Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to know how everyone's portfolio is structured/what they're planning to include in it Don't know if this thread has already been made :no:

I'll start it off [this thread will probably die soon lol]

Name: Dieulay
    Portfolio:
    Sketches - Portraits, Landscapes etc
    Paintings - Watercolours mostly, maybe some surrealist oil painting etc?
    Maybe some collages and photomontages? :rolleyes:
    Hopefully a scale model of something!!

...and that is going to be my portfolio, roughly. Mostly sketches, though.

ReputationRep:
    Just a suggestion but it would make this more intresting if everyone posted some real image examples of their work from their folios rather than just saying 'paintings', 'sketches', because I think thats the same for just about everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I would post mine, but i have no idea how to put them on here?

ReputationRep:
    well umm best thing to do, open a flickr, or a photobucket , you could then post a link to your flickr or photobucket account. (youll have to scan or photograph them first).

Or to link them into the thread by using the little square yellow and grey icon

[IMG]http://yourimagelocationhere[/IMG)

hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    what is a portfolio
    it sounds stupid, but i really dont know how to produce one

is it works mounted on black cardboards?
    or just stick them in a sketch book?

ReputationRep:
    As much as I would love to share my works...some universities ask for digital copies. I wouldn't want people to claim my work for themselves! haha.

Besides that, I have a range of works in my portfolio. I have a range of A1 and A2 size acrylic and oil paintings, some watercolours, life drawing, models and scale models, two boring sketchbooks and drawings, plus a photographic montage I did for Sheffield.

I will include my developmental and preparation work from past projects in my Cambridge portfolio, as well as mounting some progression photographs from my recent scale model.

Hope that helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dschna)
    As much as I would love to share my works...some universities ask for digital copies. I wouldn't want people to claim my work for themselves! haha.
    Your a first year architecture student already. haha

ReputationRep:
    Where on Earth did you get that idea?! haha....unless you cannot see my sig...

ReputationRep:
    ^He didn't mean it in the factual sense... he probably said it because people in their first year of their architecture course get very protective of their work and suspicious of others as there's a lot of competition floating about and because they don't know everyone very well to start with...

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I see. I see. Ooops sorry ArchiBoi! I simply took the literal meaning. I'm only protective as I don't want to collared for plagiarism in my portfolio! Don't really want to jeopardize my university chances! Maybe, just maybe, my work will get published once I get decisions from all of my universities. ;P

ReputationRep:
    http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr9/scraceus999/

right well here is mine so far. Be warned that if anyone tries to steal my work they WILL be found out, as i can easily prove it is mine.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh.
    Need to start putting together a portfolio.
    Little bit worried that i havent done it yet.
    I guess i can use work from my art projects for this right?
    I just dont no.
    How much work do you need in a portfolio?
    and how do you present it?
    in a folder or sketch book?
    dilema.
    help anyone!

ReputationRep:
    just set it out however you want... they'll commend you for it (unless they've specified a format themselves obviously lol)

ReputationRep:
    would people reccomend scanning stuff in and then making the pages on photoshop? just to clean it all up a bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketTown)
    just set it out however you want... they'll commend you for it (unless they've specified a format themselves obviously lol)
    was told that there's portfolio for sale in art supply shops
    (a big folder with rings and plastic sleeves)
    is that what unis are looking for?

ReputationRep:
    thats a portfolio case yeah... i used an A1 size one for my interview. But you can set it out in a whole manner of different ways. A portfolio is your best work, and thats it. So you can set it out how ever you want. You can go simple, or try something different its up to you (might work, might fail).

just pick you best work.... set it out in a way you're comfortable with (in a way you can talk about it concisely) and then thats it.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo have to get myself one of those folders.

ReputationRep:
    Scraceus999, I like your portfolio, it's lookin' goooood!
    dschna, thanks for the tips on the other thread, much appreciated! But my cruddy college has cruddy supplies. I'm thinking of making a makeshift model of the Swiss Re Tower out of pipe cleaners and cling film :P

Got lots o' work to do on my portfolio, and i still ain't too sure what to include, DILEMMA

ReputationRep:
    No problem dieulay, willing to help...give pointers...but not showing anything! haha

Oh, ol' Norman Foster eh? Personally, I wouldn't take that approach...I'd make a complete mess of it. I'd probably construct the triangular (diagrid?) structure from card and purchase some thin perspex or something similar. Now, if done correctly would look cooooooooooooooooooool!

ReputationRep:
    i know you guys are joking about making st. mary's ax building as a maquette, but in case anyone reading hasn't picked up on the humour - don't make a model of an existing building for a portfolio submission.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.