The Student Room Group

Which college should I choose at Cambridge for natural science?

Hi, Which college should I choose at Cambridge for natural science? And which college is the easiest to enter?
In principle all colleges should be equivalently "difficult" to get an offer from - and Cambridge operates a pooling system to ensure that applicants who are interviewed at oversubscribed colleges will still be able to be made an offer if they are "Cambridge material" but the high number of applicants at the college they applied to prevents them getting an offer from then - instead they can be made an offer by another college.

A corollary of which is that most years about 20-25% (I think, the numbers may have changed somewhat in the last few years since I last heard them quoted) of applicants end up getting an offer from a different college. As such it's not worth getting too hung up on which college you apply to as you may well end up at another regardless!

Just look for one that you like the overall "feel" of and go with that one. No one outside of Cambridge cares what college you studied at, and even in Cambridge I doubt it makes much difference to others. It's really practical matters you should be considering - size, location, facilities, etc.
Original post by Seven Huang
Hi, Which college should I choose at Cambridge for natural science? And which college is the easiest to enter?

Downing, obviously. It has a gate onto the Downing Site and is across the road for New Museums.
Original post by Reality Check
Downing, obviously. It has a gate onto the Downing Site and is across the road for New Museums.

But Selwyn has 4 gates, one on each side, surely that's easier to enter?
:biggrin:
What's important to you? % of people getting firsts, location, number of other NatSci students, formals...?
Original post by cactus11235813
What's important to you? % of people getting firsts, location, number of other NatSci students, formals...?

Meanly because of % of people getting first, and then it's the quality of accommodation etc.
Reply 7
What A levels are you doing right now?
Original post by ayaan28
What A levels are you doing right now?

biology, chemistry and mathematics
Meanly because of % of people getting first, and then it's the quality of accommodation etc.

Here's the (unofficial!) Tompkins table: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tompkins_Table

The most academic colleges by % of people getting firsts are Christ's, Trinity, St Catz, Jesus, Pembroke, St John's, and Gonville & Caius. They're all lovely buildings, very pretty, and traditional Cambridge! Avoid Trinity - it's oversubscribed.

Also, Churchill has lots of STEM students/NatScis, but it's a newer college.

Most NatSci teaching (e.g. lectures) is done centrally/by the university departments, and then your supervisions (small group teaching) are done by the college. If you've heard of Isaac Physics, the founder (who is absolutely lovely!!) is a DoS at Churchill.

Just check the websites for a few and see what you think, or go to Cambridge and have a walk around!

Heya!
I would recommend noting down some colleges you want to apply to (make a list) and compare them side by side. You can find all the information about them online. If you need help with choosing a college then I would recommend using the free comparison tool to compare different Cambridge colleges in detail :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind

Quick Reply

Latest