Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scraceus999)
    you dont do art A Level and you applied to UCL?!! they REQUIRE it for consideration onto the course though!
    they didn't require it when i applied :confused: unless things have changed in three years :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I applied to UCL and don't do Alevel Art.

ReputationRep:
    thats so wierd i swear it is a requirement

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/...re/index.shtml

"ABB to include A Level art or equivelant" LOOOOOOOK!

ReputationRep:
    or EQUIVALENT!
    Meaning an art/design subject like Graphic Design / photography/ etc
    I do graphic design...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Je3y)
    or EQUIVALENT!
    Meaning an art/design subject like Graphic Design / photography/ etc
    I do graphic design...
    oh ok then....i didnt think they were the equivelant....isnt that why sheffield asks for a portfolio unless you have done fine art specifically? I mean you can pass photography with a good grade without having to be able to draw anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scraceus999)
    thats so wierd i swear it is a requirement

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/...re/index.shtml

"ABB to include A Level art or equivelant" LOOOOOOOK!
    Um, yeah, sorry to butt in but guys, the 'equivalent' part refers to the A Level (for example I'm doing Advanced Higher Art = A Level Art) so it has to be the same subject I'm afraid... And yeah, I know this because I emailed the Bartlett, Sheffield and Cambridge to ask...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crankine)
    Um, yeah, sorry to butt in but guys, the 'equivalent' part refers to the A Level (for example I'm doing Advanced Higher Art = A Level Art) so it has to be the same subject I'm afraid... And yeah, I know this because I emailed the Bartlett, Sheffield and Cambridge to ask...
    has any applicant doing photography/graphics received their drawing task??
    which college are u applying ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSze)
    has any applicant doing photography/graphics received their drawing task??
    which college are u applying ??
    I'm applying to Jesus, sorry I should really put that in my sig.
    I assume you mean UCL drawing task? I'm afraid I don't know anything further about UCL because I didn't end up applying... I don't think anywhere I apply to gives you a drawing task, but that might be because I took Art... Sorry!

Edit: Forgot to say, Edinburgh won't reply until at LEAST January 15! They wait for all applications before deciding. Did you apply to UoEdin or ECA or the joint degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crankine)
    I'm applying to Jesus, sorry I should really put that in my sig.
    I assume you mean UCL drawing task? I'm afraid I don't know anything further about UCL because I didn't end up applying... I don't think anywhere I apply to gives you a drawing task, but that might be because I took Art... Sorry!

Edit: Forgot to say, Edinburgh won't reply until at LEAST January 15! They wait for all applications before deciding. Did you apply to UoEdin or ECA or the joint degree?
    UoEdin, does it make a difference? i thought they're the same course. UCL:shifty: and manchester:shifty: give out drawing tasks to everyone, (i'm doing fine art)

when is ur jesus interview

ReputationRep:
    University of Edinburgh has K100, so does Edinburgh College of Art, but they have just created a new course between them both with a separate UCAS institution code. It shouldn't matter, they are all good places!

Interview on the 16th of Dec. Yours?

ReputationRep:
    6th.. so what are you putting in ur cambridge portfo?
    i stil hvnt REALLY started, even tho i should have, 3 days ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSze)
    6th.. so what are you putting in ur cambridge portfo?
    i stil hvnt REALLY started, even tho i should have, 3 days ago
    Eeek. My folio will have some of last year's work (my final sheets.. in Scotland we do six A2 sized sheets), two sketchbooks (which soudns impressive but they are mostly empty!!!) some oil painting i did in the summer (two A2 sheets) and some design work from my work experience (despite people saying don't put architecture stuff in...) ...There's not much new... I've produced so little this year!! Aah! It sounds loads on paper but its nowhere near the 8-10 sheets + sketchbook/s they recommend.

ReputationRep:
    Back to the whole naming architects in personal statements thing.... I wrote about Gaudi! Possibly a bad idea but he actually was my inspiration for studying architecture....
    Thank god for that trip to Barcelona when I was 11...

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking an A1 portfolio with me. Within that I have six canvases. Along side that, I will have to filter through my A1 mounted sheets of developmental work. I'm going to mount up developmental and final photographs of my models too. A photographic portfolio of London commercial buildings and European regional styles may also be in there somewhere, playing only a minor role. Two sketchbooks will accompany the portfolio.

Plus some lifedrawing pieces and other random drawings and sketches that I can find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dschna)
    I'll be taking an A1 portfolio with me. Within that I have six canvases. Along side that, I will have to filter through my A1 mounted sheets of developmental work. I'm going to mount up developmental and final photographs of my models too. A photographic portfolio of London commercial buildings and European regional styles may also be in there somewhere, playing only a minor role. Two sketchbooks will accompany the portfolio.

Plus some lifedrawing pieces and other random drawings and sketches that I can find.
    Aaah. So jealous. Since we do A2 not A1 sheets at school I feel very limited!
    Photographs - genius! I have a LOT of them and sketches to go with them... I could mount up some of those with some development stuff :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Sorted. Hmm, I think I'll start limiting myself to the amount of information that I give out to competing candidates! haha.

But yes, how else would you display, say, a model that you had constructed?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe :P I hope that wasn't completely serious!

I have sculpture which I think is similar in presentation: just take photos and mount them on a sheet.
    NB there were posts mentioning not to make architectural models of existing buildings incase thats what it is but hopefully not!
    My work experience referee mentioned my (arch.) model making skills which actually isn't that much of a good thing imo....

ReputationRep:
    Why is that not a good thing?

And yes, I know the posts, I was contributing to them, albeit in a humorous manner. haha.

ReputationRep:
    Well it wasn't the best thing to highlight I mean. Then again, the whole thing is pretty unproffesional - I found 3 typos and some glaring grammar mistakes. *sigh* Reading that over I realise how silly it is.... I gotta chillax and say what's done is done and make the best of it.

I'm off now so I'll reply to anything tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Any reason? I've always used a glue stick on black A1 card for this exact reason. Well, by card, I mean firm black (paper?). It's not quite card, but not flimsy paper.

What exactly is spraymount?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.