The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

I don't know why I am living in a constant state of terror

Even though I have clearly received an email saying that “Matriculation Complete: XXXXXXXXX” and “...you have completed the registration process and are now matriculated for the 2022/3 academic session.”, for unknown reasons, I am still thinking that there are something I haven't completed yet.

The same happened last year and I literally freaked myself out for 2 months into the semester.I know the fear is clearly baseless, but I don't know why I am worrying and worrying. Does anyone have the same stuff as me?
I think this is quite common actually. I call them anxiety spikes. If you're susceptible to them, they can happen over anything, even tiny relatively unimportant things. There is usually a strong physical reaction (racing heart, prickly forehead, shallow breathing) which can take a while to subside.
A very good technique for this is to keep a notebook where you log each time this happens. When the "issue" is resolved or has progressed to something else, you add a note to end of the relevant entry. Then from time to time you look back over them and (hopefully) note that the terrible things you were worried about usually / always didn't come to pass, or that you simply stopped thinking about it.
CBT is very good for this kind of mental health issue, so if you find it getting out of hand (like it did last year), then that's something to look into.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Anonymous
Even though I have clearly received an email saying that “Matriculation Complete: XXXXXXXXX” and “...you have completed the registration process and are now matriculated for the 2022/3 academic session.”, for unknown reasons, I am still thinking that there are something I haven't completed yet.

The same happened last year and I literally freaked myself out for 2 months into the semester.I know the fear is clearly baseless, but I don't know why I am worrying and worrying. Does anyone have the same stuff as me?

I think the uni would've contacted you by now if you hadn't matriculated - no need to worry:smile:
Original post by _Rusty_
I think the uni would've contacted you by now if you hadn't matriculated - no need to worry:smile:

It is really scary, it feels as if I am going to die
I am referring to the terror of having to constantly worry about something that would not happen
Maybe seek help for anxiety. If you are at least 2nd year presumably last year it was unfounded.
Maybe seek help for anxiety. If you are at least 2nd year presumably last year it was unfounded.

I will be gone next year this is my last year
And I am in PGR program rather than UG program I am older than most lads here
It's still a year, so maybe see if you can get some help.
And I am in PGR program rather than UG program I am older than most lads here
It's still a year, so maybe see if you can get some help.

Yes, I would see. The world is like collapsing on me though.
Are you the person who posted here last year about this? They were advised to get help too. Depression is a terrible thing but can be helped:smile:
Are you the person who posted here last year about this? They were advised to get help too. Depression is a terrible thing but can be helped:smile:

I don't know why I have ended up in this
How you ended up here is one question, what to do about being here is quite another.
If you want to find out about how/why you ended up here, you probably need to undertake some heavy-duty psychotherapy, which will explore your childhood, family dynamics and any past traumatic experience. This is a significant undertaking which requires a major time/money commitment.
If, instead, you focus on things you can do now to try and alleviate the situation then things are a bit more straightforward. A short course of CBT would be a good start but there are also lots of useful resources online to get you through day to day.
This short video demonstrates the sorts of techniques that can be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuEHIDNykfU

Quick Reply

Latest