Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dschna)
    Any reason? I've always used a glue stick on black A1 card for this exact reason. Well, by card, I mean firm black (paper?). It's not quite card, but not flimsy paper.

What exactly is spraymount?
    It's adhesive in a spray can. It gives a lot better coverage than a glue stick, and stops sheets from crinkling as much.

ReputationRep:
    Get the blue can, not the red photo mount though... that stuff sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastrytoaster)
    If you are going to mount anything DO NOT use a gluestick.
    Buy some spraymount from an art shop with a student discount, and mount on firm paper not cardboard, A1 or A2 size.
    because cardboards are too heavy?
    HAHAHAAHA I was think about doing just that!! (gluing on cardboard!)
    thanks for the advice

what do you think about mounting works in A3 sketch book with black pages? ...

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest using blutack instead of glues or other adhesives as it holds very well (put a little behind each corner of the page) and it will stay. It works on cardboard, mountboard and paper...and the best thing about it is you can then easily take it off (unlike glue).

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest using blutack instead of glues or other adhesives as it holds very well (put a little behind each corner of the page) and it will stay. It works on cardboard, mountboard and paper...and the best thing about it is you can then easily take it off (unlike glue).
    Ditto that. I spraymount exam sheets but any folio stuff is blutacked - then you can easily add/remove/re-arrange it to suit different interviews or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend mounting it on expanded foam. It's lighter and firmer than cardboard.

On another note, is it better to take my original (~A1) paintings or just glossy A3 photos of them?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    just use white paper 7p per sheet from cass art. dont be stupid and carry thick card or foam board.

the sketch books alone are pretty heavy and so is the portfolio. so unless you have someone who help you carry/transport it to the interview, then forget it.

try going to dundee uni, walking in the wind and rain with an A1 portfolio and a few sketch books . you will know what i mean...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arct)
    I'd recommend mounting it on expanded foam. It's lighter and firmer than cardboard.
    Expensive though - if its in a folio/folder/display thingy then you don't need any more than thickish paper/thin card.

On another note, is it better to take my original (~A1) paintings or just glossy A3 photos of them?
    I'd say if possible (in terms of weight etc) take your full size paintings - there's no need to do them down with a print if its not necessary for transport or something.

ReputationRep:
    Most photographs don't do my originals must justice so, personally, I'd choose to take my A1 portfolio case and original works to interview.

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion you should always take originals to an inteview unless its physically impossible... there are obviously certain other cases where you might just want to photograph best bits of paintings... and obviously models should be photographed.

but for paintings etc, slot them into a plastic sleeve in a portfolio case and off you go... no fuss.

ReputationRep:
    My portfolio is going to be a heavy one! I have about 7 or so canvases, still with the wooden board mounted behind them. The wood is staying put as the paintings have come straight from my wall!

ReputationRep:
    i struggled so much with an A1 portfolio with just 8 final pieces (litterally just on paper) and a few sketch books walking around Cam. plus the various public transport. blowing around in the wind. I was trying to find somewhere dry to have a cigarette after my first interview (i've always felt bad smoking in cambridge, i dunno why... it just looks too nice a place to smoke in) I think i used my portfolio to shelter from the rain whilst hiding down an alley way

Anyway, you're pretty brave taking wooden mounted stuff... they should give you an offer just for being committed enough to carry out such a task! haha

ReputationRep:
    mount it on lead.

ReputationRep:
    Wow hehe I'm not even considering taking boards... I might have to take my folio to London the day before for a Chinese thing... aargh. This is traumatic. Any ideas of how to make it easier to transport without resorting to photocopies?

ReputationRep:
    As soon as my dad found out that I was going to take a train up to London (1 hour) then travel across london (half and hour) then take another train to Cambridge (1 and a half hours) with my heavy A1 portfolio, he phoned up his work to take the day off and offered to give me a lift up there! Lucky me!

It is a huge thing to take on public transport.

An offer based on my commitment?! I WISH! haha.

Lead is also a possibility. Hmm, I may just consider that.

ReputationRep:
    even driving was a task in cambridge. I parked my car at the park n ride and took the bus in, which is a lot more convenient than trying to find anywhere to park in the city (which is next to impossible).

but yeah, you're lucky your dad has offered to take ya, i can't imagine how bad it would be coming out of london with a portfolio lol

ReputationRep:
    The tube from Waterloo to Euston in the morning rush-hour would be horrific!

I'm not sure I'd want to drive all that way myself. Besides, I drive my mum's car and she has it that day.

All I hope is that the desk that I'm interviewed at isn't too small to display my portfolio to the two interviewers. Only one interview, according to my letter...

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think the desks would always be big enough for an A1 portfolio. I wonder why they're only doing one interview each this year... perhaps its a sign of the massive increase in applications for architecture recently. Or maybe they're just gonna suprise you with another interview at the last minute haha.

ReputationRep:
    There has been an increase in applicants this year of 30% for architecture! And no, they are not allowed to surprise you like that...haha.

But no, not every college is just doing one interview per candidate. I only know of Queens' doing this so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dschna)
    There has been an increase in applicants this year of 30% for architecture! And no, they are not allowed to surprise you like that...haha.

But no, not every college is just doing one interview per candidate. I only know of Queens' doing this so far.
    30%!?!?:mad: are they gona increase the places per applicant
    that'd make it even harder if they didn't (=7.6% admittance)

applicants have a tour by one of the interviewer before the beginning, :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.