The Student Room Group

2023 Applications (Applied Science BTEC)

Hi guys the degrees I have chosen and applied for are for the sole purpose of eventually doing graduate dentistry however I have picked 2 pharmacy courses which I won’t mind choosing as a career over dentistry

Stats:
GCSE: 8776655
Applied Science (Ext diploma) Predicted D* D* D*
Choices:
Sport and exercise Medical science (KcL)
Applied medical science (UcL)
Biomedical science (Surrey)
Mpharm (Foundation) Kingston
Mpharm (foundation) Reading

I would like to go to Kcl if I did get an offer for that course however I am worried that in the future graduate dentistry schemes won’t accept me due to the degree title. I have checked and it appears that I can select almost pure cell biology/ biochemistry as opposed to participating in all sport based modules.
Thoughts??
Original post by Stonecone
Hi guys the degrees I have chosen and applied for are for the sole purpose of eventually doing graduate dentistry however I have picked 2 pharmacy courses which I won’t mind choosing as a career over dentistry

Stats:
GCSE: 8776655
Applied Science (Ext diploma) Predicted D* D* D*
Choices:
Sport and exercise Medical science (KcL)
Applied medical science (UcL)
Biomedical science (Surrey)
Mpharm (Foundation) Kingston
Mpharm (foundation) Reading

I would like to go to Kcl if I did get an offer for that course however I am worried that in the future graduate dentistry schemes won’t accept me due to the degree title. I have checked and it appears that I can select almost pure cell biology/ biochemistry as opposed to participating in all sport based modules.
Thoughts??

Have you checked whether KCL and UCL will accept BTECS. A couple of London universities dont. Also check whether universities will accept you for Dentistry without A levels. I know many medical schools require A levels not BTECs and I suspect the same will apply for Dentistry..

I would avoid the Sport based modules but you really need to be raising these issues with the universities you are interested in taking the graduate dentistry course as they will have more knowledge.

If you are taking a foundation course usually you will need to take your degree. Universities do not normally accept anothers foundation students.
Reply 2
The courses I have applied to all do accept BtEcs also in terms of grad dentistry I know a a lot of them which don’t look at a levels or will accept equivalent qualifications
Original post by swanseajack1
Have you checked whether KCL and UCL will accept BTECS. A couple of London universities dont. Also check whether universities will accept you for Dentistry without A levels. I know many medical schools require A levels not BTECs and I suspect the same will apply for Dentistry..

I would avoid the Sport based modules but you really need to be raising these issues with the universities you are interested in taking the graduate dentistry course as they will have more knowledge.

If you are taking a foundation course usually you will need to take your degree. Universities do not normally accept anothers foundation students.
Reply 3
Hi, u don’t have to do a foundation year for Mpharm at reading
Hi, does anyone know what's gonna come up on Tuesday for biology unit 1 and is everyone doing it at 1 o'clock?

Quick Reply

Latest