Turn on thread page Beta

Meals you can make loads of but eat in single portions? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I've been doing a bit more cooking at uni lately and I would like to get a bit more adventurous. However, I'm not sure what I can make that will serve one person on many occasions, but also not go off for quite a while.

Example: At home I can make Spaghetti Bologanse(sp?) in a quantity of 10. I can then split the sauce into two, serve one lot of 5 to my family and freeze the other one in an ice cream tub (or whatever).

But at university, I'd have to serve one portion, then freeze the other 9 separately so that I can avoid thawing and refreezing meat, which is pretty unrealistic.

I really want to get into cooking proper meals, any ideas? Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    You could just use freezerbags to freeze each portion separately, rather than freezing it all in one tub.

You could try doing pizzas - I make my own pizza bases and I've been looking at how to freeze them (you can guarantee the day you really want a pizza is the day you can't be arsed to make the dough!). I think you may have to part-bake them, then stick them in the freezer. If you want to be uber-prepared, you could make up your sauce (I just use tomato puree mixed with olive oil and some spicy seasoning) and pop that in freezerbags too, so all you have to do is defrost everything and add your toppings.

Soup is another one that you can make a big batch of. To be fair though, I find freezing food really impairs the quality of it - so although it's a time-saver, you'll probably enjoy your food far more if you only batch-cook enough to see you through that day and the next so you can just refrigerate it. Things never taste very nice when they've been frozen, and you're more likely to forget about them and leave them in there.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do lasagne

ReputationRep:
    i put mine into freezer bags, or foil tins like the take away ones you can by at super markets, i have vegetable lasanges and cottage pies and my friend has a stash of stew
    x

ReputationRep:
    You can do things like Chili Con Carne and curry too. As well as bolognese, thats what I freeze in portions. They're the only kind of things I cook from scratch atm - the only other thing I do is grill fish or chicken and have it with veg or chips and salad.

ReputationRep:
    I spent a whole day cooking a few weeks ago and made loads of meals that I froze into individual portions
    I made pasta bake, chilli con carne, sausage casserole, chicken tikka, chicken and butter bean casserole and tarragon chicken.

ReputationRep:
    mashed potatoe

ReputationRep:
    You could always not cook quite such huge amounts.

If you make, say, 4 portions of something, then you could eat 1/4, eat another 1/4 the next day, freeze half, then eat half of that on the day you defrost it, and half the next day.

I don't have a freezer this year, and I'm actually coping alright. I've been eating quiche, lasagne, curry, bolognese, ratatouille... Normally I make enough for 2 or 4 meals.

Or, find people to share your food with at uni. Until this year (I'm on my year abroad and only have 1 flatmate, who's vegetarian) I've barely cooked for one at uni. I cooked just for myself in the first week of halls, and then we started to establish a cooking rota, so I only cooked once or twice a week for the whole of first and second year.

ReputationRep:
    When my cousin was at uni, she used to make dumplins every weekend (usually on a sunday) and puts quantities of them (about 15) in lunchboxes, plastic containers for the next week (most of the time for as dinner).
    Sometimes she cooks pasta like that too. ^^

I would recommend cooking everything from scratch though, taste a lot better. ^^ Obviously cooking in small quantities is the key but also, combine different thigns (eg. bread, pasta, rice) together too (lol, not cooking together o course!).XD What I mean is, cook a small quantity of pasta if you need to and eat bread if you're hungry. XD

...and if you still can't cook small portions, kncok on other student's doors and give them away (or feed pets? XD)! XD

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.