The Student Room Group

Recommend beginner hypertrophy Workout Program

Hi, I'm 18 and looking for a workout program for hypertrophy/decomposition. I have worked on n and off before but never really got anywhere as being young and living at home it was hard to control my diet, get to a decent gym in my area etc. Since moving out to uni I am looking to get back into it properly again. When I used to go to the gym I used strong lifts/blaha2. These where ok at getting you strong but found never really got you "big". Ideally I would like to train 3-5 times a week and workout can't go on too long as i have to fit in degree/societies. Used freshers and first week back to sort out my diets so I am consuming about 2600 of clean healthy carbs plus 150g of protein. At the moment I am just doing planks/glutes and stretching to sort out anterior pelvic tilt which is preventing me from doing deadlifts, however see myself being able to do them again in a few weeks time. thanks for anyone that helps!
Reply 1
How long were you previously going to the gym for? Stronglifts is definitely enough to get your your newbie gains while also learning the technique for the compound lifts. Also, depending on how active you are outside the gym, 2,600 kcals may not be enough, especially if you walk a lot or do other sports. Easiest way to tell is to track your weight over a period of time and see if it's going up or not. If it hasn't moved in a couple of weeks, add in an additional 200 - 300 kcals per day.

As for hypertrophy, I always found the boring but big template for 5/3/1 to work well for me. However, if you've been out of the gym for a while, I'd still recommend you run a linear progression program again such as stronglifts or starting strength until you stall, and then switch to hypertrophy focused training. This way you'll be able to use more weight for your rep work and get a better stimulus.

Definitely do reintroduce deadlifts when you can. Anterior pelvic tilt is caused by tight hip flexors, caused by a weak posterior chain, usually caused by generally being weak all over. Deadlifts will make your posterior chain strong and contribute towards the long term solution. To be honest, getting strong fixes a lot of musculoskeletal problems.
Original post by Kyri
How long were you previously going to the gym for? Stronglifts is definitely enough to get your your newbie gains while also learning the technique for the compound lifts. Also, depending on how active you are outside the gym, 2,600 kcals may not be enough, especially if you walk a lot or do other sports. Easiest way to tell is to track your weight over a period of time and see if it's going up or not. If it hasn't moved in a couple of weeks, add in an additional 200 - 300 kcals per day.

As for hypertrophy, I always found the boring but big template for 5/3/1 to work well for me. However, if you've been out of the gym for a while, I'd still recommend you run a linear progression program again such as stronglifts or starting strength until you stall, and then switch to hypertrophy focused training. This way you'll be able to use more weight for your rep work and get a better stimulus.

Definitely do reintroduce deadlifts when you can. Anterior pelvic tilt is caused by tight hip flexors, caused by a weak posterior chain, usually caused by generally being weak all over. Deadlifts will make your posterior chain strong and contribute towards the long term solution. To be honest, getting strong fixes a lot of musculoskeletal problems.

Yeah thanks, will run SL 5x5 then. What accessories would u recommend adding for hypertrophy? I definitely want to add face pulls to prevent shoulder injuries/improve stability from all the pressing but not sure what else to add without it being too detrimental to the foundations of the program.
Reply 3
Adding some facepulls is fine, but other than that and the other correctives you're already doing, I'd just do stronglifts. 5x5 in all lifts (except deadlifts which is 1x5) is enough volume for a beginner, or someone who's been out of the gym for a while. By the time you stall on that, that would be a good time to start adding accessories to something like a 5/3/1 template.

As for what accessories to do, it would matter more if your goal was strength, since there it would be better to pick ones most similar to the compound lifts. For hypertrophy, no single exercise is essential and it's totally up to you to do ones you like, but I'd just say to try and roughly balance out the amount you do for pushing, pulling and legs.

Quick Reply

Latest