The Student Room Group

What are your rules on Travel?

for example no leaving the country

Scroll to see replies

none pretty much other than don't fly with united airlines (for me) and another air company who i shall not name.
Original post by Talkative Toad
none pretty much other than don't fly with united airlines (for me) and another air company who i shall not name.

Delta? :tongue:
Original post by artful_lounger
Delta? :tongue:

I mean based on the Youtube videos on the company, not too sure about that either. Definitely no to united and the other company as my rule though other than that, not to fussy about travel.
The countries I travel to must respect the rule of law, democracy and freedom of speech.
Trains are prefered over planes.

Original post by Talkative Toad

What's wrong with United? You can get dragged off the plane for free!
(edited 1 year ago)
Must be one of the handful of countries I want to go to. Don't really have enough money and time for the rest.
Original post by hungrysalamander
The countries I travel to must respect the rule of law, democracy and freedom of speech.

What's wrong with United? You can get dragged off the plane for free!

and have your dog put in the overhead bins :giggle: , honestly though that company is awful, based on YT vids wouldn't want to risk flying with them.
Be very wary of all countries/states/cities where brothels or for profit cannabis farms are legal.
Never fly via AA, BA, Emirates, Iberia, Ryanair or any long haul flights.
Avoid travelling to all high tax, unstable, theocratic or extremely authoritarian nations.
Don't go to countries where abortion is prohibited by law or requires the permission of a male spouse.
Avoid all countries where it is illegal/cause of employer discliplinary action to: have a tattoo of any person/animal/flower/place, not vote, indulge in extra-marital relationships, consume alcohol in restaurants/private premises/hotel rooms, avoid all interaction with another adult for any reason or refuse to give any financial help to elderly relatives/provide medical assistance for random strangers.
Stick to nations where the majority of the population are english speaking and atheist, agnostic or christian.
Don't travel by boat for longer than 4hrs.
Reply 8
Pack minimally when it comes to clothing because I will shop there a ton.
My rule is going to countries in which I am capable of speaking with people. As a rule countries with German and English as mother tongue.
Not “rules” as such, but I tend to stay in Europe - I’ve been to 29 countries, only one of which can be considered “not at all in Europe”.
Original post by rockrunride
Not “rules” as such, but I tend to stay in Europe (...)

Same here: shorter distance to the destinations and thus easier to arrive by train or plane. That is saving my nerves.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by londonmyst
Be very wary of all countries/states/cities where brothels or for profit cannabis farms are legal.
Never fly via AA, BA, Emirates, Iberia, Ryanair or any long haul flights.
Avoid travelling to all high tax, unstable, theocratic or extremely authoritarian nations.
Don't go to countries where abortion is prohibited by law or requires the permission of a male spouse.
Avoid all countries where it is illegal/cause of employer discliplinary action to: have a tattoo of any person/animal/flower/place, not vote, indulge in extra-marital relationships, consume alcohol in restaurants/private premises/hotel rooms, avoid all interaction with another adult for any reason or refuse to give any financial help to elderly relatives/provide medical assistance for random strangers.
Stick to nations where the majority of the population are english speaking and atheist, agnostic or christian.
Don't travel by boat for longer than 4hrs.

What's wrong with Emirates? I thought it was good?
Original post by Ximim
Check reviews on the internet before booking flights or hotel.

I would be sceptical, if I were you. The ratings and reviews could be faked or fictious. Read here!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Idk131
What's wrong with Emirates? I thought it was good?

It's just as lousy as BA and allows aggressive animals like cats or birds of prey to be checked in as cargo baggage. :stupid:
Original post by londonmyst
It's just as lousy as BA and allows aggressive animals like cats or birds of prey to be checked in as cargo baggage. :stupid:

Omg that's crazy, I had no idea!
Go exploring rather than just staying in some crummy All-Inclusive that serves sausage and egg and is full of drunk Brits. Could just go to Skegness or Butlins etc if I want that.

Always try and use the local vernacular if it isnt English. Easier to do for me when Im in Germany obviously but when Ive been in france or Spain, Ive given it a go

If you can, fly Business or First class on long haul flights.

Avoid tourist spots.
Original post by Jack22031994
(...)

If you can, fly Business or First class on long haul flights.

Avoid tourist spots.

You make me curious:

1.) What is a long haul flight for you in hours?
2.) What tourist spots for instance?
Original post by Kallisto
You make me curious:

1.) What is a long haul flight for you in hours?
2.) What tourist spots for instance?

1) probably anything over 4 hours
2) None in particular - just like off the beacon track stuff more I think 🤣
Reply 19
Avoid American and British (well, tbh, anything other than Arab or Asian) airlines.
Try and get a flight that minimizes jet lag
chose a good layover destination with a midlength time (e.g. 4-5 hours in Changi)
For the love of god, always dress to be as comfy as possible, 24+ hours is a long time and jeans/boots suck on that
Books, personal media, earphones for amusement - the airlines vary wildly and some of them are crap
travel light and backpacks ftw

Cheap and cheerful is my one main rule though.

Quick Reply

Latest