Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about changing my Manchester course to Politics single honours, but that makes my offer AAB. I need to tell them before January 15th, I e-mailed them to ask.

The only thing is, I am deciding between Manchester and Bristol, and one of the reasons I prefer Manchester is because I think I am more likely to actually get those grades, alongside preferring the city. One of the reasons I am put off Manchester though, is that I no longer want to study Sociology.

I want to wait and see how my January modules go before predicting whether I will get AAB or ABB.

Aghh I don't know whether to just leave things how they are, and then if I do pick Manchester, to beg them to let me change it in September. Do you think it is likely they will let me??

I'm so confused

ReputationRep:
    Usually most universities give you a chance to change your course in the first week or so. So you should be okay if you leave it as it is now.

ReputationRep:
    Don't change your course for the sake of the city - whichever uni you go to you're sure to have a fantastic time, but ultimately you will need to be interested in what you're studying, that's the main reason you're there! So I'd definitely change to do the course you WANT to do.

I would go for Politics. Even if it's a harder course, and you're not sure if you're going to get the grades, imagine how annoyed you'd feel if you totally aced the January modules and chose a course with lower grades? Plus, even if you didn't there's still a chance they'll let you in with a slightly lower grade than you were asked for. I would ask your teacher to give you a realistic opinion of what you can achieve.

As for whether Manchester will let you change course in September, it's certainly a possibility as quite a few people drop out of uni in the first few weeks/months. However if it's a particularly oversubscribed course then you might not be able to get a place, and this is three years of your life you're giving up to study a subject, so I'd go for Politics now if I were you. Aim high and go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    Don't change your course for the sake of the city - whichever uni you go to you're sure to have a fantastic time, but ultimately you will need to be interested in what you're studying, that's the main reason you're there! So I'd definitely change to do the course you WANT to do.

I would go for Politics. Even if it's a harder course, and you're not sure if you're going to get the grades, imagine how annoyed you'd feel if you totally aced the January modules and chose a course with lower grades? Plus, even if you didn't there's still a chance they'll let you in with a slightly lower grade than you were asked for. I would ask your teacher to give you a realistic opinion of what you can achieve.

As for whether Manchester will let you change course in September, it's certainly a possibility as quite a few people drop out of uni in the first few weeks/months. However if it's a particularly oversubscribed course then you might not be able to get a place, and this is three years of your life you're giving up to study a subject, so I'd go for Politics now if I were you. Aim high and go for it!
    Well the course at Manchester that I currently have an offer for is joint honours politics and sociology, so surely there will be a place for me in politics lectures and lessons in september anyway, so changing shouldn't be too difficult?

My teachers will all say I can definitely get AAB, as in politics and sociology I got 44 and 37 marks over an A. I am just worried as I know people whose grades have gone down, especially in politics, in the second year.

When you accept/reject your offers, if you accept one and miss the grade, is your only other choice to go through clearing??

Thanks for helping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaimzx)
    Well the course at Manchester that I currently have an offer for is joint honours politics and sociology, so surely there will be a place for me in politics lectures and lessons in september anyway, so changing shouldn't be too difficult?

My teachers will all say I can definitely get AAB, as in politics and sociology I got 44 and 37 marks over an A. I am just worried as I know people whose grades have gone down, especially in politics, in the second year.

When you accept/reject your offers, if you accept one and miss the grade, is your only other choice to go through clearing??

Thanks for helping.
    It depends. What are your firm and insurance choices?

One of four things can happen:

a) You miss your firm choice grade but they let you in anyway.
    b) You miss your firm choice grade and they offer another similar course, perhaps less over-subscribed to you at the same university.
    c) You miss your firm choice grade and they have to reject you, which means you'll automatically have to accept the insurance choice.
    d) You miss your firm and insurance choice, in which case you'll have to either go through clearing or reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    It depends. What are your firm and insurance choices?

One of four things can happen:

a) You miss your firm choice grade but they let you in anyway.
    b) You miss your firm choice grade and they offer another similar course, perhaps less over-subscribed to you at the same university.
    c) You miss your firm choice grade and they have to reject you, which means you'll automatically have to accept the insurance choice.
    d) You miss your firm and insurance choice, in which case you'll have to either go through clearing or reapply next year.
    I suck. I didn't even know you had a firm AND insurance choice. Bah I should start going into college and listening more :rolleyes:

My insurance choice will probably be Leeds as I think they will offer BBB. That is, if I get an offer. If not it will be Cardiff/Newcastle. I think they are all BBB offers...

Anyhow, I'm knackered and off to bed.

Thank you very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaimzx)
    I suck. I didn't even know you had a firm AND insurance choice. Bah I should start going into college and listening more :rolleyes:

My insurance choice will probably be Leeds as I think they will offer BBB. That is, if I get an offer. If not it will be Cardiff/Newcastle. I think they are all BBB offers...

Anyhow, I'm knackered and off to bed.

Thank you very much for your help
    Haha! Of course, you didn't think that one choice of uni was the be-all and end-all eh?

Woop, Leeds! I'm there right now. Excellent uni, I do hope you choose it as your insurance No problem and good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.