Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Chinese government is sending a team of scientists to the top to resurvey the mountain after reports of the snow cap slowly melting due to climate change.
    Wow, this is really hitting home if it is found that Mount Everest is shrinking due to climate change. Guess we really have to do something if the effects start to appear everywhere more visibily around the world...

The Story

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it'll probably still be on the big side even without the extra metre or two.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably Mount Everest is shrinking due to erosion too?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Presumably Mount Everest is shrinking due to erosion too?
    India is still pushing it upwards too....just at a slightly slower rate than the erosion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    India is still pushing it upwards too....just at a slightly slower rate than the erosion
    Well their you go. I presume relaxation of the Tibetan Plateau probably has an effect too.

ReputationRep:
    *head hurts*

I'm confused...

ReputationRep:
    mt everest is in the himalayas.

the himalayas are a mountain range are on a constructive plate margin, ie 2 tectonic plates are smashing into each other and causing the crust to be forced upwards.

due to continual motion of the 2 tectonic plates together, mt everest will always continue to grow, but at a slow rate.

God, it's hardly an achievement to climb it now, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_B)
    due to continual motion of the 2 tectonic plates together, mt everest will always continue to grow, but at a slow rate.
    I thought the rate was less than that of erosion?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Well their you go. I presume relaxation of the Tibetan Plateau probably has an effect too.
    I think the article is trying to imply that the increase in melting has increased the rate of erosion....and they might be right - but there's no way to record the erosion rates at such a remote location over the last 100-200yrs *and* take into account the varying rates of uplift so the theory/implication is pretty unprovable IMO.

But yeah - everest (and the whole of the himalayas) has been eroding faster than it's been uplifted for a fair old while now....
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I thought the rate was less than that of erosion?
    "The uplift continues even today at a measurable 10 meters every hundred years. Mount Everest has itself risen 8.2 meters in the last 100 years."
    http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5112/bio.html

Not sure if that's excluding or including erosion...and given that noone has ever really agreed on how high the bloody thing is I don't know if I'd stake much on the accuracy of a change in hight of 0.1% over 100 yrs

ReputationRep:
    LOL i didnt see there was article, oops

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, there was a science documentary on not so long ago that said Britain had mountains taller than Mount Everest, millions of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    "The snow-covered mountain top is believed to have declined by 1.3 metres to 8,848 metres, according to state media reports"

Says it all really - who'd trust the Chinese state media?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Apparently, there was a science documentary on not so long ago that said Britain had mountains taller than Mount Everest, millions of years ago.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/rocks...indexfull.html

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.