The Student Room Group

Help! Is this a doomed mission?

A little bit ago I discovered I had a mega passion for astrophysics but even though I only need adv higher physics and maths to get a course, chemistry is incredibly useful. However I take Nat 5, Physics, CS and biology and am thinking of switching to chemistry, it’s 6 weeks in however and I know I’ll have a lot of catching up to do and I’m ready for that but what if this is impossible? People in my year talk about how hard they found chemistry so I’m worried.
Original post by RaptorGuy
A little bit ago I discovered I had a mega passion for astrophysics but even though I only need adv higher physics and maths to get a course, chemistry is incredibly useful. However I take Nat 5, Physics, CS and biology and am thinking of switching to chemistry, it’s 6 weeks in however and I know I’ll have a lot of catching up to do and I’m ready for that but what if this is impossible? People in my year talk about how hard they found chemistry so I’m worried.

honestly i’d say go for it if you think you’ll be up to catching up have a look at the content (look at the spec, your friends’ notes, chemistry websites, etc.) and see how you feel about it. i’m not terribly familiar with the Scottish system but i realised i hated how mundane A-level psychology was about 6 weeks in and ultimately decided to switch to Further Maths, even though it wasn’t necessary. FM is a lot of work and it’s hard, but i don’t regret switching at all! ultimately, follow your gut feeling.
Reply 2
Original post by nightingalegend
honestly i’d say go for it if you think you’ll be up to catching up have a look at the content (look at the spec, your friends’ notes, chemistry websites, etc.) and see how you feel about it. i’m not terribly familiar with the Scottish system but i realised i hated how mundane A-level psychology was about 6 weeks in and ultimately decided to switch to Further Maths, even though it wasn’t necessary. FM is a lot of work and it’s hard, but i don’t regret switching at all! ultimately, follow your gut feeling.

This is incredibly helpful!! I’m really hoping they’ll let me then, currently we have a 2 week oct holiday coming up so if I do get in im hoping to study then. I feel loads better now!
This is incredibly helpful!! I’m really hoping they’ll let me then, currently we have a 2 week oct holiday coming up so if I do get in im hoping to study then. I feel loads better now!

oh that’s great! i also switched right before the half-term and i just did lots if catching up so i was up to scratch by the time we started :smile:

best of luck, i hope they let you in!
Reply 4

I have it all sorted out! My physics and guidance teacher has suggested that I do Nat 5 Chemistry in S5 and Higher Chemistry in S6 Along with Physics and Maths Adv Higher. Now I’ll get to do a year of Nat 5 biology! And still have the chance at all the grades to do Astrophysics!!
Incase anyone is ever in a similar situation this is now what my subjects are planned to look like!

S4
Nat 5 - Maths
Nat 5 - Physics
Nat 5 - Computing Science
Nat 5 - Biology
Nat 5 - English
Nat 5 - Art and Design
Nat 5 - Graphic Communication

S5
Higher - Maths
Higher -Physics
Higher - Computing Science
Nat 5 - Chemistry
Higher - English

S6
Adv Higher - Maths
Adv Higher - Physics
Higher - Chemistry
I have it all sorted out! My physics and guidance teacher has suggested that I do Nat 5 Chemistry in S5 and Higher Chemistry in S6 Along with Physics and Maths Adv Higher. Now I’ll get to do a year of Nat 5 biology! And still have the chance at all the grades to do Astrophysics!!
Incase anyone is ever in a similar situation this is now what my subjects are planned to look like!

S4
Nat 5 - Maths
Nat 5 - Physics
Nat 5 - Computing Science
Nat 5 - Biology
Nat 5 - English
Nat 5 - Art and Design
Nat 5 - Graphic Communication

S5
Higher - Maths
Higher -Physics
Higher - Computing Science