The Student Room Group

Good universities for Psychology?

Hey, I'm in the process of building my UCAS application and wanted to know if there's any universities people have had better or worse experiences at - basically which ones I should avoid and which are more favourable to apply for.

My predicted grades are currently BBB (in talks to see if I can raise it to ABB-AAB) and so far I've been interested in applying to Surrey, Portsmouth, Keele, Brighton, and maybe Cardiff? But might swap it out for South Wales if I can't raise my predicted grades.

I was also looking into Bath since I've visited the city before and really enjoyed the place, but their entry requirements are A*AA at a minimum, so if I were to apply I'd plan to take a gap year and then apply with my actual achieved grades, this is of course in the case that I achieve higher than BBB, otherwise I'm gonna leave Bath be.

Are these decent schools for psychology? Anyone had bad experiences with them and know what the overall student satisfaction is like?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Which schools are good are very subjective and as your grades are lower most top universities wont be included. You will find wherever you go some students will be happy and others not. Student satisfaction rates are a poor way of deciding on a university. A few disgruntled students who perhaps didnt get the grades they wanted might mark the university down. The effect this has especially on subject rankings can be disproportionate. The complete university guide might be useful. It has a subject table and you can filter on student satisfaction to get the ratings but please treat carefully for the reasons already given.
If you are looking at student satisfaction you could look at Aberystwyth. It consistently has one of the best satisfaction rates in the UK although it is miles from anywhere. Have you looked into Bath Spa. In terms of other universities offering around your grades Swansea, Reading, Royal Holloway, Kent and Sussex might be worth investigating.
Your predicted grades are fine ( not everyone can get straight A*s) so be proud of where you are.

In terms of uni selection, I would ask where you see yourself after you have completed your degree. So many students go into psychology and have no career path which means they struggle to work out what to do afterwards and most I know then default into teaching, in which case the uni has little impact.

Look at the modules. Look at the assessments - do you prefer exam or coursework? Look to see what opportunities are provided (eg work experience). Then look at the city and uni - would you be happy there for three years? To my mind all this is far more important that the uni ‘ranking’.
Original post by quartz_quadrant

I was also looking into Bath .... but their entry requirements are A*AA at a minimum,

Bath is off-the-scale competitive for Psych.
Unless you have the entry requirements you are unlikely to get an offer and even then its not guaranteed.

Sussex - worth applying even with BBB - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/psychology-bsc
Plymouth would also be a good choice - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bsc-psychology
Original post by quartz_quadrant
Hey, I'm in the process of building my UCAS application and wanted to know if there's any universities people have had better or worse experiences at - basically which ones I should avoid and which are more favourable to apply for.

My predicted grades are currently BBB (in talks to see if I can raise it to ABB-AAB) and so far I've been interested in applying to Surrey, Portsmouth, Keele, Brighton, and maybe Cardiff? But might swap it out for South Wales if I can't raise my predicted grades.

I was also looking into Bath since I've visited the city before and really enjoyed the place, but their entry requirements are A*AA at a minimum, so if I were to apply I'd plan to take a gap year and then apply with my actual achieved grades, this is of course in the case that I achieve higher than BBB, otherwise I'm gonna leave Bath be.

Are these decent schools for psychology? Anyone had bad experiences with them and know what the overall student satisfaction is like?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:

Hi there!

Congratulations on getting so far with your studies. I don't know if you have looked at University of Kent which is so popular with Psychology students. The requirements to enter this grade are still AAB-ABB, so hopefully you get the grades you need as you are very close! The Canterbury campus has great study facilities and laboratories for you to do your research and assignments, and the course comes with the option of doing a year abroad. The university is extremely supportive as well: you will have academic and career advisors that will help you in journey throughout university. This the link to the website so you can see the accreditations, modules, career prospects etc: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/49/psychology

Student experience, as you can imagine, can be quite subjective but here is a student profile you may want to look at to see what you could expect: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/profiles/undergraduate/psychology-gam; but nothing is better than a first-hand experience, so you can book your spot for an open day here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days. If you can't attend in person, there is an option for you to attend online. This would be the best way for you to get a real sense of what studying at Kent would look like :smile:

I hope this helps and best of luck with your studies!

Tracy
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest