The Student Room Group

What might of happened?

I've made a few chats about this already but not in any details so I'm sorry if the same people see this and it's repetitive I just want to be sure. If a guy strokes my leg up and down and squeezes my thighs without consent and is quite firm with me with like hugging and stuff e.g not letting me move away is this assault ? After I kept trying to move away he tried to get me to drink alcohol quite persistently ..... I'm worried as to what his intentions were by doing this. My friends are still very close friends with him. He dosent have remorse. What do I do?
just keep away from him. it does not matter what your friends think of this creep.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I've made a few chats about this already but not in any details so I'm sorry if the same people see this and it's repetitive I just want to be sure. If a guy strokes my leg up and down and squeezes my thighs without consent and is quite firm with me with like hugging and stuff e.g not letting me move away is this assault ? After I kept trying to move away he tried to get me to drink alcohol quite persistently ..... I'm worried as to what his intentions were by doing this. My friends are still very close friends with him. He dosent have remorse. What do I do?

At the very least you should talk about it with your friends and report his behaviour to your uni if he's a student there. Tried to put information relevant to your post in bold but it's probably useful to read it all.

The Equality Act 2010 says someone sexually harasses another person if they:

Engage in unwanted conduct of a sexual nature and
The conduct has the purpose or effect of either violating the other person’s dignity or creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for them.
This unwanted sexual conduct can happen in person, on the phone, by text or email, or online. Both the harasser and the victim or survivor can be of any gender.

Sexual harassment includes a really wide range of behaviours, such as:

Sexual comments or noises for example, catcalling or wolf-whistling.
Sexual gestures.
Leering, staring or suggestive looks. This can include looking someone up and down.
Sexual ‘jokes’.
Sexual innuendos or suggestive comments.
Unwanted sexual advances or flirting.
Sexual requests or asking for sexual favours.
Sending emails or texts with sexual content for example, unwanted ‘sexts’ or ‘dick pics’.
Sexual posts or contact on social media.
Intrusive questions about a person’s private or sex life.
Someone discussing their own sex life.
Commenting on someone's body, appearance or what they’re wearing.
Spreading sexual rumours.
Standing close to someone.
Displaying images of a sexual nature.
Unwanted physical contact of a sexual nature for example, brushing up against someone or hugging, kissing or massaging them.
Stalking.
Indecent exposure.
Taking a photo or video under another person's clothing what is known as 'upskirting'.
Sexual harassment is a form of unlawful discrimination under the Equality Act 2010.

This means that people are legally protected from sexual harassment in certain places for example, at work, on transport and at schools, colleges and universities.

Some important things to know about sexual harassment and the law:

It is the person receiving the sexual behaviour who decides if it’s unwanted NOT the person doing the behaviour.
It doesn’t matter if other people think the unwanted sexual behaviour is okay. Or if it’s common in the place it’s happened in.
It can be a one-off incident or repeated.
Just because certain sexual behaviour was welcomed or not objected to in the past doesn’t mean that it can’t become unwanted. Or that other sexual behaviour is wanted.

When sexual harassment is a crime Some forms of sexual harassment automatically break criminal law in England and Wales, and are therefore crimes. These include:

stalking
indecent exposure
‘upskirting’
any sexual harassment involving physical contact (this amounts to sexual assault in English and Welsh law)
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

Sorry this has happened to you.

What you are describing is sexual assault.

What is sexual assault?

If someone intentionally grabs or touches you in a sexual way that you don’t like, or you’re forced to kiss someone or do something else sexual against your will, that’s sexual assault.

This includes sexual touching of any part of someone’s body, and it makes no difference whether you’re wearing clothes or not.

Please do reach out to Victim Support who are able to support with this.

Look after yourself.

Best wishes,
TSR Support

Quick Reply

Latest