The Student Room Group

What university are in my range

These are my GCSE results. Math - 8 combined science: 8-7. History and Design Technology: 6. Business: 5. English lit: 4. French: 3. And English lit which I had to re-sit since I got a 3, ended up with a 5.
I do math, further math and physics and im predicted around A*/A and A, A. For my a levels. Let's say my PS is around average or a bit above. Does anyone know any university that I have a chance to get in despite my GCSE being all over the place? I want to do engineering/math/computer science related degree at uni. So universities that are good in those subjects. Thanks in advance.
Original post by Rainyzack
These are my GCSE results. Math - 8 combined science: 8-7. History and Design Technology: 6. Business: 5. English lit: 4. French: 3. And English lit which I had to re-sit since I got a 3, ended up with a 5.
I do math, further math and physics and im predicted around A*/A and A, A. For my a levels. Let's say my PS is around average or a bit above. Does anyone know any university that I have a chance to get in despite my GCSE being all over the place? I want to do engineering/math/computer science related degree at uni. So universities that are good in those subjects. Thanks in advance.

One grade which you don't mention (which is extremely important) is your GCSE English Language. (You do mention English Lit twice though!)

Assuming the 5 is actually English Language, then the only university which would be obviously out of reach would be Oxford.

Some individual courses may demand higher than a 5 in English Language - but probably not "engineering/math/computer science related" courses.

Most universities care much more about A level grades than GCSE grades. As you're predicted A*/A for those, you shouldn't have much of an issue.

Pick some universities and browse their web sites to see if you can see any interesting courses. Then look at what they say about expectations for GCSEs. You'll be surprised at how few mention anything beyond Maths and English.
Look at the subjects available at different Unis and read the course descriptions for the subjects that interestt you - not just the same subjects you are doing for A levels. Look at Unis like Southampton, Bath, Birmingham, Leeds etc.
You choice of degree subject being “all over the place” is more of an issue than your GCSE grades.

If you’re not sure what to study at university then get researching. You can always take a gap year. Yini has some amazing paid placements that will not only help with university applications, studies and employment but will help you narrow down your options.

Your GCSEs wont be a problem nearly anywhere. Most look at 5 GCSEs at 4 and above including English Language and Maths and may look for a higher grade in Maths. You meet these conditions so should have a problem. Possibly stay away from Oxford, Imperial and Durham. Elsewhere your GCSE grades shouldnt be a problem.

What you do need to do is to decide on a course and apply. It might be useful to go to a couple of open days and go to subject talks.

Have a look on here for suitable ones.
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=d94e6537f1f69c37JmltdHM9MTY2NDU4MjQwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTE3OA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=opendays.com&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cub3BlbmRheXMuY29tLw&ntb=1

Hi there,

There are definitely options out there for you, and plenty of them! At Aberystwyth we offer a wide range of subjects around Maths and Computer Science, have a look at the courses here:
https://courses.aber.ac.uk/subjects/undergraduate#computer-science
https://courses.aber.ac.uk/subjects/undergraduate#mathematics

Many of these courses only require a grade 4 in Maths/English so they would definitely be suitable for you.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help :smile:
Anna

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending