take my GCSEs that year, which I did not.

The following year whilst still suffering depression I began attending a local college to do my GCSEs (I could only do 3), unfortunately my results were not as impressive as I could have achieved and I got BCC. The following year I took another 3 GCSEs to get me over the so called magic five in which I got A*A*A.

I am now studying my AS subjects (and A2 english after getting an A at AS last year) and am predicted to get AAA by the completion of all my courses.

My only family member with a degree going back a couple of generations is my mum who went to Warwick.

So, if anyone could enlighten me as to how the system might deal with me that'd be just lovely.

Thankyou.
    She went to Warwick; there's your problem.

I believe the access scheme is only open for candidates with a family background that hasn't been in further education.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the second criteria's what I'd go for.
    I guess you're applying next year then?
    ... Just make sure that your teachers are aware of all the circumstances so that they can put it in the reference.
    Also, if you're interested, Warwick do a thing like it, called AWARDS. Might come in handy =)

All admissions tutors are obliged to take it into account, but just email the ones you like some time next year, and they should give you a good idea of if they will be more favorable to your application,
    Best wishes,
    Jess
    Also, they might look down on you (if I understood correctly) only doing 2 A2s this year; but put that in the reference too =)
    Out of interest, what subject? And also, yay, I'm a paternal orphan too!

ReputationRep:
    That was the part that confused me.

On my quick scan through it when I excitedly discovered it earlier it seemed like you had to be:
    From a poorly performing centre AND have no HE family members
    OR have disrupted learning

I think I should qualify under the second criteria, but if I have misunderstood it then it seems that one solitary family member going to a university that happens to be good shouldn't be such a bad thing. I wasn't very clear about her university either, she actually got into to the Coventry College of Education when it was amalgamated with the University of Warwick I believe.

Does anyone know if any of the colleges are particularly friendly about these situations. I looked at the specific websites of a couple and Churchill College was the most intimidating thing I have ever read. They seemed offended by anything but academic perfection irrespective of exceptional circumstances.

I think it's probably the second criteria that your case mainly applies to.
    I would honestly just email the admissions tutors from whichever colleges you're interested in. It's highly unlikely that they wouldn't be understanding and want to to try to answer your questions. Though of course they are busy at this time of year.

Also speak to your exams officer/head of year about it- they might be able to give you advice

ReputationRep:
    It does sound to me like you may qualify under the second part as it certainly seems like your learning has been disrupted! (I hope things are better for you now!)

Just so that you are aware though, Special Access is not an automatic interview invitation. I applied through this last year and did not get and interview and I more than satisfied the first part.

It may depend on colleges though. A few people had given me the impression that Special Access was automatic interview but it wasn't in my case.

Just something I wanted to pass on!

I hope all goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Also make sure that there is a teacher/tutor/counselor at your school who knows the circumstances, as they are the ones who have to fill in the CSAS form and you'd certainly want them to write an accurate picture about what happened. Hopefully you're better now

History will not be a bad subject to study, especially if you're interested in the material and it certainly is respected. Six modules worth of work crammed into a year may be ridiculously stressful, but the AS should be manageable and I'd say (though I have no authority) it's good evidence that you're trying to make the best out of a very difficult situration.

Work experience can't hurt. I'm sure quite a few firms have WE opportunities for interested students, hunt around on their websites (:

ReputationRep:
    does glandular fever count as disrupted AS year?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I think it could possibly help but you can't just say that you have done it. If you gained an interview you would be asked what you got out of the experience. I know lots of Law students who had no work experience in legal terms. I didn't and still gained 4 offers, Cambridge was the only place to reject me!

I was advised by my Oxbridge person at college that even my part time work at HMV was relevant as it showed I was able to time manage and also showed other skills. I took part in the National Mock Trial competetion and that was as legal as I got in terms of work experience.

For Law applications your PS is key. Experince is hard to come by and even if you do you must ask what will you really get out of it. If you are desperate to see a court in action go and sit in your local court for a couple of days. You will get just as much out if it. Show passion in you application, my top tip! Mine was for human rights and I incorporated reading I had done! If you are reading about the subject, go off the beaten track a bit. Every single Law student will have read Helena Kennedy, find someone new!

If you want any further advice from a Law fresher! (That feels good saying that ha ha ha!) PM me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieryiceissweet)
    does glandular fever count as disrupted AS year?
    I'm pretty sure so. When I had chicken pox, I missed all my Jan exams!
    It's a pretty bad thing though, right? What grades did you end up with? If it's like AAA, you might as well just have your teacher mention it on your UCAS reference, but if you were predicted AAA and ended up with BBC or something, make a bigger point on the UCAS reference, and go through CAS, what's the harm?

ReputationRep:
    You're definitely eligible. Make sure you apply using it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but it can be put on your Reference from your tutor, in UCAS. The CSAS simply give Cambridge more information and context in which to deal with your expectation.
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:

Does anyone know if any of the colleges are particularly friendly about these situations. I looked at the specific websites of a couple and Churchill College was the most intimidating thing I have ever read. They seemed offended by anything but academic perfection irrespective of exceptional circumstances.
    LOL. now I don't know what gave you that impression about Churchill! lol not to be biased, they're not like that at all. As it happens I applied from the Access scheme and got a place there. They have been really nice about it really I just had to write them a letter and get it seconded by my school principal. My situation was slightly different to yours though, both my parents abandoned me and then my grandparents died whilst I was doing my exams. I'm not saying your less eligible than me but as well as this no one in my family went to uni, like at any point ever lol. But as far as I'm aware, if your circumstances have disrupted you severely then it doesnt matter what background you come from economically etc.

ReputationRep:
    :|
    whaaaat, i got 8 not ten, infact only one of my friends got ten i think..
    churchil, fitz and a few others are actually famous for being like more laid back and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire_Emma)
    :|
    whaaaat, i got 8 not ten, infact only one of my friends got ten i think..
    churchil, fitz and a few others are actually famous for being like more laid back and stuff.
    Why did you stay at STRC for your A-levels? I know a fair few who stayed there for a couple of weeks, then decided that sixth form would suit them better.

(curiosity gets the better of me, sometimes :o: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomster)
    Why did you stay at STRC for your A-levels? I know a fair few who stayed there for a couple of weeks, then decided that sixth form would suit them better.

(curiosity gets the better of me, sometimes :o: )
    lol.. well i went to school in Rotherham and they didnt have a 6th form there so I had to go somewhere else and a college seemed like a refreshing change from school i guess. :P

ReputationRep:
    You would be eligible for CSAS (I have a friend with almost exactly the same circumstances as you). I'm confused - why did you only do 1 AS last year and the rest this year?

It was just something I read on there about how basically noone has been accepted without 10 A* in the last decade etc. It just seemed thoroughly intimidating.
    I believe that "policy" applies to Law only, since their Law DoS is very fussy about immaculate academic attainment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.